User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default ESTJ/ISTJ- How objective are you?

How objective are you? I'm finding that I can be very objective- even in family disputes. I have 10 bros and sisters, 3 of them being steps.

Well the 8 of us who are both our parent's children were discussing something happening between the family. I noticed that all of my sisters were getting emotionally affected and my brothers remained silent, kind of objective (it's amazing how straight down the line we are). I don't know their types, but I know in my mind and my stand on the issue was not about sides, or who was right or wrong. In fact, all parties involved were wrong in some respect, all needed to admit it, not make blame, and move on.

Although I hate any kind of drama within my family, I was kind of surprised that my objective approach played out even in something so close to me.

Do you ISTJs/ESTJs have these same experiences?

Let's say it's a dispute between a close family member, perhaps an SO, and a complete stanger, and, based on facts, your family/SO is in partially or completely in the wrong. Do you take sides with family/SO just because they are closer to you? How would you handle it?

MBTI
    ISTJ

I don't understand... what was your objective in the above mentioned scenario?

I'm not sure about "objective", but when this happens in my family I pretty much do the same thing.... sit silently and listen until it is over. (Of course, I have ALL sisters and NO brothers, so they have me trained to keep my mouth shut otherwise they would turn their attention towards me! )

I think my "objective" would be just to keep it civilized. I don't really care if people are arguing...
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    I don't understand... what was your objective in the above mentioned scenario?

I'm not sure about "objective", but when this happens in my family I pretty much do the same thing.... sit silently and listen until it is over. (Of course, I have ALL sisters and NO brothers, so they have me trained to keep my mouth shut otherwise they would turn their attention towards me! )

I think my "objective" would be just to keep it civilized. I don't really care if people are arguing...
    Yeah I had to be clear. This would be a T/F difference. Ts are usually more objective and Fs subjective; and the question is asked since there are varying degrees of objectivity/subjectivity.

I agree with D@v3. I'm pretty much the same way. I almost never want attention to be on me during an argument.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Slickness View Post
    I agree with D@v3. I'm pretty much the same way. I almost never want attention to be on me during an argument.
    But can you be objective, that is, not take sides? Do you/can you see both sides, their pros, and cons?

MBTI
    INTJ

I Updated the question to be more clear. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    But can you be objective, that is, not take sides? Do you/can you see both sides, their pros, and cons?
    At times, yes, but when I do take a side, I am fiercely supportive of it. But when I am uninformed/under-informed in a situation, I do tend to be objective.

MBTI
    I

Of course. The whole point of being objective is to tell it like it is and NOT take sides. Objectivity is actually a far more just and fair assessment than subjectivity. Objectivity FTW.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Of course. The whole point of being objective is to tell it like it is and NOT take sides. Objectivity is actually a far more just and fair assessment than subjectivity. Objectivity FTW.
    Yeah but suppose it was between a loved one and a stranger, and the loved one was clearly wrong. Would you still remain objective?

MBTI
    I

Yeah but suppose it was between a loved one and a stranger, and the loved one was clearly wrong. Would you still remain objective?
    Hmm... it depends on the loved one's personality. If she takes things too personally, then I would lie to not create an unnecessary argument or hurt her feelings. If not, then I would tell the truth.