User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Parental/Genetic Component?

How much of our personality type is tied to our parents' personality type, do you think? Do you think there is a genetic component to personality type?

I was thinking about my kids and how they are both F's (both boys too) and how I can't imagine raising a T child. Especially a rational T child. Because of my type, I snuggled my kids and sang them little songs and made heart shaped cookies with them and they loved it. I still hug them to death. I was adopted and found my biological mom in my 20s (so she didn't raise me), but I would bet a lot of money that she and I had the same personality type.

Thoughts on this (from any and all personality types)?

MBTI
    ISTP

I do not believe that there's a link between genetics and personality type.

I'm an ESTJ. My mom would most closely be an ISFP, and my dad... well, he's I_F_, 100% borderline on the N-S spectrum and probably slightly J but not anywhere near as much as I am. From a very early age, I'd get problems for being too blunt and not having enough regard for others' feelings. The concept of typology has helped me understand this better over the years.

If I had to base my answer simply on my own scenario, I would say that there is not any relationship between genetics and personality type. I hear other stories about parents who are more laid back and open ended whereas their child is more organized and sticks to a routine.

From this, I can gather that there definitely isn't a 100% relationship between the two things, but I don't deny the possibility of there being something.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

It could be or could be not genetic. Not only from the parents. From grandparents and their parents. Although I'm not really beaten on it being genetic.
    I'm trying to do a bit of research to find the root of personality types. I'm going by the belief that if it isn't genetic, we can change it and thus proving MBTI to be wrong when they say one can't change his personality type.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It seems to be a bit random.

For me, my dad is INTP and mom ENFJ.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

For me it is strongly linked to genetics.

My Dad = ESTJ
    My MOM = XSFJ
    My Brother = INTJ
    Me = ESTP
    My Wife = INFJ

My Wife's Dad = ESFP
    My Wife's Mom = ESFJ

Remember, parents (adult organisms, representing an expressed and mature genome) are ACTING out of (1) executing their genetic programming (OF WHICH WE HAVE HALF), and (2) providing us with the benefit of their WORLDLY EXPERIENCE and JUDGEMENT.

So, IMHO, parents cannot help but REINFORCE the GENETICS that they GAVE you with their own ACTIONS.

Does that make sense?

If not I don't care.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    So, IMHO, parents cannot help but REINFORCE the GENETICS that they GAVE you with their own ACTIONS.

Does that make sense?

If not I don't care.
    If not, you don't care -- NICE!! HA! I guess I meant genetics (nature), but also how we are raised (nurture)..so your answer is the crux of what I was asking. What you are saying makes makes total sense.

So to make my question more specific - do nature AND/OR nurture affect personality type?

I would think the only thing I would've inherited from my parents would be intuition:

Mom: INFJ
    Dad: eNFP
    Big Brother: INFP
    Little Brother #1: IsTJ
    Little Brother #2: ENfJ

ME: ENTP
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Mum - ESFx
    Dad - INTx
    Me - ESFJ
    Bro - ESTP
    Step Sis - ExTP (don't think N)

This was talked about on another thread about nature Vs nurture.

It's a hard one.

Both my boys are T's and i love it. At least there is no drama (well not much, lol)

When younger, i could read to them, play with their toys, colour together, bake .. do all the usual things you do with the kiddies.

Now they are a little older, things are just slightly different. They usually resolve around the computer or school.

My ENTP likes to show me sites he has found online that he thinks are hilarious and sometimes they are, other times he will discuss topics that go right over my head and i have to find the info online (great though as it keeps my mind active) and my older son ISTJ, he is into cooking and is probably a better cook than me, so we work together and bake things.
    What i find really nice with my boys being 14 and 12, is that they will come and lie with me on my bed and we'll just chat .. about anything and everything.

So far so good.
    Last edited by Saslou; 09-18-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: To much detail.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it seems rather odd if not that there would be 3 enfps in my family...

dad was an enfp
    mom is an an infj
    sister enfp
    other sister isfj
    me enfp

lil sister may have been isfp ??
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post

Remember, parents (adult organisms, representing an expressed and mature genome) are ACTING out of (1) executing their genetic programming (OF WHICH WE HAVE HALF), and (2) providing us with the benefit of their WORLDLY EXPERIENCE and JUDGEMENT.

Does that make sense?

If not I don't care.
    I'm with Halla in this.
    Except that I think that the reinforcement can sometimes cause an oposite reaction in a child. (Pressure to be calm and think things through -> becomes quick as an opposite reaction)
    I'm not even going to guess at which level cognitive traits/preferances etc. are inherited, but there's still that basis of personality to which we start building upon.
    Hmm, nature and nurture. I sometimes stop to wonder how different people would've turned out if something in their nurture was different.

My family: INTP dad, ISTJ mom and ESTP younger brother.