User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Paralysis By Analysis- An SJ trait?

This is a spinoff from the 'Risk' thread:

How often will you analyze something to the point that you are frozen as to what to do- meaning you don't take any action, or what you do is very last minute, rushed or you are even late in execution, trying to figure out what action to take?

I know I have my bouts. Especially at work I may get so caught up on some detail, that in the end I realize is not as big of a deal as I thought, and have to rush through or are late. I've actually made a reminder to myself to just go with whatever I think I need to do, and let my boss decide if it's good or not.

I guess it's the perfectionist in me.

Is it an SJ thing, or maybe a T thing? What do you think?

MBTI
    I

Yeah, I do this a bit. Sometimes I overanalyze or overthink situations, data, or work that in the end, I either end up doing nothing or work on it for too long, ignoring the big picture.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

How often will you analyze something to the point that you are frozen as to what to do- meaning you don't take any action, or what you do is very last minute, rushed or you are even late in execution, trying to figure out what action to take?
    Yep. Like my roommate and buying a house. Really shocking to see someone who is usually such a planner and on top of things freeze up like that. It's like mentally he can't handle it so he does nothing at all.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelinpa View Post
    Yep. Like my roommate and buying a house. Really shocking to see someone who is usually such a planner and on top of things freeze up like that. It's like mentally he can't handle it so he does nothing at all.
    That's a big decision, each option has a lot of unknown....I can understand where he's coming from.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Only when trying to do something with girls really. I've realized that generally, while planning can be extremely useful, when dealing with girls I need to "just do it". Of course, being a socially inept ISTJ, I can't really "just do it" until I'm forced to, so I always end up delaying my move until the VERY LAST second. Every moment up to that point has me silently freaking out / running simulations in my head.

Otherwise though, I tend to not care about much of my work to a point where I don't get hung up on any details. With personal projects, it's much the opposite where I try to account for absolutely EVERYTHING. (But those personal projects are just for fun and accounting for pointless details is fun for me.)

MBTI
    ISTJ

I would say this it is more "Paralysis by uncertainty and inability to rank options" for me. I am currently trying to make a short-medium term career decision and I am overwhelmed by information. Furthermore, every time I read some extra information, I would change my mind. I appear to weigh recent information more than earlier information. How can I trust my decision if is so easy to change it?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    I would say this it is more "Paralysis by uncertainty and inability to rank options" for me. I am currently trying to make a short-medium term career decision and I am overwhelmed by information. Furthermore, every time I read some extra information, I would change my mind. I appear to weigh recent information more than earlier information. How can I trust my decision if is so easy to change it?
    I don't generally deal with "paralysis by analysis." I will gather all of the information that I need to in order to make a decision, but after I review it - I can make a decision pretty easily and the implement it. My INFP, on the other hand...has horrible "analysis paralysis!"

MBTI
    ESFJ

I don't analyze what i do at work. I go in, do the job and leave. Simple as. I know i am good at what i do.

It's at home where i can get myself in a rut and over analysis situations. I did it last night and this morning. I am trying to find work but i have enrolled on a 8 weeks course starting at the end of next month. I have been overthinking things such as how does it look to an employer, should i be doing more, should i just work.

I have now come to the conclusion, i'll do the course if i haven't found work but shall continue applying for anything in my field.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    YaYa

It is P.

P like to gather as much info as possible for a decision is made.

However many J tend to be risk averse. So if it is something you might thinking is risky, I could see PxA.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    It is P.

P like to gather as much info as possible for a decision is made.

However many J tend to be risk averse. So if it is something you might thinking is risky, I could see PxA.

That's a great point. My risk is usually not getting it right on the first try. Perfectionism at its worst!!