First 12

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Physically dominate this person in a sporting event.

that will earn you respect.
    Or better yet, beat the ever loving shit out of him.

He will respect you, or he will fear you.

MBTI
    ISTP

Thanks guys!

Another question: what if you need help from an ISTJ after crossing them? :/

I've been trying to do my work and can do some of it, but for some its just like .. No idea how to counter/fix the problem, and can't find nothing on the internet. I don't mean to clog this place with incessant personal junk, but does having crossed ISTJs mean I'm unlikely to be able to ask for help in future? Are ISTJ's likely to give help with stuff, even if its (shudder) overdue? And IF so, what's the best way to ask?

I'm guessing - straightforward, apologetic..? I don't want to hand in sub-standard work (I would hate that) but there's no other source from which I can get help that I can think of. Since our work is quite individualised, my classmates wouldn't really know how to help me.

MBTI
    LoLz

If it were me as a teacher and this happened, it would go like this. The student doesn't do their work properly, and I lose trust in their ability to do work. However, I wouldn't let that affect my ability to relate on a person to person level with that person. If my time allowed for it, my job would still require that I offer help to students.

Don't be overly apologetic. To me, that shows a weakness that means you're not overly serious about the work. It only means you're concerned about fixing your good name. Be straightforward, sincere and professional. If you're sincere about doing better and show results of the fruits of your labor, that'll help to regain the trust.

Honestly, I don't think you've pissed him off too much. He'd have to be an unhealthy ISTJ to get seriously riled up over it. To ISTJs, work and emotional responses are separated. I'm not sure how other ISTJs handle it, but to me, remaining professional at work is more important than being emotional toward a student. It's more like you're wasting his time.

If you confront him about getting help, I would suggest:

- Be honest about how you're aware that your relationship has been affected recently
    - Remain professional
    - Be detailed about your desire to do better
    - Explain measures you have personally taken to correct your mistakes on your own time

That's the best I can offer right now. For an ISTJ, it's about results and sincerity. The state of the personal relationship is the least of our concern unless it's affecting something tangible.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Physically dominate this person in a sporting event.

that will earn you respect.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_ This is EXACTLY the random, out of nowhere comment that would come from my INFP husband!!!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    If it were me as a teacher and this happened, it would go like this. The student doesn't do their work properly, and I lose trust in their ability to do work. However, I wouldn't let that affect my ability to relate on a person to person level with that person. If my time allowed for it, my job would still require that I offer help to students.

Don't be overly apologetic. To me, that shows a weakness that means you're not overly serious about the work. It only means you're concerned about fixing your good name. Be straightforward, sincere and professional. If you're sincere about doing better and show results of the fruits of your labor, that'll help to regain the trust.

Honestly, I don't think you've pissed him off too much. He'd have to be an unhealthy ISTJ to get seriously riled up over it. To ISTJs, work and emotional responses are separated. I'm not sure how other ISTJs handle it, but to me, remaining professional at work is more important than being emotional toward a student. It's more like you're wasting his time.

If you confront him about getting help, I would suggest:

- Be honest about how you're aware that your relationship has been affected recently
    - Remain professional
    - Be detailed about your desire to do better
    - Explain measures you have personally taken to correct your mistakes on your own time

That's the best I can offer right now. For an ISTJ, it's about results and sincerity. The state of the personal relationship is the least of our concern unless it's affecting something tangible.
    I recently had a dispute with my ISTJ boss and this advice came in very handy!