• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs attracted to counter culture

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How common, or uncommon, is this?

I know a few guys who are IxTJ, and I am seriously leaning towards S for them, but they like aspects of certain counter cultures or slightly rebellious subcultures (nothing really bizarre), but it's not like any trend bandwagon they jumped on. I get an SJ vibe from them, and they openly dislike the abstract or things which look "odd" to them. There's just no way they are SPs, and NT doesn't really suit them either.

SJs, are there are counter culture type of things you are drawn to? Stuff that may seem stereotypically "un-SJ-like". What makes you enjoy these things?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

I know a few guys who are IxTJ, and I am seriously leaning towards S for them, but they like aspects of certain counter cultures or slightly rebellious subcultures (nothing really bizarre), but it's not like any trend bandwagon they jumped on. I get an SJ vibe from them, and they openly dislike the abstract or things which look "odd" to them. There's just no way they are SPs, and NT doesn't really suit them either.

SJs, are there are counter culture type of things you are drawn to? Stuff that may seem stereotypically "un-SJ-like". What makes you enjoy these things?

It's not as uncommon as you would think. I know I usually like to stand out from the crowd, just because it's something that gives me more satisfaction (when I was younger, I was the opposite of this). I don't really like conforming to things, particularly when it's not necessary. I don't know why I enjoy this, I guess it's because I like to be different from the rest of the crowd.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I definitely think it happens. I know more than one ISTJ in the metal/punk subculture, and more than one ISFJ in the alternative subculture.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
My ISTJ girl friend loves tattooed men and hardcore metal. I don't think she cares about the rebellious aspect of it, but she does seem to kind of like the group aspect of being part of a certain subculture. My ISFJ friend is also really into the vampire/emo thing.

EDIT: Oh uh, but all of the other STJs I know are boring as hell. I love you guys, but seriously.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
*Shrug* What do you mean by counter culture? See, cause everything I've seen as "counter" culture just looks like more culture to me- except these people are even more close knit than the non-"counter" kind.

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I am a clean cut version of Sid Vicious.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not as much of a consumer whore as I'm supposed to be for an SFJ.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
*Shrug* What do you mean by counter culture? See, cause everything I've seen as "counter" culture just looks like more culture to me- except these people are even more close knit than the non-"counter" kind.

I think it's usually meant "cultures alternative to pop"

tetsuwanatom

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

My ISFJ boyfriend fits this description.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I find myself pulled to like, British/English music artists and Japanese TV shows, if that counts.

Just remember also, SJ isn't a fixed set of traditions. It means you maintain traditions. What traditions you maintain are not set in stone just by being an SJ.

Edit: Oooh, 2000th post.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My ISTJ sister was always drawn to the bad boys she read about in romance books.

I was always drawn to the geeky boys I met in physics class.

Snow Turtle

Being geeky is the culture that I'm loyal to. :D
However I do quite like my instrumental pop music.
Otherwise I agree with colors about the whole 'what is counter culture?'

Despite knowing there isn't really a set norm. Along with some of the other SJs here I wanted to stand out because my idea of average, living a simple life that doesn't really have much meaning to it. Work, eat and sleep sounds like a horrible way to live even if they are fundamental things.

They do say that people that really are different strive to integrate into normal society and vice versa. Guess that knowledge keeps me reminded that I'm just a normal person that's striving for more. Is ambition considered as counter-culture? I feel that it is.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I find myself pulled to like, British/English music artists and Japanese TV shows, if that counts.

Just remember also, SJ isn't a fixed set of traditions. It means you maintain traditions. What traditions you maintain are not set in stone just by being an SJ.

Edit: Oooh, 2000th post.

Yep, this is correct. ISJ in particular will build their own worldview, which may be different from the general worldview. Si acts off of experience, so if they're experiences are different and are drawn to a certain culture, they'll incorporate and defend it.

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Me too. :D

Basically, yes, I agree. :yes:

My ISTJ sister was always drawn to the bad boys she read about in romance books.
Haha, this is me. :laugh: Although not just in books but on TV shows & in Movies as well.

Otherwise I agree with colors about the whole 'what is counter culture?'
Yeah...I'm not quite sure what qualifies as "counter culture" in this case. So I can't really answer the question yet. :unsure:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
If by counter culture you mean the opposite, then sure. (ENFP's! :wubbie:)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm into some metal and some hardcore punk and there was a time a few years back where this was strictly all I'd listen to. I loved (still do when I get a chance to see a band I really dig) going to punk/metal shows. -- Although I consider myself more tame and unbiased, I've always enjoyed hanging out with the people you find in these social rings; typically, more so than I would with the business or college frat type. I don't like people that try to fit a social norm or mold, just to be considered "normal" (and I know that's not the motive of a lot of the straight and narrowers). I've always gravitated towards those that are a little off-beat in some fashion. I've got my annoyances within any social type though. A lot of counter-culture people really irritate me with some of their mindless far left views and their "down with the power" propaganda they like to drop wherever they can. I like social and political awareness, but there's a good population of brain-washed and irrational individuals in the counter-culture scene.

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm into some metal and some hardcore punk. Although I consider myself more tame, I've always enjoyed hanging out with the people you find in these social rings as well, typically, more so than I would with the business or college frat type. I don't like people that try to fit a social norm or mold, just to be considered "normal". I've always gravitated towards those that are a little off-beat in some fashion.
Same here. Ever since middle school to now (college), I've always seemed to gravitate more towards the "off-beat" (punk, artsy, etc.) people but I also have more "straight-edged" or "normal" (business type or college sorority type) friends as well. :yes:

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
big_joint.jpg

e71d1f45a5264ab2.jpg

big1joint2parade2.jpg

Now that's counter culture, if you didn't catch my drift before.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love questions like this because they make people have to think about and vocalize [for once] what is considered "normal" or "mainstream" in this moment in time.

edit: perhaps what the OP meant was "non-traditional" or "not conservative"?