• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] What do you think of ESTJs?

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
If they don't try to boss me around or draw me into overt competition then I'm okay with them. However, an ESTJ who isn't trying to do any of those things is probably an ESTJ I've never met before. On the whole, definitely not my favourite type. But there are always exceptions.

urgh. agreed. my current boss is an ESTJ (and i'm quitting). perhaps because it's just a mismatch of types, but I just can't do things the way he does, and I really dislike how he can't listen, but must have his own way. Kinda just bulldozes through everything. I can't quite take how everything must be fixed and clear. :cry: A rather mean streak of manipulation, too... On the plus side, they are great at people management (if you can't see through them), herding the crowd, they get things done, and because they're realists, they survive much better than INTPs in the real world.

hehe.

both positives and negatives, as with all types. :)

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Everyone knows we have the best sense of humor :D

Aside from that, I think we have a habit of being more "practical" so when pointing out the obvious, we tend to astound people.

Another friend who is an ESTJ has a very warm heart, likes dancing, loves rhyming games and very active in politics. Great overall guy although has the hardest time finding a woman he can commit to. Most of the time, he says he wants someone who is resourceful, elegant and intelligent, but he expects that from everyone.

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ
One of my best friends is ESTJ, but although I'd prefer the 'NT' and 'NF' temperaments. My other best friends are INTJ and INFJ :D

Climber07

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Most of my close friends exhibit ESTJ traits. Obviously, I like them or they wouldn't be my friends. :) My very good friend throughout HS took the MBTI test and came out ESTJ. She is devoted to her family and once she sets a goal for herself no one can stop her. I think she loves people very deeply and probably in a way I have never experienced. When my dog died she cried more than I did. She sort of lived at our house throughout HS. We mostly did outdoors stuff together. My ESFJ mom encouraged us to do lots of volunteer work so we did that together as well. Neither of us were into fashion or boy crazy. I don't think she dated anyone until after HS.

She is in college now on a sports scholarship. She was offered a scholarship to Princeton but turned them down because she didn't want to leave her family. I don't know how she manages traveling and studying; during the summer she works full-time. She is a business major and wants to travel when she graduates. I admire her so much for never complaining and just doing what needs to be done. We don't spend that much time together anymore and I see her every couple of months. But I know if I ever needed help she'd be there. I can see how her forcefulness and certainty can make it difficult for other types to relate to her. I'm sorry to hear about all the bad experiences people have had.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
My dad is an ESTJ.

I love them as long as you can keep them open minded. Once they start to lose that, they can tend to get annoying... but they are the best at understanding the immediate implications of getting a task done, and the people I would want running the nuts and bolts of a business.

istpunk

MBTI Type
istp
They're kinda funny, I laugh at the things they do that they perceive to be right and just. They talk way too much as if they're trying to make themselves appear right and just. They are superior supervisors.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
My father is an ESTJ. He is the ballsiest man I know but holy crap does he drive me insane. He does not know how to be smooth whatsoever, his mind is on his mouth. I personally would rather get shot in the face with shit than deal with his snide comments but his persona demands respect. I have gotten him to realize one thing though, in social situations, him and I have to work together as a team. He finally realized that I can read people right off the bat and give him good insight, other than that, I think he is an ass but he is my dad.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have a question and this looks like a good place to ask:

Hubby does alot on this thread but, unless I've missed it, this isn't here:

1) He's always seeing stuff on the ground... nice when its money... or in abandoned shopping carts, beside the road, etc. Things I don't notice.

2) He's also always watching. Like when we're in the store, he'll pull me out of some other shopper's way. Or when we're standing in public talking, he doesn't look at me, he's always scanning the surroundings.

Is that particularly XSXJ some combination?

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
I like ESTJs, if they respect me :D I find that they are great to mess with if they don't :D:D:D

TK*

MBTI Type
INFJ
My mother and stepdad are ESTJs. We don't really get along but we don't not get along either. We're just kinda "there" in each other's presence. With other ESTJs I find it extremely difficult to stomach being around them without wanting to tackle them down and start wringing their necks. At least to me, ESTJs are very irritating to deal with and often press all the right buttons to piss me off in social situations. I think they can be very nice...I just prefer to be around other types, usually.

Baltar

MBTI Type
INTP
I didn't want my first post to be a rant about a certain type, but my life just happens to demand it right now:

I hate ESTJs. I can't even appreciate their hard-working side everyone else is mentioning because I don't see it much. I catch so much shit from their overbearing, stupid, neanderthal, tunnel vision, authoritarian, hypocritical nature.

The ones I have known haven't even been that hard-working, they do the bare minimum(but do it oh-so correctly which gives them that smug sense of superiority), then expect everyone else to go the extra mile( as far as hours and effort)and be even
more detailed while doing it.
Right now I have my 2nd in a row ESTJ boss, and once again, I have to look for another job(please God not another ESTJ manager) before I just rip off his head and shit down his neck. They can turn your world into a living hell(unneccesarily) and you can't complain because they don't break any of the official rules while doing it. They are fucking amoral to the core but pride themselves in not going outside the LETTER of the law.
They work themselves into positions of authority and then suddenly kick back and give themselves a fucking free ride and feed off the respect from higher-ups and naive people in other departments.
Apart from bosses, the other ones I have known were some of my teachers, at least I only had to suffer their shit for 45 minutes during one period a day in high school, I could even learn a useful thing or two(grammar points and such) from them before being driven completely bonkers.

Anyone ever been just completely almost sent to the nuthouse by these people? More than once?

I wish I knew some halfway reasonable, mature ones like a lot of you guys seem to.
And, I don't have any in my family or non-work social circle. Fuck 'em
I just got a good ass-raping this past week and now some slaps on the back for appearing to keep a stiff upper lip. Grrrrrr.

Anyways, Hi.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I didn't want my first post to be a rant about a certain type, but my life just happens to demand it right now:

I hate ESTJs. I can't even appreciate their hard-working side everyone else is mentioning because I don't see it much. I catch so much shit from their overbearing, stupid, neanderthal, tunnel vision, authoritarian, hypocritical nature.

The ones I have known haven't even been that hard-working, they do the bare minimum(but do it oh-so correctly which gives them that smug sense of superiority), then expect everyone else to go the extra mile( as far as hours and effort)and be even
more detailed while doing it.
Right now I have my 2nd in a row ESTJ boss, and once again, I have to look for another job(please God not another ESTJ manager) before I just rip off his head and shit down his neck. They can turn your world into a living hell(unneccesarily) and you can't complain because they don't break any of the official rules while doing it. They are fucking amoral to the core but pride themselves in not going outside the LETTER of the law.
They work themselves into positions of authority and then suddenly kick back and give themselves a fucking free ride and feed off the respect from higher-ups and naive people in other departments.
Apart from bosses, the other ones I have known were some of my teachers, at least I only had to suffer their shit for 45 minutes during one period a day in high school, I could even learn a useful thing or two(grammar points and such) from them before being driven completely bonkers.

Anyone ever been just completely almost sent to the nuthouse by these people? More than once?

I wish I knew some halfway reasonable, mature ones like a lot of you guys seem to.
And, I don't have any in my family or non-work social circle. Fuck 'em
I just got a good ass-raping this past week and now some slaps on the back for appearing to keep a stiff upper lip. Grrrrrr.

Anyways, Hi.

Hi!:hi:

Looking forward to your many future posts! If high blood pressure don't kill ya off...

Don't get too:azdaja:

Have a :smoke:

Take a :chillpill:

Edit: "sorta kinda east" - yeah, an accidental occidental oriental
Edit 2: Agree - you wouldn't want a stressed ESTP as a boss. Come to think of it, you wouldn't want an unstressed one either.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Best post all day.

Yes.

In answer to the OP, I quite like chatting with ESTJs and one of my friends is ESTJ. Working with them, though, tends to drive me batty. The domineering/not listening thing is draining.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, I am always in favor of a strong thinking woman, but ESTJ guys I encounter are cool too. One of my closer friends that is an ESTJ has an amazingly dry sense of humor very similar to Stewie from family guy, lol. He always manages to tell very offensive jokes over those conversational "taboo" topics (especially at a Catholic University), which I find hilarious. However, others are not so entertained by them. ;)

But yeah. They have my approval, ;).

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
i haven't really known any estjs until recently. she's been pretty interesting to say the least, i think in large part because of the gender. she talks and acts as vulgar as one of the guys but definitely has that "mother mode" that would switch on around us.

i wasn't sure about the S or N part until some matters of authority came into question, on whether she would act soley based on a good idea she had or not. her reply was something like "i don't have any authority to act on this good idea, etc." where all the SPs and myself where replying to that with, "who needs authority? just do it!"

but yeah, estjs are pretty blunt which i guess can take some time to get used to. if theyre of the female persuasion it can be even more fun/interesting imo.

still want to meet an entj in person... maybe someday.

Baltar

MBTI Type
INTP
whoa

i haven't really known any estjs until recently. she's been pretty interesting to say the least, i think in large part because of the gender. she talks and acts as vulgar as one of the guys but definitely has that "mother mode" that would switch on around us.

i wasn't sure about the S or N part until some matters of authority came into question, on whether she would act soley based on a good idea she had or not. her reply was something like "i don't have any authority to act on this good idea, etc." where all the SPs and myself where replying to that with, "who needs authority? just do it!"

but yeah, estjs are pretty blunt which i guess can take some time to get used to. if theyre of the female persuasion it can be even more fun/interesting imo.

still want to meet an entj in person... maybe someday.

Dude, this is really scary. The ESTJ i was ranting about is a Mike D.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w

They are fucking amoral to the core but pride themselves in not going outside the LETTER of the law.

Hi.

I'm generally a constructive person, but that's exactly my experience as well with ESTJ types. I hate them. It's like they lack all sense of morality when it comes to their self-image. & yet they are extremely judgemental of others, not to mention bossy. the ones I've known to be ESTJs for sure were all males though. They have a holier than thou vibe & I find them to be very intimidating.

Come to think about it : I may have at least one female estj colleague & she tries to be nice to me (eventhough she's just as demanding as the other ESTJs I know). It's still pretty hard to find common ground in communication with her. The only thing we seem to have in common is the total lack of understanding of one another.

oh yeah, they're superficial too..:dry:

Meatbot

MBTI Type
INTP
Pretty sure my brother is an ESTJ. We're civil with each other but we have basically nothing in common, and he's more annoying that not most times.

He's got the typical salesman's shit-eating grin when meeting new people, lots of BS, lots of talking. Comes of as really fake. He's the type of guy who will ask you a question and then not listen to your answer.

Does things simply because "that's the way you do things". No interest in questioning it, no analysis of why it's being done. No imagination. That mindset is completely alien to me. If I don't understand why a rule was made, I'm not going to follow it. I question everything, he questions nothing.

He's a control freak with his daughter. He doesn't explain why he tells her to do things, just tells her "because I said so." There's no education behind it.

I'd hate to work for him, that's for sure.