User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    I

Intelligence imo is a combination of things - ability to grasp concepts, memory, intuition, logic, knowledge, decision-making, task speed, etc.

I am intelligent, I have been told so by people and I believe I am. I am cerebrally quick. However, some concepts go beyond my head. I am not very creative or intuitive, admittedly. However, I have a phenomenal ability to remember dates and facts, especially long-term things. I have been commended for this, and it's come in use many times. I am very quick at doing tasks too, but am not really knowledgeable admittedly. I would still say I'm intelligent.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Making assumptions about a person's intelligence based on a system of categorization as tenuous as a self-reporting personality assessment is one of the more strange things I have encountered. This is especially true since the system itself is not skill based. Intelligence itself is a largely subjective measurement, but test scores based on performing skill are more interesting in interpreting intelligence than socially constructed categories based on observation.

Ideas about intelligence seem to be becoming stranger. There is some bizarre stuff going on in terms of self-reporting IQs. I'm not sure why that is, but regarding this topic I would disregard type and look to the person's ability to perform intellectually. If someone wants something more definitive, post test scores or demonstrate a contribution or ability. Maybe people who dismiss others' intelligence arbitrarily are missing a sense of personal validation and use safer means which cannot be definitively measured or proven, are not falsifiable, and as a result are safer to hold onto as truth.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I think everyone prioritizes certain kinds of information over others. There is limited time, resources, and brain space which can be devoted to any sort of topic. This includes trivia, theoretical physics, psychology, information how value systems are created, information about how to word things to communicate with the utmost emotional sensitivity, keeping up with computer technology, understanding exactly why someone believes people and dinosaurs lived on earth together, learning outdated technology for a job that pays little, memorizing all the traditions and text in a given religion, excelling at crossword puzzles, learning everything about children's literature, etc. I seriously wonder if there is any one person who values this sort of diversity of knowledge equally. Different types value different sorts of information. It can appear that one is investigating everything when they might actually be blind to certain areas of disinterest.
    Sure, but for NTs (esp. INTPs) little thought is given to the value of preferring one subject over another.

Quote Originally Posted by wrldisquiethere View Post
    Why do you "cast a wary eye" at those who choose to educate themselves primarily of things that are practical? It's fine if it's your preference, but do you consider it superior to learn about even those things that you consider useless?
    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    How beneficial are those most useless things? How do you get to apply them in life if they are in fact useless?

Maybe that comes down to the fact (possibly) we all do enjoy learning although we SJ's may be more selective. You INTP's do it for pure pleasure whereas we may do it so that it may be beneficial to others and ourselves.
    You place limits on learning. Limitations are limitations. "Love to learn" doesn't come with a list of qualifiers for the INTP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

the ability to make philosophical distinctions.

We all have different definitions, because we're different types. ISFJs don't understand philosophy. INTPs don't understand x and y. So I guess intelligence is being what you're not.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

In my view and limited understanding, the preference of the combination of cognitive functions versus the level of the ability of a mind to use these processes, in whichever combination or individually, are virtually independent variables. The former is a natural propensity borne of a preference whilst the latter is the proficiency with and hence the ability to utilize them. To give a loose corollary, treat them, if you will, as types of computers/machines versus their processing capacity and speed. The latter to me is intelligence. Hence no type has greater or lesser intelligence per se even though it is true that at various times various kinds of intelligence are valued to varying degrees.

That said, it took an ESFJ to state it in so many words, that they had assigned roles and essentially boxed virtually everything and were looking to build upon them and build using them all the while consolidating those boxes, for me to assign only to them and others like them a box which they had defined.
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Sure, but for NTs (esp. INTPs) little thought is given to the value of preferring one subject over another.
    The distinction you refer to is one of pragmatism and application then? It's Fs not Ss that are associated with "valuing", so it would be the SFJs who would be associated with "valuing" something, not STJs.

For the NT, what is the filter that chooses one area over another? Why is one thing more interesting in a given moment than something else?

Edit: It could be interesting to compare the diversity and types of topics at the different single-type personality forums.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The distinction you refer to is one of pragmatism and application then? It's Fs not Ss that are associated with "valuing", so it would be the SFJs who would be associated with "valuing" something, not STJs.

For the NT, what is the filter that chooses one area over another? Why is one thing more interesting in a given moment than something else?
    And yet STJs do place value on "practical" information over theoretical.

Who knows what the filter is. I have no idea why I decided to read about the history of split infinitives in the English language yesterday, but I did.

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post

You place limits on learning. Limitations are limitations. "Love to learn" doesn't come with a list of qualifiers for the INTP.
    And that's fine. I don't have a problem with the variety of things you choose to learn about.

I'm just questioning, once again, whether or not you consider it to be superior or more intelligent than collecting and storing information about selective things.
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

And that's fine. I don't have a problem with the variety of things you choose to learn about.

I'm just questioning, once again, whether or not you consider it to be superior or more intelligent than collecting and storing information about selective things.
    Intelligent? No, I don't define intelligence by knowledge.

I was just stating above how NTs/INTPs often view this subject. Not all of them though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I think he's differentiating between the worldview that reacts to things by going, "hmmm... don't have time to read the six volume set for something so unrelated to my life goals and skillsets, but I can read the Wikipedia article while I'm eating my Cheerios" vs. "that is unrelated to my goals and skillsets" and not touching it for that reason.

Because by the ubiquitous latter definition everyone loves to learn, which makes the descriptor of the individual who can't not learn because their brain would esplode from curiosity kinda useless.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis