User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 65

  1. #1
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default Fear of the unknown

    I don't know if you other SJs experience this, but I know me myself, sometimes I have a fear of the immediate future and what may happen. Don't know if this is because of strong Si or inferior Ne (or something else), but I'll sometimes think of bad scenarios and sort of use them as an excuse or deterrant against doing something. Any others experience this?

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I don't know if you other SJs experience this, but I know me myself, sometimes I have a fear of the immediate future and what may happen. Don't know if this is because of strong Si or inferior Ne (or something else), but I'll sometimes think of bad scenarios and sort of use them as an excuse or deterrant against doing something. Any others experience this?
    I wonder if it's Si or Ne too even though I'm not an SJ, because I have strong Ne and inferior Si - the flip flop of you - and I do the same thing.

    Or it could just be a generalized anxiety disorder or OCD. I have anxiety.

  3. #3
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I wonder if it's Si or Ne too even though I'm not an SJ, because I have strong Ne and inferior Si - the flip flop of you - and I do the same thing.

    Or it could just be a generalized anxiety disorder or OCD. I have anxiety.
    Well, it could be my OCD but I'm wondering if a big part of it has to do with inferior Ne. Interesting what you say, and I happened to find these quotes (from the given link) about the different attitudes toward the unknown:


    Link: Extraverted Intuition -

    Extraverted Intuition (Ne) is the attitude that the unknown is filled with wonderful things. To make use of them, you must be flexible in your goals. If you try to set things up so that only something known to be good can happen, you close your eyes to the zillions of opportunities that you can't know or define in terms of what you know now. As more of the unknown becomes clear, the more it changes your understanding of the (currently) known.

    ...

    (Compare Introverted Sensation, which leads to the exact opposite attitude toward the unknown. Ne says to anchor yourself nowhere, so you can continuously adapt to exploit unknown opportunities; Si says to anchor yourself firmly to what matters regardless of change, in order to keep out the unknown and its attendant, unknowable risks.)

    Link: Introverted Sensation -

    Introverted Sensation (Si) is the attitude that the unknown mostly contains threats that will undermine life and order. Given the precariousness of life--so many things have to be jjjjust right--the odds of something unknown being beneficial are very low. Consequently life demands that we carefully filter the unknown before letting it into a position of influence, that we construct barriers against the unknown, etc.

    ...

    From the Si standpoint, the more you're going to depend on something, the more carefully you'd better inspect it, because you never know what unknown things might go awry, you only know that most of them are bad.

    (Compare Extraverted Intuition, which leads to the exact opposite attitude toward the unknown.)
    According to the link, it says Ne-dominants cherish the unknown, whereas Si-dominants avoid it. But it's interesting that you (as an Ne-dominant) have a similar attitude as me about the unknown.

  4. #4
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Well, it could be my OCD but I'm wondering if a big part of it has to do with inferior Ne. Interesting what you say, and I happened to find these quotes (from the given link) about the different attitudes toward the unknown:


    Link: Extraverted Intuition -




    Link: Introverted Sensation -



    According to the link, it says Ne-dominants cherish the unknown, whereas Si-dominants avoid it. But it's interesting that you (as an Ne-dominant) have a similar attitude as me about the unknown.
    I didn't as a younger person. I had a very stereotypical Ne dom attitude in my late teens and early twenties. I completely cherished the unknown, hated being in one place, and was convinced the future only held spectacular things.

    Then reality happened, most likely as a result of me being too ridiculously uprooted, spontaneous, and open to experience. I then switched to the other extreme, more like the Si description.

    I'm just now in the past couple of years finding balance between the two. As I say, I have an anxiety disorder, could be post-traumatic stress. I am now nervous about things that didn't used to scare me at all.

  5. #5
    Senior Member 2XtremeENFP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    446

    Default

    definitely Si + Ne
    definitely

  6. #6
    Senior Member FallaciaSonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj
    Posts
    159

    Default

    I don't necessarily fear the unknown, but I suffer a great deal of stress when bad happens spontaneously. This is probably just my need for order and plans here, but that's what happens.

    On another note, I do feel incredibly uncomfortable in a situation where I have to do something I've never done before, or if someone expects something of me and I don't know *exactly* what it is.

    Let's take yesterday and today as an example. First off, I have no problems whatsoever with working overtime, or coming into work on a day off. I can do that.

    Here's what I loathe: The impulsiveness of it all. It's not that they call me in that bothers me.....it's that they do it at random. It would be so much nicer if, at the beginning of the week, they say, "Hey, we might have to call you in later this week" because then I won't make plans.

    I know that's highly demanding and impossible, because people are infamous for having emergencies and not being able to show up, or just being lazy in general. But it's horribly inconvenient when I've already planned my whole day out, homework included, and they want me to come stock their creamed corn. (Which isn't even my job, technically. I'm the produce guy.)

    But hey, it's extra hours. And it looks good to management. It's a win - win, minus the terrible inconvenience. ; )

    Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins

  7. #7
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    I used to fear the unknown .. until the unknown hit with the biggest 4x4 you have ever seen and i suffered major internal injuries. lol

    Now i have experience with it, it is not so bad.

    I fear certain situations but again that is due to past experiences.

    I do know however, that fear although not necessarily a bad thing can restrict what i do with my life and only getting one chance i am trying to think positively and constructively.

    I have no idea where i will be in 5-10 years. I do know that wherever i am, it is because i am meant to be there to learn whatever lesson is needed at that particular time.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

  8. #8
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I used to fear the unknown .. until the unknown hit with the biggest 4x4 you have ever seen and i suffered major internal injuries. lol

    Now i have experience with it, it is not so bad.

    I fear certain situations but again that is due to past experiences.
    But don't you fear the unknown even if you've experienced it (even moreso actually)? You said you were hit by a 4x4, do you ever fear that happening again since it already happened before?


    Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    definitely Si + Ne
    definitely
    Hmm, I had a feeling. I wonder why Si + Ne works this way?


    Quote Originally Posted by FallaciaSonata View Post
    Here's what I loathe: The impulsiveness of it all. It's not that they call me in that bothers me.....it's that they do it at random. It would be so much nicer if, at the beginning of the week, they say, "Hey, we might have to call you in later this week" because then I won't make plans.
    Yeah, that is annoying.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Yep. The future's always felt a little blurry to me. Most of the time I hate uncertainty unless I'm moving towards it consciously. Since discovering MBTI I've basically linked the whole dislike of unexpected major changes to Si being forced to adapt to a future that may be trouble. It does fit in with the whole cautious (pessimistic) attitude that SJs are supposedly known for.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Silly_Siren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I wonder if it's Si or Ne too even though I'm not an SJ, because I have strong Ne and inferior Si - the flip flop of you - and I do the same thing.

    Or it could just be a generalized anxiety disorder or OCD. I have anxiety.
    ENFP's often have this paranoia problem, and I imagine anxiety doesn't help it.
    =universal solution

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] FEARS of the "NF's" ??? What are some fears you have??
    By oneandonly in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-31-2015, 03:26 AM
  2. Secret Fears of the Super-Rich
    By Octarine in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 03:45 AM
  3. [NT] Irrational fears of the rationale.
    By Dizalddin in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
  4. Cults! - Fear of the 'dark sides' of religion
    By Ming in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 09:56 AM
  5. What underlies the fear of rejection?
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO