• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs, how do you observe and remember so much?

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
My dad is an ISTJ had I find it's freaky that he can remember the license plate of a car he used to have ten years ago! He's usually been very good at memorising sequences of letters and numbers but he always forgets his username or password for his online accounts. (Which is funny because they are often the same usernames/passwords he always uses.) Like others have said, ISTJs remember the details in things that they are interested in or view to be important.

Snow Turtle

It mostly occurs when I'm interested in something. Oddly enough though I'm not so good at remembering specific words in conversations that I had with people, but I'll remember that I've had conversation itself and the feeling I got out of it.

Constantly berated for forgetting stuff~
It's just not that important.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
My dad is an ISTJ had I find it's freaky that he can remember the license plate of a car he used to have ten years ago! He's usually been very good at memorising sequences of letters and numbers but he always forgets his username or password for his online accounts. (Which is funny because they are often the same usernames/passwords he always uses.) Like others have said, ISTJs remember the details in things that they are interested in or view to be important.

Mmmhmm. Over the years, I've learned that I have a damn good memory. I've come to rely on it greatly, and at the same time, that's become a problem, because I'll refuse to write things down since I'll think I can remember it.

I was walking through Wal-Mart one night and all of a sudden, this number randomly popped into my head. I took a second to think of what it was. It was my Half-Life CD key from 8 years ago. I think it's just that we rely so much on the past, as if it's a stepping stone to the future. At times before, though, I thought that my memory came so easily to me, that it must be a common trait among people. I couldn't be special. Doesn't everyone do it?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...because I'll refuse to write things down since I'll think I can remember it.
There you go! I do the same thing. :doh: I guess I don't quite know what my limits are.

Maybe we notice when we forget things because of how rare it is (which is kind of an exaggeration)? In other words, if we were forgetful more often, it would become common enough that we wouldn't really catch ourselves doing it.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Mmmhmm. Over the years, I've learned that I have a damn good memory. I've come to rely on it greatly, and at the same time, that's become a problem, because I'll refuse to write things down since I'll think I can remember it.

lol kind of like me going to the store for a few things. "aaah I'll remember 'em". And of course, I don't.

On the other hand, part of me WANTS to write it down. Maybe that's just the "logical" ISTJ part of me? :shock:

Another reason I remember things when I'm out at like a party or something, is that I'm usually quiet and not distracted by people talking to me about stupid things. I like to "know" and be aware of my environment and who is in it. Especially if I don't know anyone.- If there's an idiot in the room, I want to know about it. Conversely, if there is a nice girl in the room, I want to know about her too. (Even if it's just to observe them from afar.) Does that make sense?

When I say observe, I don't mean staring at them or studying them from across the room in a creepy way. lol I just mean to make sure the idiot is not trying to "target" me. I tend to be very keen on using the "hidden observer".

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
lol kind of like me going to the store for a few things. "aaah I'll remember 'em". And of course, I don't.

Ehh. I have no problem remembering the majority of my shopping list. People say to go with a list or else you'll pick stuff up. Picking something up that I wasn't meaning to get is so...out of character for me, that I don't worry about it. My shopping is very directed.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
How do you notice when even the slightest thing is out-of-place?

It is not so much that we are "looking" for the thing that is out-of-place, more so that it is the one that jumps out at us. If everything is normal, we glance at it and record it is "normal(-ish)."

However, I was a Spanish major in college. I can recall ridiculously minute grammar details and language nuances without a problem simply because this is important to me.

Yeah, I have a store of information (especially with language/grammar) that is seemingly useless but, because it is important to me, I remember. When hanging out with my usual circle of friends someone will inevitably bring up other people's type and try to remember what someone was. I remember just about all of my friend's types (as long as they took the test near/around me, that is)...and I put no effort in doing so.

I also can't piece historical things together to form a logical sequence of events. My guess would be because we tend to learn history in fragmented sections...rather than in a linear progression. For instance, in high school I had World Civilizations, then American History, and I think after that I took Military History or something...maybe European History (Ha! I can't even remember the names of my classes). But it was like we were jumping around all the time, and then sometimes we covered the same stuff over and over and other times we skipped chapters and stuff was left out. In my experience, I (and other ISTJ's), are very linear thinkers. We don't like skipping around...things should have a logical progression, so maybe that's why I and your friend don't enjoy history.

I agree. History is so segmented that it never "clicked" with me. I know a lot of things, but ask me something to do with history and I'll crap all over that subject, lol.

I just remember my ISTJ friend memorized her credit card information because she would just spit it out when ordering pizza over the phone. I really don't think I could do that..well I'm sure technically I could...I just wouldn't care to.

I noticed the other day when my grandmother asked me for a couple of, seemingly random, numbers from my memory that I have tons of strings of numbers, all serving their unique purpose (come to find out she was showing my grandfather that most people have certain numbers memorized; social security, driver's license, etc.).

Hmm... a memory like an ISTJ- maybe that is why I am on the Dean's list and I NEVER study? :huh:

I had always attributed this to just being a smart person, but it could do with our preference in type function. Dunno. This worked in high school anyway.

I can always find the place I have visited once already. I'm also very good in Trivia games, because I have got a huge storage of random data. :D

Finding a place I've been to, not only limited to driving, I find that I have a second sense to "knowing" where what I'm looking for is. In a book I'm reading, for instance, I can tell you about the thickness of the place in the book, what side of which page said information should be and approximate paragraph location (after I've read the book, or read past the section). (When I studied the Bible this was amazingly helpful.)

I'm an ISTJ, and I NEVER EVER notice anything regarding clothing. I don't notice when things are out of place either.

I can't remember really anything about a person's clothing, hair, or various outer-wear. It is all so pointless. However, in response to not noticing things when they are out of place we differ, I have a great knowledge as where "something should be."

I personally haven't experienced this. My memory isn't always on par so I tend to write down things I cannot remember because I know this. When I went to purchase a cable at Fry's I knew that I couldn't remember the technical jargon for the cord...VGA to S-Video/RCA, I believe, so it was on a piece of paper. I just showed it to the tech guys and was directed to a cord that didn't work :D lol.

I like to "know" and be aware of my environment and who is in it. Especially if I don't know anyone.- If there's an idiot in the room, I want to know about it. Conversely, if there is a nice girl in the room, I want to know about her too. (Even if it's just to observe them from afar.) Does that make sense?

I didn't realize that I identified with this until you posted it. I most definitely examine who's in a room, simply for the sake of knowing. It helps me determine a comfort level, personally. For example, if there is an idiot in a room, you keep your guard up slightly as to not be terribly unnerved by them if they do target you, lol. You kind of keep them in the corner of your vision. (as far as the hot chick goes, I like knowing they're there, but it serves no purpose, lol)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Actually yeah my memory is pretty good. I used to remember random people's birthdays in high school, and there were about 100 I could remember without any effort. However, nowadays things seem to slip my mind. Probably all those video games.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Actually yeah my memory is pretty good. I used to remember random people's birthdays in high school, and there were about 100 I could remember without any effort. However, nowadays things seem to slip my mind. Probably all those video games.

It's just that the excellent memory gets focused on the video games. When I played World of Warcraft, I was a walking encyclopedia of information.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Probably true about the video games. :D About using the focus for something else, basically.

My parents say that when I was 2 years old, I had a collection of football cards, of all the NFL players, and had memorized each person's team and number. I don't remember any of it now. I'm not as big a fan of football as I used to be. In fact, I don't really remember collecting the cards in the first place. But I think I still remember stats for my favorite, which was Jerry Rice back then.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Probably true about the video games. :D About using the focus for something else, basically.

My parents say that when I was 2 years old, I had a collection of football cards, of all the NFL players, and had memorized each person's team and number. I don't remember any of it now. I'm not as big a fan of football as I used to be. In fact, I don't really remember collecting the cards in the first place. But I think I still remember stats for my favorite, which was Jerry Rice back then.

Haha, funny because my parents told me that when I was around 2 years old, I used to remember all the names of the Hot Wheels car collection that I had. True story. I guess we have a knack for the 'John Doe Syndrome' (remembering the information that normally can't or shouldn't be remembered).

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Haha, funny because my parents told me that when I was around 2 years old, I used to remember all the names of the Hot Wheels car collection that I had. True story. I guess we have a knack for the 'John Doe Syndrome' (remembering the information that normally can't or shouldn't be remembered).

I remember a million phone numbers, but I meet up with someone, and it takes 10 minutes of racking my brain to get their name out.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I can't remember phone numbers, but I can usually remember faces! Now, putting a name to the faces is a whole different story... I only sometimes can remember names.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Having such a great memory for details really hurts the re-playability of the games.. and same goes for the movies too. I can still recall a lot of stuff from old games, such as Wolfenstein 3D...

And I also remember great amount of details about the people I meet.. althought it's mostly unimportant stuff.. like shoe size, favorite ice-cream flavor and some random childhood event they once told me about.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Having such a great memory for details really hurts the re-playability of the games.. and same goes for the movies too. I can still recall a lot of stuff from old games, such as Wolfenstein 3D...

Yeah, I can remember levels in video games very well. I remember movies just as well. Not sure why. :shock:

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I played Guild Wars for about 3 years or so.... After I purchased my Xbox 360, my playing time on Guild Wars decreased greatly, and then stopped.

Until yesterday. Xbox has an internal hardware failure and I have to ship it to Microsoft for repairs. So now I'm playing Guild Wars again.

I agree with most of what's been stated in this thread. Thought I'd post because I still remember....almost literally everything about the game. It's been months since I've played it, too. Scary?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's your system?

I have ISTJ friend who who can walk into a room and pretty much remember every detail in the room.

ISTJs seem to be the best at trivia games, due to being able to remember every little fact they've come across (especially in spatial form). It doesn't seem to matter if they were interested in it or not.

They were also the first ones to point out that I am wearing my shirt backwards or inside out. (I did this more when I was younger).

So how do you do it?

How do you notice when even the slightest thing is out-of-place?

ESTPs can do this too. I have baffled countless people over the years with my ability to remember conversations between them and I, years ago even, word for word. Good with visual memory too, especially if there are boobs involved. :D

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz

And I also remember great amount of details about the people I meet.. althought it's mostly unimportant stuff.. like shoe size, favorite ice-cream flavor and some random childhood event they once told me about.

I don't know, I memorize a lot of stuff about games, but I guess it depends on the game. Usually with games, how it works is I play it for like an hour or 2 until I get frustrated/bored and stop playing. Then like 12-24 hours later, I have this insatiable urge inside of me to go back and play it. It's like this feeling inside that just says, "you haven't done this in a good amount of time and you want to go do it again."

About the memorizing stuff when I was young, I can't really remember anything significant off hand. Although, I do remember for my birthdays and christmas, I'd make lists of the exact power rangers toys I'd want.

ESTPs can do this too. I have baffled countless people over the years with my ability to remember conversations between them and I, years ago even, word for word. Good with visual memory too, especially if there are boobs involved.

I felt guilty for this the other morning when I came into work. I looked at my supervisor and noticed something familiar about her. I looked more closely and realized she was wearing the same blouse as yesterday. I said to her without thinking, "weren't you wearing that blouse yesterday?" She just sighed and said yes to me. I think Fe would've been a bit more considerate about something like that, but I was just more of curious if I was right rather than thinking of how she might take me noticing. I felt bad afterward. :/

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I remembered a past event in detail last night, and told someone I knew about it (it was 9 years ago), and that person I told was there during the event, but they didn't remember it.

I felt guilty for this the other morning when I came into work. I looked at my supervisor and noticed something familiar about her. I looked more closely and realized she was wearing the same blouse as yesterday. I said to her without thinking, "weren't you wearing that blouse yesterday?" She just sighed and said yes to me. I think Fe would've been a bit more considerate about something like that, but I was just more of curious if I was right rather than thinking of how she might take me noticing. I felt bad afterward. :/

Haha, as long as there weren't other people around besides you two, then I wouldn't have felt too bad.