123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Default SJs, explain this authority thing

I'm asking you SJs, because you're good at this kind of thing. Here's my case study: I have an ESFJ section leader. He quite often uses the structure of authority as his excuse to get away with putting us down, shouting, and call us idiots whenever we make a stupid mistake.

But here's my objection:

Marching band staff is a system made by humans for the sole sake of effeciency. Morality, and how you treat other people isn't. I think its never ok to demean someone. Yes, it might be wrong to argue with an authority figure. That's another question. My question is, when that does happen, it's wrong to publicly embarrass them.

Apparently I had been "defying his authority" in the past couple weeks. I haven't been. I've been merely making suggestions. The part that bugs me is that I was somehow "wrong" for speaking up in public, and I got reamed out today because it ticked him off.

Plus, what's so wrong with making suggestions? It's harmless to suggest something to improve efficiency in the section. I'm not going to wait and approach him in private. I think this kid has an authority complex.

Oh, he constantly reminds us of every little then, then reams us out for not being responsible. If he wants us to be responsible, he should shut up.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Oh my gosh .. How rude of him.

I would never put someone down for making a stupid mistake. It is my job to make you feel like a million dollars so i get the best from you. However i will speak up if someone is totally incompetent (thinking ex team leader) and argue their logic.

I think speaking up is a positive thing and by thinking outside the box, if it results in positive changes for all involved then that has to be a good thing.

I think your team leader is just an asshole or has other things on his mind that are stressing him out.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    Plus, what's so wrong with making suggestions? It's harmless to suggest something to improve efficiency in the section.
    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I would never put someone down for making a stupid mistake.
    I don't understand why suggestions are a stupid mistake.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics

Now here's another question,

should I call him out when he's rude to us as a section, or should I wait and approach him about it later? I don't want to wait later. But he might not be aware of what he's doing. But then again, he should be, cuz he's bein' an asshole.

Does his position have anything to do with how I should interact with him?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Jenocyde - I am using his/her words. I don't think you should be put down for it though.

call us idiots whenever we make a stupid mistake.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I don't understand why suggestions are a stupid mistake.
    I didn't say they were. Like, forgetting certain horn moves, or not laying your horn down like the others (AT PRACTICE)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I am using his/her words. I don't think you should be put down for it though.
    ?

MBTI
    ESFJ

should I call him out when he's rude to us as a section, or should I wait and approach him about it later? I don't want to wait later. But he might not be aware of what he's doing. But then again, he should be, cuz he's bein' an asshole.

Pull him to one side (alone) and be careful how you word it.
    See outside work i want to get on with everyone. In work, i am a little more ruthless in that i want efficient, competent people on my team. I just want the job done to the best of our abilities.
    He should be able to see what you can bring to the table though and appreciate it. This may be a deeper issue and have nothing to do with you lot via work.

EDIT - Personally, i would want you on my team. I see the details, you see the bigger picture .. That is a win win situation in my book.
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    I

This seems like a subjective thing. A lot of this depends on the extent to which you're calling this authority figure out in public. Does he really call you idiots? What do the other people who are under his leadership think of him? Do they think about him the same way as you do? I think you should take this into consideration.

You should wait, it seems as though he's angry at you for calling him out while in public. Why don't you want to wait?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    This seems like a subjective thing. A lot of this depends on the extent to which you're calling this authority figure out in public. Does he really call you idiots? What do the other people who are under his leadership think of him? Do they think about him the same way as you do? I think you should take this into consideration.
    Yes, he really calls us idiots. When he's angry. It does seem subjective. But there's subjective, then there's shouting, calling us idiots, and lumping the rep it all together as "that was terrible!" He's right, but jesus christ.

They don't seem to have any idea. But there's one kid who argued with him today too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post

You should wait, it seems as though he's angry at you for calling him out while in public. Why don't you want to wait?
    I don't want to wait, because then the situation is over. I can't recall a situation with the context back with him.