• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Things that give an SJ attitude/vibe

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, I'm curious about something. What kind of movies/books/pictures/music/etc. have you found that you would say give you the strongest Si-ish/SJ vibe? I'm trying to get a "feel" for how SJs see reality. SPs just respond to what they see/sense immediately, and are fairly predictable in their motivations.

It's harder to tell what SJs are responding to, though. All I can tell so far is that they desire structure the same way any other J does, and are a little better with details than I am. Nothing that gives me an idea of what kind of person they are, though. They seem to keep that to themselves.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but sometimes I can't enjoy a movie because what happens is too unrealistic. Like if somebody falls off a cliff and ends up living. Now mind you, I can understand and accept it if there's a cartoon/comedic effect to the movie.

But some action/drama movies have some unrealistic, climatic parts to it that will force an impossible plot to come together. That's what I don't like.

I'll have to think of an example.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I could never get into the vampires craze. It's just too kooky and unbelievable! I do, however, love zombies.
zombiey.gif

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I could never get into the vampires craze. It's just too kooky and unbelievable! I do, however, love zombies.
zombiey.gif

That's so funny, because I am totally addicted to True Blood on HBO and the Twilight series!

The very best movies I have ever seen are the ones where I don't know what's going to happen. I HATE predictable movies! I also hate implausible plots (except for vampire ones, apparently! HA!) or scenarios. I like to watch a movie that I can lose myself in. Movies are one of biggest ways I decompress. I really hate "chick" flicks! Give me something I have to figure out. Has anyone seen The Skeleton Key? If my mind is busy working out what's happening in the movie, it's not think about money or work or job or kids, etc. And I worry ALL the time!!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but sometimes I can't enjoy a movie because what happens is too unrealistic. Like if somebody falls off a cliff and ends up living. Now mind you, I can understand and accept it if there's a cartoon/comedic effect to the movie.

But some action/drama movies have some unrealistic, climatic parts to it that will force an impossible plot to come together. That's what I don't like.

I'll have to think of an example.

I actually hate that too. Whimsical stuff has to have a symbolic element or I'm just like, "What?! That wouldn't happen in real life! :steam:".

My ISFJ mom loves mysteries. They have the level of detail an SJ would appreciate; and often they tell personal, background stories of the people involved that an SFJ is going to love. As for the detail thing, my mom enjoys suspense movies for the same reason. I also notice that SJs love movies based on a true story.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[youtube="PG5yMq-wif0"]Crime solving grannies = totally SJ[/youtube]

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
That depends on what you mean. (Sorry, I haven't "been on" in a while. Just ghosting, mostly.)

By getting the "SJ vibe", do you mean, "what you gravitate to"? I don't know if I could easily explain that, because from what I've been told, I listen to "iNtuitive music", and I apparently like comedy that uses a lot of Ne.

My hobbies mostly consist of playing role-playing video games, reading (science-fiction/fantasy, some political, some sci-fi/horror) and listening to/playing music. They each fulfill a certain purpose.

The RPGs satisfy my never-ending need to complete things. I get a sense of accomplishment, almost a joy. While the joy is never outwardly expressed, I do feel.....better, somehow. (This applies to almost anything I do, as well.) I don't recall the term for it, but I work for a self-satisfactory reason, for an internal reward. I require little "patting on the back" from other people. If I successfully finish something, the internal reward or high is generally all I need.

Reading has a two-fold purpose. The primary purpose is to shut out everything else. By wrapping myself up in a fantasy world, I create a temporal sanctuary from the "outside world". The secondary purpose is intellectually stimulating. I like to "exercise my brain" by trying to figure out the plot in a novel, understand a character's viewpoint, etc, etc.

The purpose for RPG's goes hand-in-hand with reading, in most cases, as well. I select RPG's based on their storylines and then everything else. A great example would be Bioshock, for the Xbox 360. I don't normally play shooters, but I loved the story. (And now I'm not too shabby at shooting.)

Listening to and playing music is closely related to reading in the sense that I can put 110% of my focus on what I'm doing and simultaneously shut everything else out. I like the inner-peace it creates.

Didn't mean for that to sound like a rant on my personal life. I am not completely sure if that answers your question either.

The only other things I can think of that I do that are very Si / SJ -ish, as you put it, are as follows:

I have a craving for knowledge. I read seemingly random news articles (on Yahoo! or in my paper) and I frequently (not on purpose) retain seemingly random information. I later insert this information in the form of small talk when I'm forced to do so (like when dealing with my customers).

I also have this constant need to be useful and to "prove my worth". Not to society or anyone in particular, but mostly to myself. A selfish thing, perhaps. But it does benefit others on occasion. This is where a lot of my Te comes into play. I'm often told I tell things in too much detail, perhaps with my need to be useful going overboard.

Some of my friends tell me I should be a teacher, even though I'd prefer not to be. I've also been called "the walking dictionary" by a few others. Not my favorite nickname.

I'm having a bit of trouble comprehending your question. I'm really trying to help here. You mentioned what we respond to....? I suppose we simply respond to that which we like.

Did that clear anything up?

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I actually hate that too. Whimsical stuff has to have a symbolic element or I'm just like, "What?! That wouldn't happen in real life! :steam:".

My ISFJ mom loves mysteries. They have the level of detail an SJ would appreciate; and often they tell personal, background stories of the people involved that an SFJ is going to love. As for the detail thing, my mom enjoys suspense movies for the same reason. I also notice that SJs love movies based on a true story.

OMG! Shuttup, my ISFJ mom loves mysteries too. And so does my ESFJ sister and grandma. Wow. Awesome. And they all look disgusted when unrealistic turns appear in the plot. (Though....anyone would be annoyed ^^;)

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
OMG! Shuttup, my ISFJ mom loves mysteries too. And so does my ESFJ sister and grandma. Wow. Awesome. And they all look disgusted when unrealistic turns appear in the plot. (Though....anyone would be annoyed ^^;)

Two ISFJ women I know both enjoy German police/detective TV-series, probably because there crimes are rather ordinary (mostly murders I think) and not as high-flying as in their American counter-parts. They both also state that realistic movies are more interesting than fictive ones. They also like to see what "real life" was for people of different eras and status.

I however am a complete opposite. I couldn't care less what a normal life was for 40's women during the war, or how people fared in the 18th century.

I like all things epic and dramatic. Heroic is the keyword for me! I want to see heroic sacrifices made for the good of community, and moral dilemma risen by two opposing yet equal forces (order vs freedom, rationality vs humanity, community vs individualism). And I also like strong audio-visual experiences (like The Fountain and Pan's Labyrinth).

But these might be more of ISTJ vibes, than SJ vibes... it's hard to say what all SJ types would enjoy the most.

But probably SJ vibes mean that the movie has to be well-structured and within norms. I hated Funny Games, as it was a weird movie. It didn't deliver what I had expected of an ordinary horror movie.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
That depends on what you mean. (Sorry, I haven't "been on" in a while. Just ghosting, mostly.)

By getting the "SJ vibe", do you mean, "what you gravitate to"? I don't know if I could easily explain that, because from what I've been told, I listen to "iNtuitive music", and I apparently like comedy that uses a lot of Ne.

My hobbies mostly consist of playing role-playing video games, reading (science-fiction/fantasy, some political, some sci-fi/horror) and listening to/playing music. They each fulfill a certain purpose.

The RPGs satisfy my never-ending need to complete things. I get a sense of accomplishment, almost a joy. While the joy is never outwardly expressed, I do feel.....better, somehow. (This applies to almost anything I do, as well.) I don't recall the term for it, but I work for a self-satisfactory reason, for an internal reward. I require little "patting on the back" from other people. If I successfully finish something, the internal reward or high is generally all I need.

Reading has a two-fold purpose. The primary purpose is to shut out everything else. By wrapping myself up in a fantasy world, I create a temporal sanctuary from the "outside world". The secondary purpose is intellectually stimulating. I like to "exercise my brain" by trying to figure out the plot in a novel, understand a character's viewpoint, etc, etc.

The purpose for RPG's goes hand-in-hand with reading, in most cases, as well. I select RPG's based on their storylines and then everything else. A great example would be Bioshock, for the Xbox 360. I don't normally play shooters, but I loved the story. (And now I'm not too shabby at shooting.)

Listening to and playing music is closely related to reading in the sense that I can put 110% of my focus on what I'm doing and simultaneously shut everything else out. I like the inner-peace it creates.

Didn't mean for that to sound like a rant on my personal life. I am not completely sure if that answers your question either.

The only other things I can think of that I do that are very Si / SJ -ish, as you put it, are as follows:

I have a craving for knowledge. I read seemingly random news articles (on Yahoo! or in my paper) and I frequently (not on purpose) retain seemingly random information. I later insert this information in the form of small talk when I'm forced to do so (like when dealing with my customers).

I also have this constant need to be useful and to "prove my worth". Not to society or anyone in particular, but mostly to myself. A selfish thing, perhaps. But it does benefit others on occasion. This is where a lot of my Te comes into play. I'm often told I tell things in too much detail, perhaps with my need to be useful going overboard.

Some of my friends tell me I should be a teacher, even though I'd prefer not to be. I've also been called "the walking dictionary" by a few others. Not my favorite nickname.

I'm having a bit of trouble comprehending your question. I'm really trying to help here. You mentioned what we respond to....? I suppose we simply respond to that which we like.

Did that clear anything up?

I love RPGs too- Right now I'm playing Zelda- Ocarina of Time- it's pretty good! I love the fact that Wii has all these games for cheap!

I think the best RPG I've played was Final Fantasy VII. I think I almost dropped out of college for it. LOL.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
That's so funny, because I am totally addicted to True Blood on HBO and the Twilight series!

The very best movies I have ever seen are the ones where I don't know what's going to happen. I HATE predictable movies! I also hate implausible plots (except for vampire ones, apparently! HA!) or scenarios. I like to watch a movie that I can lose myself in. Movies are one of biggest ways I decompress. I really hate "chick" flicks! Give me something I have to figure out. Has anyone seen The Skeleton Key? If my mind is busy working out what's happening in the movie, it's not think about money or work or job or kids, etc. And I worry ALL the time!!

Same here- I hate predictable plots. I think that's why I love Law and Order-> As predictable as the plots are, their endings are usually good. I mean they always have a suspect in the interrogation room, and in comes their lawyer with some clever line to save the day. Or they are always on time with that blue covered document to dismiss some key evidence. It's funny, but they manage to keep me watching.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I like movies with classy soundtracks and stories that have a point. The meaninglessness of post-modern film and literature is the anti-SJ. Maybe even the anti-Christ.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Okay, I'm curious about something. What kind of movies/books/pictures/music/etc. have you found that you would say give you the strongest Si-ish/SJ vibe? I'm trying to get a "feel" for how SJs see reality. SPs just respond to what they see/sense immediately, and are fairly predictable in their motivations.
I'm not really sure what you mean by giving a "vibe." :confused: Are the answers others are giving you answering your question? I'll try to respond in a similar fashion giving preferences and the possible reason for those preferences.

I absolutely love mysteries, detective stories, crime scene shows, etc. I enjoy Monk and CSI, and as a kid I loved reading books like The Westing Game, Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys, etc. However, the strange thing is that I very seldom look ahead in anything I'm reading/watching to see the possible outcomes. I am almost always totally absorbed in what is going on at that moment in the story that I don't consider what may happen. That actually makes me feel pretty stupid quite often, because in watching a movie there will be elements to a story that everyone else in a group predicts and I am left going, "Oh, didn't really see that coming." I like to speculate sometimes, but I have to actually stop a movie/put down a book to take the time to think things through.

I also tend to be turned off by a lot of things that seem totally unrealistic. But at the same time, there are certain types of fantasy/theoretical plotlines that appeal to me very much. I absolutely love superhero movies/shows. I also love things about time travel. But stupid little details in a movie or show will drive me nuts. To illustrate what I mean, I'll share this quote from the Big Bang Theory. When my friend and I heard it, she said, "That is EXACTLY something you would say!" (referring to the bolded part below):

Penny: You know, I do like the [Superman movie] where Lois Lane falls from the helicopter and Superman swooshes down and catches her. Which one was that?
Leonard, Sheldon, Wolowitz: *One.* [Rajh holds up one finger]
Sheldon: You know that scene was rife with scientific inaccuracy?
Penny: Yes, I know men can't fly...
Sheldon: No, no, let's assume that they can... Lois Lane is falling, accelerating at an initial rate of 32 feet per second per second... Superman swoops down to save her by reaching out two arms of steel... Miss Lane, who is now traveling at approximately 120 miles an hour, hits them and is immediately sliced into three equal pieces.

That's exactly how I am. :rolli:

As far as music, I like classical and instrumental music that is orderly. I like music that gives a cultural experience, so to speak (I have Scotch-Irish heritage and so Celtic music really appeals to me). I like whimsical music that gives a feeling of happiness. I really, really love music that takes themes of life and simplifies them...songs that make life seem wonderful and beautiful as they are without sugar-coating them or poeticizing them too much. I love songs that take simple reality and make it charming if that makes sense. And I also, for whatever reason, often enjoy very melancholy songs. I have a very hard time enjoying hard rock at all...to the frustration of my NT boyfriend.

Most books that I read these days are for purpose rather than leisure. Usually informational books or self help books.

As far as pictures/art are concerned, I like things that are what they are, so to speak. I don't get art that has to be analyzed to determine what it is or some kind of "meaning" in it. I am decorating my kitchen in coffee-shop type stuff. I have a bathroom with framed comic book covers (really it looks more classy than it sounds, I promise). Still working on the rest of the house but most of the art will be nature photography. I absolutely LOVE nature photography. The most beautiful things to me are what can be immediately seen with the eye if a person is in the right place at the right time. Everyday pleasures we take for granted are inspiring to me.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Same here- I hate predictable plots. I think that's why I love Law and Order-> As predictable as the plots are, their endings are usually good. I mean they always have a suspect in the interrogation room, and in comes their lawyer with some clever line to save the day. Or they are always on time with that blue covered document to dismiss some key evidence. It's funny, but they manage to keep me watching.

I love Law and Order too (SVU is my favorite) and pretty much all courtroom dramas - I loved "The Practice" and I like "Raising the Bar." My huband makes fun of me because I LOVE Nancy Grace, but that must mean I do like some true stuff. I used to read True Crime books when I was way younger, but I got tired of them. I loved Six Feet Under when it was on! I love some of the "darker" shows like that. I'm not big into "mysteries"...especially series with the same detective or whatever...BORING. I love Stephen King. I've recently been reading John Lescroat and I like him.

I just thought of something totally implausible that I do like - the shows Medium and Ghost Whisperer. Ghost Whisperer got a little predictable, but you never know what will happen on Medium...which is kind of cool.

I LOVE movies and books! The library is my favorite place on earth!! :heart: As for music, I like a little of everything. Except maybe jazz and classical. Oh, and alternative. My weird INFP husband loves alternative. I don't look for symobolism in music though or anything of that nature.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Two ISFJ women I know both enjoy German police/detective TV-series, probably because there crimes are rather ordinary (mostly murders I think) and not as high-flying as in their American counter-parts. They both also state that realistic movies are more interesting than fictive ones. They also like to see what "real life" was for people of different eras and status.

I however am a complete opposite. I couldn't care less what a normal life was for 40's women during the war, or how people fared in the 18th century.

I like all things epic and dramatic. Heroic is the keyword for me! I want to see heroic sacrifices made for the good of community, and moral dilemma risen by two opposing yet equal forces (order vs freedom, rationality vs humanity, community vs individualism). And I also like strong audio-visual experiences (like The Fountain and Pan's Labyrinth).

But these might be more of ISTJ vibes, than SJ vibes... it's hard to say what all SJ types would enjoy the most.

But probably SJ vibes mean that the movie has to be well-structured and within norms. I hated Funny Games, as it was a weird movie. It didn't deliver what I had expected of an ordinary horror movie.

My ISFJ mom is really into that kind of thing. :yes:

It makes sense for general STJ and SFJ tastes to differ. I can especially see their humor being different. ISTJs can be biting and dry and sarcastic, and I find SFJs more cutesy.

Sam Spade

MBTI Type
ISTj
I really like detective stories (obviously) and war movies along with comedies like Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm. I also enjoy odd modern films like Oldboy and Trainspotting.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I like any kind of suspense movie because they usually aren't boring. Comedy can be entertaining too (has to be the right comedy), not shit like those teen comedies. Horror is great too, but my favorite genre is suspense.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I'm not really sure what you mean by giving a "vibe." :confused: Are the answers others are giving you answering your question? I'll try to respond in a similar fashion giving preferences and the possible reason for those preferences.

Just mention something with vibe or ask them if they get vibes and if they look confused then you got an SJ. :thumbup:

vibe concept is abstract and not physically sensed, they will be confused.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Just mention something with vibe or ask them if they get vibes and if they look confused then you got an SJ. :thumbup:

That's why i keep on looking at this thread thinking wth!!!
I can't reply to it.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ

The 'vibe' concept is abstract so therefore the definition of the word depends on your interpretation. You want specific details from SJs then frame the question with words that have a specific meaning.

However, I beleive the OP wanted a general interpretation. S/he was casting her/his net wide to see the responses s/he got.