User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 65

  1. #21
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pristinegirl View Post
    That makes perfect sence. Its abstract though, losing control of what exactly?
    What happens to you. This is out of your control. We convince ourselves otherwise most of the time. But, a meteor could fall out of the sky. You could get sick and die. Someone could hit you with a car. Death is around every corner. It is the flipside of life. Everything that is created from nothing returns to nothingness. But, to live in the midst of this truth you have to either live as if you could die today or you must ignore this reality or you must convince yourself that you really are in control of what happens to you, which is just another way to ignore this reality.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  2. #22
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    People live on the basis of probability. The probability value of the danger of the unknown is impossible to measure which is why people are afraid of it
    Probabilities are another form of knowledge, which is another form of control seeking.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  3. #23
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    I love the unknown
    How can you love something you cannot comprehend?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  4. #24
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    I love the unknown
    You loved this comment before you read it then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Probabilities are another form of knowledge, which is another form of control seeking.
    Actually knowledge is what is required for someone to assume. And assumptions are caused by probability. Therefore probabilities are made by knowledge. It is not knowledge.

  5. #25
    Member Pristinegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    What happens to you. This is out of your control. We convince ourselves otherwise most of the time. But, a meteor could fall out of the sky. You could get sick and die. Someone could hit you with a car. Death is around every corner. It is the flipside of life. Everything that is created from nothing returns to nothingness. But, to live in the midst of this truth you have to either live as if you could die today or you must ignore this reality or you must convince yourself that you really are in control of what happens to you, which is just another way to ignore this reality.
    Ahh that is so right! We fight death for a living every day. And yet so many people fear something that is said to 'liberate' us.

    I have a hard time picturing a life living in the midst of truth, a life with death and if you ignore it then you are simply lying to yourself.

  6. #26
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pristinegirl View Post
    Ahh that is so right! We fight death for a living every day. And yet so many people fear something that is said to 'liberate' us.

    I have a hard time picturing a life living in the midst of truth, a life with death and if you ignore it then you are simply lying to yourself.
    It's better to lie to yourself sometimes. It's better just to not think of certain things. It's sometimes better to ignore things. Because some things get in the way of living.

    I think religion can be helpful for people in that it allows you to put these big, pointless, and stupid existential questions to the side. So you can get on with life.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  7. #27
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    What happens to you. This is out of your control. We convince ourselves otherwise most of the time. But, a meteor could fall out of the sky. You could get sick and die. Someone could hit you with a car. Death is around every corner. It is the flipside of life. Everything that is created from nothing returns to nothingness. But, to live in the midst of this truth you have to either live as if you could die today or you must ignore this reality or you must convince yourself that you really are in control of what happens to you, which is just another way to ignore this reality.
    I disagree. One has control of 90% of his life. The other 10% is just luck. All you said goes for that 10%.

  8. #28
    Member Pristinegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    It's better to lie to yourself sometimes. It's better just to not think of certain things. It's sometimes better to ignore things. Because some things get in the way of living.

    I think religion can be helpful for people in that it allows you to put these big, pointless, and stupid existential questions to the side. So you can get on with life.
    Thank you for the advice Synarch!! I shall do well to know that it exists yet ignore it.

    How interesting that you think so. Because I thought it was the opposite. Thus, why I am kind of avoiding it. xD I had the impression that they deal with existential questions all the time, only that they do it as a group.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Synarch makes a good point.

    I used to be in control of most possible outcomes in my life to the point where i was a control freak. However, by having that attitude i actually limited my potential. Playing safe is good as i am aware of the outcome to an extent. Taking life and all it has to offer though, opens to many doors, more than i ever imagined. It is overcoming that fear and saying Yes to opportunities.

    If i play it safe continously, i wouldn't of experienced a little of Canada. I wouldn't of tried to fight for my marriage. By doing that though, and even hurting the very core of myself, again i opened up possibilities. I can go back to Canada, i can survive a marriage breakdown and come back stronger than ever. Life gave me the opportunity to have everything i truly believed in, crash down around me and allow me to grow. Some might say that is harsh, i thank life for that. Makes me a better, more subjective (have i used the right word there) person.

    We spend to much time in life creating problems and scenarios, why sweat the small stuff. We may be dead tomorrow (rather morid but the truth).

    Thechosenone, i think i understand where you are coming from now. I just turned you into my son and it made perfect sense. He really fears the unknown especially when it comes to school. He is in his 4th year of secondary school and still even now, everyday he is nervous about going.
    I have to somewhat push him into new situations. What saddens me the most is that he has told me, he'll never go back to Canada should the opportunity arise, he wants to stay with his nanna. He fears change.

    I had to lose (so to speak) to gain what i know now. How do i make a 14 year old do the same without losing everything? Yes he is an ISTJ also.

    Apologies for rambling on.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

  10. #30
    Member Pristinegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I disagree. One has control of 90% of his life. The other 10% is just luck. All you said goes for that 10%.
    We don't even know that luck exists...
    It may only be cognitive biases. Because when good luck occurs, people tend to see purpose in it, thinking it has a higher meaning whereas when something unfortunate happens people are quick to feel they are doomed with bad luck.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] FEARS of the "NF's" ??? What are some fears you have??
    By oneandonly in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-31-2015, 03:26 AM
  2. Secret Fears of the Super-Rich
    By Octarine in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 03:45 AM
  3. [NT] Irrational fears of the rationale.
    By Dizalddin in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
  4. Cults! - Fear of the 'dark sides' of religion
    By Ming in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 09:56 AM
  5. What underlies the fear of rejection?
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO