User Tag List

123 Last

Default ISTJs, how do you observe and remember so much?

What's your system?

I have ISTJ friend who who can walk into a room and pretty much remember every detail in the room.

ISTJs seem to be the best at trivia games, due to being able to remember every little fact they've come across (especially in spatial form). It doesn't seem to matter if they were interested in it or not.

They were also the first ones to point out that I am wearing my shirt backwards or inside out. (I did this more when I was younger).

So how do you do it?

How do you notice when even the slightest thing is out-of-place?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    What's your system?

I have ISTJ friend who who can walk into a room and pretty much remember every detail in the room.

ISTJs seem to be the best at trivia games, due to being able to remember every little fact they've come across (especially in spatial form). It doesn't seem to matter if they were interested in it or not.

They were also the first ones to point out that I am wearing my shirt backwards or inside out. (I did this more when I was younger).

So how do you do it?

Well... can you explain how you so easily see if something fits with a given principle or idea, how you see it's logical relationship to other things you know, or is it something you just seem to do?

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Well... can you explain how you so easily see if something fits with a given principle or idea, how you see it's logical relationship to other things you know, or is it something you just seem to do?
    Yes I can explain it. It is something I work on consciously. But that's a topic for a different thread.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    What's your system?

So how do you do it?

Hmmm I don't know that I can explain this well, but honestly, I don't think I make a conscience effort to remember such things...it just comes naturally. I automatically break things down into smaller, detailed units...and it's harder for me to see things as a whole. As for remembering stuff in a room, yes, I am very visiospatially (I think that's a word?) oriented. I never forget a place I have been. I am very sensitive to colors and patterns, and those are the things I am most likely to remember.

People have told me that I have a "velcro memory" because if somebody tells me something, even in passing, I won't forget it. I do think however, that I have selective memory. I remember things that are personally important to me. I can remember minute details that I don't particularly care about only if the end goal is important to me. If I don't care about something, then I won't remember it any longer than short-term memory will allow. For instance, I have no concept of history. I never liked history, so I have pretty much forgotten everything I ever learned in my classes despite the fact that I never scored lower than a "B" in any class. However, I was a Spanish major in college. I can recall ridiculously minute grammar details and language nuances without a problem simply because this is important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Hmmm I don't know that I can explain this well, but honestly, I don't think I make a conscience effort to remember such things...it just comes naturally. I automatically break things down into smaller, detailed units...and it's harder for me to see things as a whole. As for remembering stuff in a room, yes, I am very visiospatially (I think that's a word?) oriented. I never forget a place I have been. I am very sensitive to colors and patterns, and those are the things I am most likely to remember.
    I kind of figured breaking things up was part of it. I've tried to mimic this, but the problem I run into is that there so many different choices for breaking things up, that I usually choose something inefficient.

People have told me that I have a "velcro memory" because if somebody tells me something, even in passing, I won't forget it. I do think however, that I have selective memory. I remember things that are personally important to me. I can remember minute details that I don't particularly care about only if the end goal is important to me. If I don't care about something, then I won't remember it any longer than short-term memory will allow. For instance, I have no concept of history. I never liked history, so I have pretty much forgotten everything I ever learned in my classes despite the fact that I never scored lower than a "B" in any class. However, I was a Spanish major in college. I can recall ridiculously minute grammar details and language nuances without a problem simply because this is important to me.
    That is a special skill, I hope you realize that. For me, to remember or notice details, I need to care about those details. If they are just part of something bigger that I find important, I create a system to deal with the details.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I always associated those traits with ISTPs rather than ISTJs

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tayshaun View Post
    I always associated those traits with ISTPs rather than ISTJs
    ISTJ is the better fit because the Sensing preferrence is stronger. ISTJs remember better details that they are interested in, Extroverted Sensors remember everything indiscriminately. Makes no sense to associate it with the ISTP, a secondary Extroverted Sensor instead of the ESTP, a primary extroverted Sensor.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ

My experience with ISTJs and ESTJs is that they remember those things, facts, details, trivia, etc, that are important to them. My husband can recall all matter of what appear to be useless facts, but 8 times out of 10 he can't find his sunglasses, keys or work ID. My dad (ESTJ) is better with the keys, glasses, etc, but I suspect that's from 69 years of always putting his things in the same place (specifically so this doesn't happen).

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ISTJ

haha i acknowledge that im terrible at finding stuff

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

I always just thought they were very unaware of their awareness of surroundings.

Regarding what you said about not liking history...my ISTJ friend not only doesn't find it important, but she just has trouble in general piecing the information together to form a logical sequence of events, although she is exceptionally good at remembering all the dates and little minute details. So could it be that because she doesn't find history important, she isn't quick to connect the dots? Does this happen to you too?
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D