• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs, how do you observe and remember so much?

ygolo

My termites win
What's your system?

I have ISTJ friend who who can walk into a room and pretty much remember every detail in the room.

ISTJs seem to be the best at trivia games, due to being able to remember every little fact they've come across (especially in spatial form). It doesn't seem to matter if they were interested in it or not.

They were also the first ones to point out that I am wearing my shirt backwards or inside out. (I did this more when I was younger).

So how do you do it?

How do you notice when even the slightest thing is out-of-place?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What's your system?

I have ISTJ friend who who can walk into a room and pretty much remember every detail in the room.

ISTJs seem to be the best at trivia games, due to being able to remember every little fact they've come across (especially in spatial form). It doesn't seem to matter if they were interested in it or not.

They were also the first ones to point out that I am wearing my shirt backwards or inside out. (I did this more when I was younger).

So how do you do it?

Well... can you explain how you so easily see if something fits with a given principle or idea, how you see it's logical relationship to other things you know, or is it something you just seem to do?

ygolo

My termites win
Well... can you explain how you so easily see if something fits with a given principle or idea, how you see it's logical relationship to other things you know, or is it something you just seem to do?

Yes I can explain it. It is something I work on consciously. But that's a topic for a different thread.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
What's your system?

So how do you do it?

Hmmm I don't know that I can explain this well, but honestly, I don't think I make a conscience effort to remember such things...it just comes naturally. I automatically break things down into smaller, detailed units...and it's harder for me to see things as a whole. As for remembering stuff in a room, yes, I am very visiospatially (I think that's a word?) oriented. I never forget a place I have been. I am very sensitive to colors and patterns, and those are the things I am most likely to remember.

People have told me that I have a "velcro memory" because if somebody tells me something, even in passing, I won't forget it. I do think however, that I have selective memory. I remember things that are personally important to me. I can remember minute details that I don't particularly care about only if the end goal is important to me. If I don't care about something, then I won't remember it any longer than short-term memory will allow. For instance, I have no concept of history. I never liked history, so I have pretty much forgotten everything I ever learned in my classes despite the fact that I never scored lower than a "B" in any class. However, I was a Spanish major in college. I can recall ridiculously minute grammar details and language nuances without a problem simply because this is important to me.

ygolo

My termites win
Hmmm I don't know that I can explain this well, but honestly, I don't think I make a conscience effort to remember such things...it just comes naturally. I automatically break things down into smaller, detailed units...and it's harder for me to see things as a whole. As for remembering stuff in a room, yes, I am very visiospatially (I think that's a word?) oriented. I never forget a place I have been. I am very sensitive to colors and patterns, and those are the things I am most likely to remember.

I kind of figured breaking things up was part of it. I've tried to mimic this, but the problem I run into is that there so many different choices for breaking things up, that I usually choose something inefficient.

People have told me that I have a "velcro memory" because if somebody tells me something, even in passing, I won't forget it. I do think however, that I have selective memory. I remember things that are personally important to me. I can remember minute details that I don't particularly care about only if the end goal is important to me. If I don't care about something, then I won't remember it any longer than short-term memory will allow. For instance, I have no concept of history. I never liked history, so I have pretty much forgotten everything I ever learned in my classes despite the fact that I never scored lower than a "B" in any class. However, I was a Spanish major in college. I can recall ridiculously minute grammar details and language nuances without a problem simply because this is important to me.

That is a special skill, I hope you realize that. For me, to remember or notice details, I need to care about those details. If they are just part of something bigger that I find important, I create a system to deal with the details.

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I always associated those traits with ISTPs rather than ISTJs

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I always associated those traits with ISTPs rather than ISTJs

ISTJ is the better fit because the Sensing preferrence is stronger. ISTJs remember better details that they are interested in, Extroverted Sensors remember everything indiscriminately. Makes no sense to associate it with the ISTP, a secondary Extroverted Sensor instead of the ESTP, a primary extroverted Sensor.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
My experience with ISTJs and ESTJs is that they remember those things, facts, details, trivia, etc, that are important to them. My husband can recall all matter of what appear to be useless facts, but 8 times out of 10 he can't find his sunglasses, keys or work ID. My dad (ESTJ) is better with the keys, glasses, etc, but I suspect that's from 69 years of always putting his things in the same place (specifically so this doesn't happen).

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always just thought they were very unaware of their awareness of surroundings.

Regarding what you said about not liking history...my ISTJ friend not only doesn't find it important, but she just has trouble in general piecing the information together to form a logical sequence of events, although she is exceptionally good at remembering all the dates and little minute details. So could it be that because she doesn't find history important, she isn't quick to connect the dots? Does this happen to you too?

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Regarding what you said about not liking history...my ISTJ friend not only doesn't find it important, but she just has trouble in general piecing the information together to form a logical sequence of events, although she is exceptionally good at remembering all the dates and little minute details. So could it be that because she doesn't find history important, she isn't quick to connect the dots? Does this happen to you too?

Yeah, she probably just doesn't find it important. I also can't piece historical things together to form a logical sequence of events. My guess would be because we tend to learn history in fragmented sections...rather than in a linear progression. For instance, in high school I had World Civilizations, then American History, and I think after that I took Military History or something...maybe European History (Ha! I can't even remember the names of my classes). But it was like we were jumping around all the time, and then sometimes we covered the same stuff over and over and other times we skipped chapters and stuff was left out. In my experience, I (and other ISTJ's), are very linear thinkers. We don't like skipping around...things should have a logical progression, so maybe that's why I and your friend don't enjoy history.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

Haha, as a kid I'm sure that must have been cute. But, I don't think this is uncommon amongst INTPs, the whole 'mad scientist'/disorganized approach to dressing oneself. I just commented on the 'dress for your type' thread that my INTP friend STILL kind of dresses like this.

I just remember my ISTJ friend memorized her credit card information because she would just spit it out when ordering pizza over the phone. I really don't think I could do that..well I'm sure technically I could...I just wouldn't care to.

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP

That's interesting. I majored in history but the whole dates-and-places thing was the part I had the most trouble with. Sequencing events to form chains of causality was the part that fascinated me enough to put the time in to get the "trivia" down, but it's still the type of information I'm least likely to remember when I read about something. Sounds like a textbook N/S difference.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
My ESTJ dad is seriously a dictionary for any sort of entertainment-based trivia. :headphne: He can remember the lead singer of this band who had one single hit for a couple weeks in 1974, AND the name of the album that hit was on, or something equally absurd. It never fails to astound me. :nice:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My experience with ISTJs and ESTJs is that they remember those things, facts, details, trivia, etc, that are important to them. My husband can recall all matter of what appear to be useless facts, but 8 times out of 10 he can't find his sunglasses, keys or work ID. My dad (ESTJ) is better with the keys, glasses, etc, but I suspect that's from 69 years of always putting his things in the same place (specifically so this doesn't happen).
Oh good, that does sound like me. My family warns me that I have selective memory.

I'm bumping a few old threads that look very worthwhile. Hope no one minds.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't know how to explain it. It is almost embarrasing when I am talking to a girl and I remember some random fact that she told me 6 months earlier. (Sometimes I fear she will think it is creepy or take it the wrong way) The truth is, I just remembered- kind of like I remember the pizza place phone number! :cheese: It doesn't necessarily mean it's important!

Oh, and to elaborate on the linear thinking model Reco was talking about, I am a history major. I like it when the history classes go in chronological order kind of like a timeline. It just makes thing SOO much easier to remember! ;)

Hmm... a memory like an ISTJ- maybe that is why I am on the Dean's list and I NEVER study? :huh:

On the other hand, send me to the store without a grocery list and DON'T expect me to get everything. ;)

AHH! I seriously just remembered I went to the store today and FORGOT to get a mic for VENT! :doh:

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I also have an exceptional memory. I can always find the place I have visited once already. I'm also very good in Trivia games, because I have got a huge storage of random data. :D

I find details interesting. Really have no system beyond being genuinely interested in the details and facts. I never say no to a random fact. :D Sometimes I just spent time reading random wikipedia articles...

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
What's your system?

So how do you do it?

I'm an ISTJ, and I NEVER EVER notice anything regarding clothing. I don't notice when things are out of place either. I notice people's faces or the inside of a room, but I don't really notice things as I drive by either. But I notice I can remember something much better if I am interested in it.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I think some of this is exaggerated. But I guess the main idea still holds...

Like trivia games with my friends, hehe.

Last edited:

phobosdiemos

MBTI Type
InFj
Enneagram
4w5
I tend to remember a lot of miniscule details, more-so about what my friends have done than what I have done. For instance, my friends are CONSTANTLY losing their lighters. I don't smoke, but I can at least understand that I have no idea what it's like to be addicted to cigarettes and to actually seemingly have a need for a lighter. So therefore, I tend to keep an eye out for their lighters and know exactly where they are when they say "damn where is it...?"

That's just one example, and it's not like it's something I do purposefully. As someone said already, it just comes natural, I don't even think about the process of remembering where it could be, I just KNOW.