User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Are ISFJs mindreaders??

This isn't as weird a question as it probably sounds.
    I'm very down-to-earth and by no means a hippy with interests in the spiritual realm or whatever (although it can be intriguing), but I'm just intrigued at how my ISFJ boyfriend can seem to, literally, read my mind.

I've noticed it for a while, but just deemed it weird coincidence. Like, I'd think to myself that I really wanted him to call me, and then he'd call. [he just called me at this very moment!!! Point proven.]

Once, his mum accidentally called me and then he called his mum during the conversation. I asked him later why he'd called then and he said he doesn't know, he just felt something weird was happening.

But anyway, what really freaked me out was yesterday I was listening to an obscure song I like (by Diary of Dreams, for reference). He's never heard this song before, I'm sure of it. And yet, when I was listening to it with my headphones on in the room next to one he was in, he started whistling along to it, at exactly the same point in the track that I was listening to. There was no way he could have heard it - I don't play things so loudly on my headphones that anyone else can hear. He did a similar thing this morning with a song that was playing in my head. Really weird.

He also mentions things that have been occupying my mind a lot earlier that day or in the week, completely random things that he would never know I'd been thinking about. My ISFP best friend at school, and my ISFP mum, used to do that actually.

I wonder if SFs are really tuned in to people's thoughts in some subconscious way.

Anyone think there may be a grain of truth in this? Or am I reading too much into it all?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I thought that was an N thing, I have no idea though, sorry
    <3

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

ISFJs are naturally in-tune with other peoples body language. The majority of what you "say" or "think" is expressed through your body, whether you're aware of it or not. Bearing this in mind, if you have the ability to read someone's body you can, essentially, read what is going on in their mind. Well, not exactly what is going on in there, but things like the emotions behind them.

How long have you been together? I went out with an ISFJ for 18 months and were friends four years prior to the relationship. We were basically so in-synch with one another, in terms of body language, habits, etc, that our life seemed to just fit. What seemed like "mind reading" was just being synchronized.
    Um, yeah.

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Had an experience with this ISFJ, that she could read my feelings through the phone. I was quiet because I was confused and she exclaimed: "You sound so disappointed! I feel so bad..." I hadn't said anything. She read my silence or something. I'm an INFJ and I often put the lid on it (I have been misunderstood as independant and aloof many times), but she has a way of reading me very accurately if she hears my voice or sees my body language.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

No one, nor any type, has ever come close to reading my mind, when speaking to me in an attempt to validate this.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

yeah, this sounds like me. For some bizarre reason i know whats going on with people. I even seem to like predict whats going happen that day or within a certain time length. its really weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    yeah, this sounds like me. For some bizarre reason i know whats going on with people. I even seem to like predict whats going happen that day or within a certain time length. its really weird.
    Are you ISFJ or ISFP? I'm confused!

I would say that it probably has something to do with the following ISFJ traits either separately or individually:

* We pay attention to detail and have a good memory.

* We sense things. Not in the same way that N's do, but the outcome can be the same. Maybe it has to do with body language or us using one or more of our 5 senses and then pairing that with our memory of detail.

* We are extremely internally aware. Because we are so internally aware, we can also be extremely aware of other people and how they think, feel, act, etc.

* Much of the time, we are thinking about other people.

My husband would tell you that sometimes I can read his mind. I think it has to do with

- my memory of his facial expressions when he's thinking or feeling certain things

- my memory and awareness of how certain things make him feel or act or have made him feel or act in the past

- my attention to the detail of what he says and my memory of it

- how I would feel or act in the same situation

I have no idea if what I just said makes any sense. It all happens without me thinking about it. It's automatic. I just tried to put it on slow motion and describe it!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

It can also be that you two have become close enough to have a connection beyond the superficially material level (not something specifically to do with type). Stuff like that often happens to me with people I know but I'm neither N nor F dominant.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

My experience is that the World of ENTP's can read my mind.

And I absolutely hate it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Supposedly, INFJs are the mindreaders.

If ISFJs prove to be good at predictions like this as well, though, then perhaps mistypes are more common than previously thought.