• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Link Between Spelling and Personality Type?

MBTI Enthusiast

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello! This is my first thread, but this is something I have been wondering about for a while:

Is spelling capability related to personality type?

My first instinct is that Sensors would be better spellers than Intuitives when it comes to routine words. (I'm not necessarily wondering about the types of the national spelling bee champs, although it would be interesting to know...) However, I do know of many deviations from this theory. The reason I ask is because I am trying to distinguish the S/N preference of my roommate, and I have noticed that she often misspells or asks me for the spelling of words. I have never had a problem with spelling, and I find it interesting when others seem to struggle (or simply don't care). I had the gist that my roommate was a Sensor, but this would, again, contradict the theory.

Please add your thoughts. :)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm ISTJ, and a natural-born good speller. However, my sister is ISFJ and she is not a great speller. So in this case, the S/N divide doesn't matter.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This probably has to do less with MBTI preferences and has more to do with the measure of various kinds of intelligences within people.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've always heard it was a J/P thing. Particularly since one NTP told me that spelling was just "conventional cant" and didn't matter enough for him to concern himself with it. He said that only Js would care about such a thing.

Of course, what he said makes me think Ps are sloppy and imprecise people who don't see any value in correct spelling, and that they are less likely to learn or apply it.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Ps are sloppy and imprecise people who don't see any value in correct spelling, and that they are less likely to learn or apply it.

eye theenk yer rong lolol

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yes, I'm a very good speller. People get mad when I point out their idiotic spelling mistakes. I just take pleasure in it. It comes naturally. :)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Might tend to correlate with verbal intelligence, but I don't know about type.

I would say SJs seem to have the most likelihood of caring about precise spelling, but I know a lot of SJs who slaughter written language :(

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I agree that it is a J/P thing.

I am an English major and I usually make A's, but most of my talent lies in content and creativity, not in things like spelling and grammar. If I ever theoretically were to teach, I would teach reading or literature, not language arts.

Because, honestly, I don't really care enough about stuff like that to teach it to anyone else. I hate when people are overly picky about stuff like that.

Jaguar

Of course, what he said makes me think Ps are sloppy and imprecise people who don't see any value in correct spelling, and that they are less likely to learn or apply it.

Don't sugar-coat it, tell me how you really feel.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm actually very good at spelling (won my school spelling bee) You wouldnt know because I type like a maniac and dont care to check my spelling on the internet. Its a waste of my time in my oppinion. As long as I say what needs to be said, I'm all good.

I agree that it is a J/P thing.

I am an English major and I usually make A's, but most of my talent lies in content and creativity, not in things like spelling and grammar. If I ever theoretically were to teach, I would teach reading or literature, not language arts.

Because, honestly, I don't really care enough about stuff like that to teach it to anyone else. I hate when people are overly picky about stuff like that.

:yes: This just as well explains my point of view as well.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmm. I don't really know if you could find much of a link between them - maybe TJs are most likely to care? Everyone in my family, including me, can spell well and easily - it is part of the family culture to care about spelling, though. My ENTP best friend sometimes mispells her OWN name, on the other hand... I know at least one ISFP who is at least as good at spelling/grammar as I am, and lots of INTJs. I think there are plenty of Ns who care about getting it right and plenty of Ss who don't.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Don't sugar-coat it, tell me how you really feel.

Okay, what I really feel is that HE is sloppy and imprecise.

Many other Ps are not so sloppy and imprecise as him, but I do find that this disregard is more common with Ps, and that they're less ashamed of or bothered by it in general than Js, even if they are personally good at spelling.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
my spelling sucks. The messed up thing about spelling is that people will assume bad spellers are stupid. I think spelling is stupid. Where the fuck did the K in know come from and what is the use. Spell check on computer may have saved me from a life of flipping burgers and made me a professional.
My grammar is horrible to. However with grammar I have respect. I even enjoy picking up Strunk & White to appreciate it better. The sad thing is it doesn't stick. I think it is more of a J/P thang too! Although maybe im a bit lexdystic. ;)

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I was a great speller until after high school, when I started using the computer more than pen and paper.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So much easier to just pay an STJ to proofread.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've won a few spelling bees, and I'm probably one of the better spellers I know (and I know S types that are horrible at spelling, and N types that are great with spelling, so I don't know about your theory). However, I don't care about others' spelling mistakes. Especially online. I tend to make them sometimes too, but as long as the mistakes aren't excessive and the text is readable, I don't mind. Professional text is a different story though; if you are going to publish something and wish for it to be taken seriously, you should probably check for spelling and grammar.

(I use lots of commas and semicolons too)

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm an INTP, and I'm a grammar Nazi.

As for misspelling your own name...My name's too god damned long and I just write it as fast as possible. Grammar Nazi'ing doesn't apply to one's John Hancock, in my opinion.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
If you want to link spelling and type, I would try looking at function usage. I've always had excellent spelling skills. I learn to spell the same way my Mom does, but it's essentially just use of Si. I remember the way things were spelled and I spell them they way I saw them initially. (Which works negatively in the case where I see something spelled incorrectly the first time --- I generally continue to spell it wrong like that until someone points it out.)

My Dad, however, is *horrible* at spelling. It's paradoxical, really. He is incredibly intelligent, but spelling just isn't his thing. His writing isn't that great either. ; )

He's an ISTP. Not anywhere near as much Si usage as me. Or Mom, for that matter, another ISTJ.

I wouldn't necessarily label this in an S/N dichotomy or even a J/P.....I would just look for the individual in question's talents and abilities....and connect the dots.

On another note....Te could have a hand in it as well. Consider the apparent order and structure of words. Would Te not be concerned with making them right? Of course, this would make any IxTJ type care about it --- and of course the other types that utilize Te.

Thoughts?