User Tag List

First 12

Yes... I recently made a decision in my heart to go with a particular university which took ages, and even now I'm uncertain if I'm making a wrong decision. This definitely is a case of paralysis by analysis with a combination of wanting the perfect future, where I'm maximizing happiness and minimizing chance of being unsatisified. It's all a little OCD perhaps.

When I collect more information I feel better however after a while it becomes a case of just delaying a decision because no extra knowledge can help you out. You sit there waiting for inspiration to come but it never does really.

MBTI
    ISTJ

One of my textbook says that people either maximize the best outcome or maximize the worse outcome. Sometimes I feel as if I am trying to do both at the same time.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    One of my textbook says that people either maximize the best outcome or maximize the worse outcome. Sometimes I feel as if I am trying to do both at the same time.
    What textbook (what class) is it?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    That's a great point. My risk is usually not getting it right on the first try. Perfectionism at its worst!!
    And that is the problem with perfection. It only matters to you, no one else really cares as much. You see a perfect job well done, they see an adequate one.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    What textbook (what class) is it?
    It's an survey level business course.

Uncertainty
    Limited information prevents estimation of outcome probabilities; may force managers to rely on intuition, hunches, and gut feelings
    Maximax: the optimistic managers choice to maximize the maximum payoff
    Maximin: the pessimistic managers choice to maximize the minimum payoff
    Minimax: the managers choice to minimize his maximum regret

Powerpoint slide 22
    Book website

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    This is a spinoff from the 'Risk' thread:

How often will you analyze something to the point that you are frozen as to what to do- meaning you don't take any action, or what you do is very last minute, rushed or you are even late in execution, trying to figure out what action to take?

I know I have my bouts. Especially at work I may get so caught up on some detail, that in the end I realize is not as big of a deal as I thought, and have to rush through or are late. I've actually made a reminder to myself to just go with whatever I think I need to do, and let my boss decide if it's good or not.

I guess it's the perfectionist in me.

Is it an SJ thing, or maybe a T thing? What do you think?
    I think it's an Introverted trait, especially an IN or IT trait. I know that INTPs definitely do that as well, as do some INTPs, INTJs, INFJs, and even INFPs at times.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    And that is the problem with perfection. It only matters to you, no one else really cares as much. You see a perfect job well done, they see an adequate one.
    Exactly Sassy!!!

It's like I slaved over this spreadsheet, and all I get is a "This looks good"? You should be preparing to eat off this masterpiece of work!!! LOL

Yes, it's that bad.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think it's an Introverted trait, especially an IN or IT trait. I know that INTPs definitely do that as well, as do some INTPs, INTJs, INFJs, and even INFPs at times.
    I would think if you have I and T, and the more I think about it I could see Ps not being able to get there either.

Thanks.