• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ESTJ/ISTJ- How objective are you?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
How objective are you? I'm finding that I can be very objective- even in family disputes. I have 10 bros and sisters, 3 of them being steps.

Well the 8 of us who are both our parent's children were discussing something happening between the family. I noticed that all of my sisters were getting emotionally affected and my brothers remained silent, kind of objective (it's amazing how straight down the line we are). I don't know their types, but I know in my mind and my stand on the issue was not about sides, or who was right or wrong. In fact, all parties involved were wrong in some respect, all needed to admit it, not make blame, and move on.

Although I hate any kind of drama within my family, I was kind of surprised that my objective approach played out even in something so close to me.

Do you ISTJs/ESTJs have these same experiences?

Let's say it's a dispute between a close family member, perhaps an SO, and a complete stanger, and, based on facts, your family/SO is in partially or completely in the wrong. Do you take sides with family/SO just because they are closer to you? How would you handle it?

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't understand... what was your objective in the above mentioned scenario?

I'm not sure about "objective", but when this happens in my family I pretty much do the same thing.... sit silently and listen until it is over.:violin: (Of course, I have ALL sisters and NO brothers, so they have me trained to keep my mouth shut otherwise they would turn their attention towards me! :doh:)

I think my "objective" would be just to keep it civilized. I don't really care if people are arguing...

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't understand... what was your objective in the above mentioned scenario?

I'm not sure about "objective", but when this happens in my family I pretty much do the same thing.... sit silently and listen until it is over.:violin: (Of course, I have ALL sisters and NO brothers, so they have me trained to keep my mouth shut otherwise they would turn their attention towards me! :doh:)

I think my "objective" would be just to keep it civilized. I don't really care if people are arguing...

Yeah I had to be clear. This would be a T/F difference. Ts are usually more objective and Fs subjective; and the question is asked since there are varying degrees of objectivity/subjectivity.

Slickness

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I agree with D@v3. I'm pretty much the same way. I almost never want attention to be on me during an argument.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree with D@v3. I'm pretty much the same way. I almost never want attention to be on me during an argument.

But can you be objective, that is, not take sides? Do you/can you see both sides, their pros, and cons?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I Updated the question to be more clear. Sorry for the confusion.

Slickness

MBTI Type
ISTJ
But can you be objective, that is, not take sides? Do you/can you see both sides, their pros, and cons?

At times, yes, but when I do take a side, I am fiercely supportive of it. But when I am uninformed/under-informed in a situation, I do tend to be objective.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Of course. The whole point of being objective is to tell it like it is and NOT take sides. Objectivity is actually a far more just and fair assessment than subjectivity. Objectivity FTW.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Of course. The whole point of being objective is to tell it like it is and NOT take sides. Objectivity is actually a far more just and fair assessment than subjectivity. Objectivity FTW.

Yeah but suppose it was between a loved one and a stranger, and the loved one was clearly wrong. Would you still remain objective?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah but suppose it was between a loved one and a stranger, and the loved one was clearly wrong. Would you still remain objective?

Hmm... it depends on the loved one's personality. If she takes things too personally, then I would lie to not create an unnecessary argument or hurt her feelings. If not, then I would tell the truth.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hmm... it depends on the loved one's personality. If she takes things too personally, then I would lie to not create an unnecessary argument or hurt her feelings. If not, then I would tell the truth.

That's what I'm getting at. I was surprised that I was able to remain objective and to not take anybody's side. Even if it meant hurting someone's feelings, I felt it necessary to state that nobody was more right than the other. They all acted in a way that caused the situation at hand. It was an eye opener for me.

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Since I want fairness and justice for all people, damn sure I am objective.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Generally, if the conflict was between a stranger and a loved one, I'd prefer to stay out of it. I hate conflict unless I know I am on the winning side. In this case, as I'd be clearly in the wrong to support my family member, I don't think I could. I might provide some words of comfort or objective advice but otherwise, the conflict really isn't any of my business.

In the case that I would be forced to take action, ultimately I think justice is more important to me than family so I'd make sure that any debts are payed. You can't fault me for something like that.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Exactly, Wicked Queen and BlueSky.

I heard someone saying that you should always take sides with the family member, especially if it's an SO. I don't think so.

If you are wrong, you're wrong. But being considerate, I probably would try to wait until I was out of the public to show my family member that they were wrong. Otherwise, I'd try to stay out of it like BlueSky mentioned.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I heard someone saying that you should always take sides with the family member, especially if it's an SO. I don't think so.

If you are wrong, you're wrong. But being considerate, I probably would try to wait until I was out of the public to show my family member that they were wrong. Otherwise, I'd try to stay out of it like BlueSky mentioned.

Yeah, makes sense to me.