User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default SJ's and being smart/intelligent

I am raising this question as it was brought to my attention that someone does not think i am smart/intelligent. For the record, it is only their perceived opinion and i don't care less, however ..

I do openly admit i am not intelligent in the sense i could go on a game show and win the big bucks .. Me, i am street smart, i learned from the mistakes i made and not in a classroom.

However, i do seek knowledge .. Usually one book leads me to another book and i become so engrossed, i do this to become more open minded and to see it from other peoples perspective. I also like facts to be clarified preferably by 2 books.

So how do you define intelligence and being smart? Do you think you are either of these?

You can be smart yet not understand how to grasp social situations. Driving your car whilst uninsured or with bold tyres. Stealing.

Isn't knowledge just taking the information in, storing it and using it when appropriate. Are we not all capable of this?

I admit i only take in information and retain it if
    A- It's quirky
    B- It will come in handy at some point an/or
    C- I need more input on the particular subject.

What are you thinking
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'm thinking you are intelligent.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not an SJ, but I think it's worth noting that being intelligent and being knowledgeable are not the same thing. "Smart" is an awfully vague term though.

Intelligence is better described as a "rate of acquisition," or simply, your ability to learn. Knowledge is simply what has already been acquired.

"Street smart," generally implies "quick learner/thinker." One can be intelligent, but un-knowledgeable on a certain subject.

Not understanding a subject like calculus/etc. does not necessarily imply that you are not intelligent, but maybe that you haven't yet studied that subject yet.

In closing, from what you have written Sas, you sound intelligent.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm definitely more street smart than book smart. I really suck at being a university student. LOL! I am however, fairly quick about learning academically if it is something I am interested in. But that probably goes for everyone....
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

I consider myself smart and intelligent. However, I am not knowledgeable about a lot of things that most people are knowledgeable about.

In my opinion, there are so many things out there that I want to learn and I have no desire to educate myself about things that don't apply to me or affect me, even if it does make me appear more smart to other people.

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I admit i only take in information and retain it if
    A- It's quirky
    B- It will come in handy at some point an/or
    C- I need more input on the particular subject.

What are you thinking
    I am thinking that this describes me, as well. Those are the same reasons I will seek out information and commit it to memory.

I'll also often learn about a subject that I know will help another person. If someone has a problem that needs fixing, I have the ability and often the desire to find the answer so I can help them with their problem.

I do love to learn.
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Isn't knowledge just taking the information in, storing it and using it when appropriate. Are we not all capable of this?
    That is one of the aspects of intelligence, and SJs can be especially good at retaining details and facts. Practical sense is as well, and Ns can be terrible at it.

The thing is though, there's another aspect of intelligence that deals with being able to think abstractly and comprehend abstract ideas. SJs don't tend to be the best at this. And some people that define intelligence give preference to abstract abilities.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

This

Quote Originally Posted by wrldisquiethere View Post
    In my opinion, there are so many things out there that I want to learn and I have no desire to educate myself about things that don't apply to me or affect me, even if it does make me appear more smart to other people.
    versus

Quote Originally Posted by wrldisquiethere View Post
    I do love to learn.
    Is why an INTP (for example) casts a wary eye at SJs that say they love learning. For the INTP there are no boundaries to learning. They learn the most useless things, all for the sake of gaining knowledge. It's why an INTP believes an SJ to be limited when it comes to intelligence/learning.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Is why an INTP (for example) casts a wary eye at SJs that say they love learning. For the INTP there are no boundaries to learning. They learn the most useless things, all for the sake of gaining knowledge. It's why an INTP believes an SJ to be limited when it comes to intelligence/learning.
    I think everyone prioritizes certain kinds of information over others. There is limited time, resources, and brain space which can be devoted to any sort of topic. This includes trivia, theoretical physics, psychology, information how value systems are created, information about how to word things to communicate with the utmost emotional sensitivity, keeping up with computer technology, understanding exactly why someone believes people and dinosaurs lived on earth together, learning outdated technology for a job that pays little, memorizing all the traditions and text in a given religion, excelling at crossword puzzles, learning everything about children's literature, etc. I seriously wonder if there is any one person who values this sort of diversity of knowledge equally. Different types value different sorts of information. It can appear that one is investigating everything when they might actually be blind to certain areas of disinterest.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Why do you "cast a wary eye" at those who choose to educate themselves primarily of things that are practical? It's fine if it's your preference, but do you consider it superior to learn about even those things that you consider useless?
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    ESFJ

How beneficial are those most useless things? How do you get to apply them in life if they are in fact useless?

Maybe that comes down to the fact (possibly) we all do enjoy learning although we SJ's may be more selective. You INTP's do it for pure pleasure whereas we may do it so that it may be beneficial to others and ourselves.

Hmmm.

Saying that though .. I am going to read Cromwell and Queen Elizabeth 1st soon .. which has no real relevance in my life other than being told a film i watched was not a true portrayal.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe