User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't have a particular natural ability with spelling, but I do with spell checkers. When I see that red, squiggly line, I know something isn't right.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENFP

Well... According to this thread I cannot spell. Or don't care.

How is spelling related to type? Given that there are going to be many people of every type who can spell or cannot spell, I doubt any MBTI trends will be found.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

Dad - Good speller/grammar nazi (INTP)
    Sister - Amazing in all respects (ISTP)
    Me - Knows how to install and use a spell checker (ENFP)
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

To the OP: I think IS' are the best spellers.

MBTI
    ENTP

I hate spelling checkers. They are correcting your spelling already when you want to take care of an intern consistent, good story first. It's no good correcting spelling and then rewriting the story. I turn them off. When I'm ready, I check my spelling myself and only then turn the damned thing on. I always want to beat the spelling checker!

I was thinking about the relation with type...
    I guess an SJ would take care of correct spelling regardless of interest. If I wasn't interested in language, I would probably care less...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I really don't care about spelling, but since teachers are totally fixated about this weird, useless matter, I forcibly became good at it. Here in Italy you can lose 3 grades in an assignment if you spell 2 words incorrectly. Once I wrote a long, complex story for my german class. I made 4 spelling mistakes, got a D (she said she should have given me an E, since the mistakes were 4, but the story was good). Other kids that wrote a short, idiotic story with perfect spelling got As. The message was basically that spelling is the most important thing about a given language.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I really don't care about spelling, but since teachers are totally fixated about this weird, useless matter, I forcibly became good at it. Here in Italy you can lose 3 grades in an assignment if you spell 2 words incorrectly. Once I wrote a long, complex story for my german class. I made 4 spelling mistakes, got a D (she said she should have given me an E, since the mistakes were 4, but the story was good). Other kids that wrote a short, idiotic story with perfect spelling got As. The message was basically that spelling is the most important thing about a given language.
    That's a bit much, don't you think?
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    That's a bit much, don't you think?
    Yeah, but what can you do.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

I have always done well with both spelling and grammar.
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm an excellent intuitive speller, my INTP son is not.

I think being a good speller involves a lot of different things, least of which is caring that you spell words "correctly." Sheer brain processing, detailed memory, willingness to practice, exposure to lots of words, etc... it's kind of hard to narrow it to a particular type since much of this is "basic human skillset" stuff, not necessarily function-based.

I think you'll see a lot of SJ people in proofreading because it suits their temperament, but it doesn't mean they are naturally better spellers, they're just quick to perceive and compare things and weed out the "incorrect" as their natural mode of operation.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft