• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ's and keeping up appearances

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Do you behave in a particular way to sustain the 'social norm' when out and about?

Do you care about appearances?

When people come round your place, do you have to make sure its perfect and clean?

Any extra thoughts?

1 - When out, i do not curse nearly as much as i do when at home (away from the children). My children actually ask me to stop being silly when out as i am causing a scene.
2 - I really don't care about appearances. If i look like crap when out, so be it. It doesn't bother me that people may be judging my looks/clothes etc. I don't judge anyone else.
3 - Never, if you come round when a bomb has hit it, oh well. I won't make the extra effort just because someone might think bad of me. You take it as it is. Don't like it then leave.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I wear unassuming, plain clothes. Nothing bold or flamboyant. But I do make point of being presentable. I keep a clean cut appearance. I do this not so much to impress or whatever, but rather because I consider it to be polite manners. I really wish men wore suits and hats all the time like the golden days of yore...

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I dress comfortably, that's my main priority, and [hopefully] appropriate for the occasion (whatever that may be). I like to think I have some sense of what's decent in taste though.

I'd say probably my favorite outfit and what I wear 90% of the time is something like this for example (I keep it casual unless out of the question):
450x450.jpeg

HUTk.jpg

57402_w.jpg

:D

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Do you behave in a particular way to sustain the 'social norm' when out and about?
I don't usually do things that are really considered inappropriate. However, I do often act goofy in public with no regard to what people around me think. Especially if I'm with friends or whoever, I will throw aside some cautions and have fun, but it's never in an inappropriate way.

To some degree. I think it shows politeness to the people around me when I dress for the occasion. If I'm going to town, I generally will fix myself up. Even if I'm just wearing a tshirt and a ball cap, I'll at least fix my makeup and try to look "cute." If I'm going to the symphony, I will dress up. If I'm going to church, I'll also try to look nice. However, I'm not the kind of person who wears high heels to the mall...practicality is an important factor to me as long as the image still fits the event.

When people come round your place, do you have to make sure its perfect and clean?
Maybe not perfect, but definitely clean. I don't want people coming in and seeing dirty dishes or huge piles of laundry. I'm not going to freak out if the furniture hasn't been dusted in awhile or the rug is due for a vacuuming, though. It is a sign of respect to me to have things looking fairly clean...I don't like them to be dirty to the point where it's distracting.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Haha, not at all. If I act unlike most people, I don't care if they see that. Sometimes I act out of the ordinary on purpose just for the fun of it. The only social rules (if you can call them social rules) I believe are helpful are to not be a bad citizen - do not steal, kill, rape, etc. 'Social norms' are B.S.

Yes I do IF I'm being evaluated. If I'm at work, then I do care about my appearance. I make sure that I'm somewhat formal (not very formal), and that I look okay to good. If I'm not at work, then I don't care to be formal, I wear whatever I like. I care about my appearances for my own self-satisfaction, not to please others.

I absolutely HATE formal clothing. People say I look good in them, but I hate wearing anything formal - suits, ties, dress pants, formal shoes, not a fan. I know formal clothing impresses people, but I like being in comfortable clothing.

Haha I live with my parents, don't have enough money to live on my own, especially in this terrible economy. Yeah my mom especially likes to have a very clean house when guests come, and she makes it a point to do some cleaning.

Slickness

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I wear unassuming, plain clothes. Nothing bold or flamboyant. But I do make point of being presentable. I keep a clean cut appearance. I do this not so much to impress or whatever, but rather because I consider it to be polite manners. I really wish men wore suits and hats all the time like the golden days of yore...

Agreed. I can't stand it when other people are like in the airport in their pajamas, for example. When out in public, I simply wear a t-shirt and shorts, and shoes and socks.

About people coming over to my house, I consider it polite for them to come to a clean house.:hug:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I dress comfortably, that's my main priority, and [hopefully] appropriate for the occasion (whatever that may be). I like to think I have some sense of what's decent in taste though.

+1 :cheers:

Definitely has to be something comfortable.
201groupPS.jpg

(The "olive" colored one.)

ae-cargo_shorts.jpg

:D:D

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha, the clothes. That's what I wear, too--Cargo shorts and rather plain T-shirts. But these days, who doesn't?

A little bit. I don't do anything too far out of the ordinary. With friends, that often loosens up, though.

Not with friends, not really. With strangers, a little more.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
No.

Yes, to an extent. (I don't change my appearance to appease people.)

Yes..... and no. Everything MUST be organized! However, not necessarily clean. In other words, I'll vacuum, but I won't do dusting or anything like that! ;) [Things classified as "junk" get thrown under the bed! :cheese:]

Any extra thoughts?
I like to keep things "organized" so I don't lose anything. People coming over gives me an excuse to re-organize things to their "default" placements.

Haha, the clothes. That's what I wear, too--Cargo shorts and rather plain T-shirts. But these days, who doesn't?
Yeah, I was hoping it wasn't an "ISTJ" thing to wear cargo shorts and t-shirts. :laugh:

A little bit. I don't do anything too far out of the ordinary. With friends, that often loosens up, though.
This is kind of what I meant above. I don't mean to say that friends are not important, it's just that like Cim said, it's a bit of "loose" environment. They won't hold anything against you if you have a messy place. :)

Not with friends, not really. With strangers, a little more.
Precisely. :cheers:

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ

I don't do things in public that any extra draw attention to me.

I care about my appearance (to an extent.) I have a friend who would never go out of the house without her makeup and hair done, I don't go that far. I dress professional at work and comfy at home. I make extra effort if me and my hubby are going out. I don't care about other people's appearances much.

I rarely have anyone over because I live with my 2 teenage boys and my not so neat hubby and my house is never perfectly clean. I have a few people in my inner circle that come over once awhile.

I HATE it when people "drop by!"