User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ISTJ OR INTJ

MBTI
    ISTJ

Default ISTJ OR INTJ

I have taken several MBTI tests years ago and always pointed out ISTJ. Today when I read the INTJ prescription there are several things that seem very true for me. I just took another MBTI test and scored:

ISTJ
    Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging
    Strength of the preferences %
    67 1 75 89

I asked my team at work to describe me and got these things back:
    - In new situations I am rather quiet and observing, as if I am figuring out the best strategy to go about things;
    - I use jokes to make situations at ease and make my point;
    - I appear very organized & structured;
    - I always seem to now what is happening and have a clear view of the next steps that need to be taken

Well a lot of information, don't know if it is helping... Anyone else an ISTJ close to INTJ, is it even possible? how can you tell? I understand that there is no clear line between them. Just find it interesting, in the descriptions there is much of both I internalise...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

Depends. I thought I was an INTJ or at least, as I called it once, IxTJ, but then I realized what set me apart. Instead of going by scores, like that, take a cognitive functions test. Find out which of the eight functions you prefer....

For me, I thought I was using Ni.....until I realized all I'm doing is "Si + Ne". I spoke briefly with BlackCat about it....the post should be on my profile's comment page, if you're interested.

I would recommend doing that, though, for sure. Look at your functions. Are you Ni, Te, Fi, Se, or are you Si, Te, Fi, Ne?

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Rule of thumb for an INTJ: if you don't know instantaneously that you're an INTJ and nothing else, you're not an INTJ.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ISTJ

I can't quite make sense of result of the test you took, but you got 1% for the S/N divide. It should be quite clear which one are you.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

INTJs and ISTJs can appear similar, but there's a huge difference between being dominant introverted sensation and dominant introverted intuition. Huge. The stuff your coworkers said about you really only verifies the IXTJ part (introversion, use of Te)

From the Lenore Thomson wiki thing (edit Introverted Sensation):

Si:
    "When we use Introverted Sensation, we don't adjust to our surface perceptions. We package them and take them with us--in the form of facts, numbers, signs, and memories."
    "When we use Introverted Sensation, we stabilize our immediate sense impressions by integrating them with the ones we remember and care about. We "find ourselves" in whatever is happening, because our perceptions are anchored by what we already know."

Ni:
    "Introverted Intuition would prompt us to liberate our sense impressions from their larger context, thereby creating new options for perception itself."
    "Introverted Intuition suggests that absolute meaning is an illusion--the result of having incomplete information."
    "Where Extraverted Intuitives see many behavioral options, INJs acknowledge many conceptual standpoints. They experience no need to declare one inherently better than another. Indeed, these types have the disconcerting habit of solving a problem by shifting their perspective and defining the situation some other way."

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Rule of thumb for an INTJ: if you don't know instantaneously that you're an INTJ and nothing else, you're not an INTJ.
    Pretty much

Also: The thing about testing close to the border on any of the dichotomies is that it most likely means that you just don't entirely relate to the way the questions that test for those dichotomies are posed.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    nnnn

yup

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Not entirely true. I know a lot of INTJ's that have tested as other things, including myself. I sometimes test as an INTP and even once in a while an ENTJ.

However, INTJ's tend to do a lot introspection. Sometimes I think the more they look into the INTJ personality profile, the more they somehow modify their own personality to fit it better. But that's another topic...

In regards to the OP, it is actually possible to have an N and S pretty even. Mine are. I guess you'll have to look up what it means to be intuitive and what it means to be sensing. If you prefer thinking and talking about more abstract things, like philosophy, and if you're usually inside your mind than in reality, chances are you're an INTJ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Your avatar looks ISTJ.

If English is your first language I would also think that might be more ISTJ leaning.

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by SubjectA View Post
    Not entirely true. I know a lot of INTJ's that have tested as other things, including myself. I sometimes test as an INTP and even once in a while an ENTJ.
    There's a difference between testing and knowing. I test as an INTP all the time (literally all the time) and I *know* I'm not, I'm an INTJ.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SubjectA View Post

However, INTJ's tend to do a lot introspection. Sometimes I think the more they look into the INTJ personality profile, the more they somehow modify their own personality to fit it better. But that's another topic...

In regards to the OP, it is actually possible to have an N and S pretty even. Mine are. I guess you'll have to look up what it means to be intuitive and what it means to be sensing. If you prefer thinking and talking about more abstract things, like philosophy, and if you're usually inside your mind than in reality, chances are you're an INTJ.
    I test as NFJ more than I do NTJ, but I knew instantaneously that I was an INTJ when I read the descriptions.

I think one can be skilled at their non-dominant area, but INTJ v. ISTJ has Ni and Si swapping positions 1 and 8. You just don't get these two mixed up regarding what is one's preference. The tests themselves are only intended to guide you toward descriptions, they don't mean you're "46% this and 54% that" they only mean for 46% of the questions you score as if you're an x, but 54% of the time you score as if you're a y.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis