• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] ISFJs and depression

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I would like to know...

When an ISFJ is deserted by the people he cares about (or loses them - death and all) and finds himself in a situation of loneliness where he feels unwanted and useless, what does that look like?

How would you feel ISFJs?

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Pessimistic
Unfriendly
Quiet
Darker sense of humor

Crazydaisy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What exactly do you want to know? I recently went through a depression that was brought on by perceived social rejection. I'm not sure the feelings would be much different than any other type but it basically consisted of increasingly negative thoughts about the self that spiraled downwards.

Eventually anxiety kicked in which spiraled faster. The next few months consisted of anxious and depressive thoughts about my future, basically thinking that my life was over. All I can say is thank you Lexapro....

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
What exactly do you want to know? I recently went through a depression that was brought on by perceived social rejection. I'm not sure the feelings would be much different than any other type but it basically consisted of increasingly negative thoughts about the self that spiraled downwards.

Eventually anxiety kicked in which spiraled faster. The next few months consisted of anxious and depressive thoughts about my future, basically thinking that my life was over. All I can say is thank you Lexapro....

Tell me about it, everything you would like to share about it.

Did you grow quiet and inactive with limited social contact?

Snow Turtle

I haven't ever been depressed but I have been upset pretty badly in the past. Usually when I feel like I've been isolated... I start thinking extremely negatively.

- What's the point of having friends?
- I wouldn't be hurt if I didn't need friends in the first place.
- Why do I need friends that much?
- What have I done wrong?
- Actually... It's easy to see why that happened...
- Lots of self-berating and friendship defeatism.
- Wish I could just temporary disappear from my friends (not suicide. Passive agressive behaviour?)

Usually I'm pretty quiet. But you'll know something is wrong when I become SUPER silent and giving limited replies back. Often I'd be feeling like I want to be alone to process my own feelings/lick my own wounds/wallow but it'd be nice for someone to pick me up.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am not sure just how different the I/E is here :blush: .. But I'll add to it.

During depression in the past ..

Envisage a barrel full of negativity and the most self depreciating thoughts imaginable .. This barrel is moving at such great speed downhill which is never ending thus the thoughts gain power to the point, you believe them to be gospal. Rock bottom is wanting it to stop and going to sleep due to the never ending motion of the barrel.

Not a pleasant place to be in. It cripples you until you seek help.

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
While I was suffering from depression I was very pessimistic. Things that I would normally keep up like my appearance and my daily routine I threw out the window. I would lock myself inside for weeks at a time. I would drink lots! I was always thinking of ways I could screw up other people’s perfect lives. I was more spontaneous. In a nutshell I pretty much stopped caring about everything

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would like to know...

When an ISFJ is deserted by the people he cares about (or loses them - death and all) and finds himself in a situation of loneliness where he feels unwanted and useless, what does that look like?

How would you feel ISFJs?

It's extremely difficult for me to cope with loneliness. I am introverted but I really value my loved ones. If I feel like I've been abandoned then I pretty much sink into a funk and do/feel/think the sort of things that others have mentioned in this thread.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Thanks eh, this is all very helpful. :)

Not that I'm glad about you guys being/having been sad and depressed. If you need an open hear, I'll listen.

Last edited:

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I don't usually go through periods of depression, but the one time I did was based on what I saw as an act of betrayal/abandonment (not a relationship, but a very time-tested friendship).

I felt pretty lost - as though I was forced to start a whole new chapter in my life and leave the past behind. Given the reverence I have for the past, that was a very unpleasant feeling. I tried escapism - I stopped doing things I needed to do (ended up with a lot of debt), moved halfway across the country, and tried to get myself excited about "change" and "adventure." I started drinking pretty heavily and went through my first stage of rebellion (I was in my mid-20s). Oh, and I engaged in a whole lot of denial - never talking about what had happened, never admitting to feeling depressed, almost never mentioning the name of the person who had set it all off.