• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ's and your internal dialogue

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
What are you saying in your head? (very personal i know)

It is usually positive, negative? Are you cynical or pessimistic about yourself and situations?

Which leads onto ..

Do you allow your past and the events that happened, to dictate what happens in your present and possible future?

I'll start. My thinking is positive when i am doing things, i know what i am capable of say in the workplace and will demonstrate this. My thinking towards myself can be viewed as limited which i am in the process of changing.

Is it possible to view yourself as only partially awesome?

I used to think that what happened would happen again but i again have changed my thinking process regarding this as to an extent i was self prophesizing my life with negative thinking.

It is amazing what a little confidence in yourself can do and the kind of positive attention it can bring.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Hmm... most often my head is occupied with precalculating any near future event that might take place. Such as, "what if that person would come talk to me?" or "what if she'd spill that coffee all over my papers?". I would go throught few different variations of the dialogue that might take place after such an event.

So I'm not really talking to myself, as much as I'm displaying my possible future to myself.

That might be because I have little doubt for myself. I know my limits and skills very well, so my head is more concerned with the outer reality. But of course every then and I now I do question myself. "Did I do this because I was afraid of something?" "Is this what I really want, or am I feeling good only because I'm escaping something else?"

I do keep an internal record of what has come to pass, but I also recognize that each time everything is little bit different. "You can't step into the same river twice."

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My internal dialogue can be like a machine gun sometimes...and I worry ALOT! I've been trying to get into meditation for stress relief (related to weight loss too) and I cannot seem to turn my mind off without medication (anti-anxiety.)

I would say that my dialogue tends to be more negative than positive (which I'm trying to change.) However, I don't look to the past too much -- which is really weird because apparently ISFJs are supposed to look towards the past. There are things I'm confident in (my work, my intelligence) and things I'm not so confident about (my weight, my looks sometimes, parenting.)

An example of 5 minutes of my daily dialogue:

"We need to pay the _____ bill. We are so short on money right now. I hate being short on money. Wyatt is going to need a coat soon and I need to put aside money for that. He looked cold this morning when I dropped him off for school. I wonder how he'll do on his biology test. He said he studied, but I didn't see him studying for long. I need to check the website for his grade later. Which reminds me that I got an e-mail yesterday from the library saying the books I reserved were in. I need to go pick those up. I wonder when I can do that? Maybe after work? But tomorrow we are meeting with ___ clients and I don't know how long that will take or if I'll be able to leave on time. The extra hours will come in handy on my paycheck for the extra money though. I don't want to stay late, but I like the extra money. We need the extra money. I'm hungry. What can I eat? What did I eat today and approximately how many calories was it? I had fruit for breakfast and a turkey sandwich for lunch, so I still probably have about 600 calories left. Should I split that into a snack and a meal or just eat a meal? I should probably leave a little room for a snack later, so I'll split it up. I wish I could just eat whatever I wanted. I hate having to watch everything I eat. But I need to lose weight. My 10's were super tight today...uggh it was so gross. I felt so fat. I need to get serious about losing weight, I can't believe how much weight I've gained, it's just gross. I swear that when I'm happy, I just get fat. If I'm depressed or unhappy, I have no problem staying skinny. It's good that I'm happy, but I want to be happy and thin. I just heard the dryer buzzer go off. I better go get the clothes out before they wrinkle. "

Wow...I just realized that I'm pretty negative! My favorite things to do are read and watch movies...and I think mostly just to shut my brain down!

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
I range between the two extremes. I usually think out loud too, even when I'm alone.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I have to agree with Habba, here. That's almost exactly what I do....pre-calculate the near future. I do the very same thing. The only exception is I also do a lot of pre-planning in my head....but mostly I do what he describes. Nice post, Habba.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I have to agree with Habba, here. That's almost exactly what I do....pre-calculate the near future. I do the very same thing. The only exception is I also do a lot of pre-planning in my head....

I think I do pre-planning as well. I don't want to initiate a dialog with anyone I don't know without first playing it over and over again inside my head.

This of course leads me being very preoccupied all the time. I don't keep close watch to my surroundings most of the time. This is especially true with in crowds (in a bus, for an example).