User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't think it has to do with type per se, but more with a person's relationship with written language. I could see people who learned to read via the sight-word method being better spellers than those who learned via phonics, simply due to the differing conceptualizations of textual processing those two techniques provide.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I don't think it's Si, at least not in all cases. I'm pretty particular about spelling and Si generally fails me. So in that case, it's probably Te, or just generally being kind of anal.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I won my city spelling bee in 5th grade, but really I just read all the time and had a good memory. I don't go out of my way to adhere, however the built in spell checker in firefox is the primary reason I use it. I like to be precise.

Like Onemoretime said, I think it's just a combination of your exposure to the written language and your innate ability to remember stuffs.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by FallaciaSonata View Post
    If you want to link spelling and type, I would try looking at function usage. I've always had excellent spelling skills. I learn to spell the same way my Mom does, but it's essentially just use of Si. I remember the way things were spelled and I spell them they way I saw them initially.
    That's the case for me - that's why I'm such a good speller. Because when I usually see a word for the first time, the picture sticks in my head like a photo.

But like I said, my ISFJ sister doesn't spell nearly as well as I do. Maybe you were right about Te, or maybe it's the combination of Si and Te. Or the most probable reason is it doesn't have anything to do with type or function.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Might tend to correlate with verbal intelligence, but I don't know about type.
    No, if it did, I'd be a horrible speller. My memory helps me more with spelling than anything else.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I won my city spelling bee in 5th grade, but really I just read all the time and had a good memory. I don't go out of my way to adhere, however the built in spell checker in firefox is the primary reason I use it. I like to be precise.

Like Onemoretime said, I think it's just a combination of your exposure to the written language and your innate ability to remember stuffs.
    Agreed. I've always been a good speller. Although, along with ENFPfer my use of the computer has actually lowered my spelling ability. It's certainly not a J/P, S/N, or Q/Z thing.

Read more, spell better!

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Agreed. I've always been a good speller. Although, along with ENFPfer my use of the computer has actually lowered my spelling ability. It's certainly not a J/P, S/N, or Q/Z thing.

Read more, spell better!
    Odd, I have found the same thing happening to me.

Spelling always came easy, most of my friends and family phone me whenever they have anything important they need to write just to ask me to spell things. (lazy sods don't want to use a dictionary and seem unable to remember, no matter how many times I show them, how to use the spell checker on their pc's )

Grammar eludes me though.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm an ISFJ and have always been great at spelling. I've won quite a few spelling bees in my time. However, my INFP husband is a writer and he is an awesome speller as well. We are both good with grammar too. I don't think it's a type thing per sae. I think it possibly has to do with hemispheres of our brain.

My youngest son is not good with spelling, grammar, etc (he's an ISFP), but he's excellent with math and science. I despise math and had to take a remedial math class in college for no credit just to take the basic Algebra class. You know how they say some people are right brained or left brained (I think they are balance brained people too)...I think we all are good with different things. I wish I was better at math!

I do think how much you read does relate to how well you can spell and your grammar. We didn't have a tv until I was 12 and I, so I read books like crazy. When I would take the annual testing at school, I would score off the charts on things like "figuring out the meaning of words by their context" and things like that. My sister, on the other hand (also an ISFJ, weirdly) was outside playing baseball or building treehouses with my brothers, rather than reading. She's terrible with spelling and grammar.

Anyway, I don't think it's related to personality type.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Sounds like the verdict is that it's not particularly correlated with anything

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchop View Post
    I do think how much you read does relate to how well you can spell and your grammar. We didn't have a tv until I was 12 and I, so I read books like crazy. When I would take the annual testing at school, I would score off the charts on things like "figuring out the meaning of words by their context" and things like that. My sister, on the other hand (also an ISFJ, weirdly) was outside playing baseball or building treehouses with my brothers, rather than reading. She's terrible with spelling and grammar.
    That was pretty much my situation growing up too
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchop View Post
    My youngest son is not good with spelling, grammar, etc (he's an ISFP), but he's excellent with math and science. I despise math and had to take a remedial math class in college for no credit just to take the basic Algebra class. You know how they say some people are right brained or left brained (I think they are balance brained people too)...I think we all are good with different things. I wish I was better at math!
    I'm awesome at math, spelling, and grammar. I don't think spelling and grammar have to do with the right side of the brain (or the left side for that matter).

brainheart

I don't know. I'm a freak for spelling and correct grammar. The first thing I will notice on a page is a misspelled word. I will be laid back and sloppy about things I'm not interested in, but words and language... to me they matter so I notice and try to be perfect.