• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs: How's your sense of direction?

cyanidebaby

MBTI Type
iNFp
Enneagram
4w5
Hi,
I'm doing a 16 film project about MBTI Types, and there's still a few niggly questions I need to ask certain types, some of which might seem strange, at the moment there are just two:

Do you get lost easily or not?
Do you often find you are asked to speed up when doing certain things?

Thanks very much in advance
Laura

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't get lost easily.....

I look for patterns in whatever I do- that helps to speed things up. So if you are talking about traveling and such...not really. Especially in or around Philly. I know that Philly is the Southeast corner of PA, so If I'm lost in PA, most likely I have to go south or east to get back to Philly. And if I'm in New Jersey, I go west (north or south is a little more tricky). Little things like that that won't fail me.

If something is new, I take my time gathering information until I've developed a specific pattern. In the process I may start off slow, but my process will either cause me to catch up, or the quality is so tight there are little to no errors.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I have a very good sense of direction. :yes: When hiking one time, my brother-in-law got lost.... we did not have a compass. He argued that a certain was was South... I eventually persuaded him to follow me and sure enough, I got us out. :D

If I don't know what I'm doing, I'll probably do it slowly until I get the hang of it. Slowly but accurately.
Once I know what I'm doing, I'll speed up. So yes, depending on what I'm doing, I will be told to speed up... until I get the hang of it. :yes:

cyanidebaby

MBTI Type
iNFp
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks for the prompt replies...What are your thoughts on Person 1 here please, any resemblance to ISTJ at all do you think? His type confuses me a lot.

Person 1: Isn't New Zealand an island?
Person 2: Hold on, Person 1 - can you just explain to everyone how you perceive Britain in your head?
Person 3: As in, which way up is it? What's at the top?
Person 1: What is the top? That is a cartographic convention that I happen not to agree with.
Person 2: Well, what town is nearest to France?
Person 1: John O'Groats.
Person 2: So what's up near Iceland?
Person 1: Cornwall. What Person 2 is alluding to is my mental mapping - which has an electrical malfunction of some sort. For some reason Britain is upside down in my head and the rest of Europe is the right way up. It makes getting around hotels quite difficult.
Person 2: How much of my life have I spent waiting for you in receptions at posh hotels, waiting for you to find your way down?
Person 1: Probably several minutes.
Person 3: Don't you think it would be fun to let Person 1 do all the navigation for the tour?
Person 1: Application of maps is fine but I don't have an innate sense of direction.
Person 2: Person 1 how many Albert Halls are there in London?
Person 1: To you, one, but to me there are two. There's the Albert Hall that you know, but further east - which is actually west, no it is east but west to me - there is actually another one poking out of what is otherwise a grey mist. This is what I mean about this...
Person 2: Oh God, he's off now. Person 1 - can you understand why we think you're a mental?
Person 1: No, not really.
Person 2: And you went to college to learn the harpsichord... in Lancaster.
Person 1: Mmm, it was very nice

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Never. As I've said before, I've a build-in GPS in my head.

Sometimes I might get little bit carried away with insignificant details, but most of the time I'm well aware of schedules and deadlines. Even if they are just mental ones.

I think that person 1:

- Is most likely a strong J
- Could probably be an I
- Could be either S or N... probably no strong preferences here
- For some reason NF popped in my head at the end of dialog, maybe beause of Harpsichord... Maybe an INFJ? They are not actually *that* faraway from ISTJ. Ni -> Si and Te -> Fe.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

I don't really get lost easily, because I can generally visualize which streets and roads to take, especially if I've been there before. I can also picture the blueprints of a house easily even if I'm not looking at it (as if I'm looking over the house).

Speed up when doing things? I guess sometimes, it depends what I'm doing though and how tired/alert I feel at the time.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My sister and dad [both ISTJs] have horrendous senses of direction. I don't know what it is or why. Zero spacial awareness whatsoever.

cyanidebaby

MBTI Type
iNFp
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks everyone so far, this is going to really help research a lot:)

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
My sister and dad [both ISTJs] have horrendous senses of direction. I don't know what it is or why. Zero spacial awareness whatsoever.
Thanks for this! I didn't want to be the first ISTJ to come out and say it, but: I have a horrible sense of direction. The only way I find my way is by printing out a map, mapquest directions (with he exact miles between distances printed out) or using a GPS. If I have directions or a map available, I can follow them perfectly :laugh: ...otherwise I'm completely lost.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ

Not really. On hikes/rides in the "wilderness" around here I pretty much never lose my sense of direction and how to get back, even when we've gone several miles. In cities I am not quite good as good, especially when there are a lot of nasty one-way streets interfering with where I am trying to go.

Almost never. I may be atypical in that respect. I was a very slapdash kid and I still tend to want to hurry all the time. I tend to develop a routine for each little task I do and then I can go through it quite fast.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not really. I have a kind-of-good sense of direction, but not a great one. As AutumnReverie said, when I check a map first, even when I don't take it with me, I'll pretty much be fine. Just from looking at it that one time.
Every day of my life. I comb through so many details that things always go slowly, but are finished perfectly.