• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Any atheistic SJs?

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Most atheists I've met were NTs, but I wonder how traditional SJs would go about it. What is your vision of the world if you are an atheistic SJ?

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Not an atheist. Also most atheists I know are also on this forum.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It'd probably be something such as, "I don't have time for religious ideas" or "Who cares about that meaning of life stuff? I have a job and friends and family, I'm a busy guy." Maybe that would be agnostic.

Or if they had grown up in a society that disdains religion and supports atheist ideals.

There are several possibilities.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmmm.... nope I'm not an atheist.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I think I might be an ignostic.

I do not believe in God as the Bible defines it, but I think there's a chance that some hyper-super-developed alien race that we could see as gods, exists. We'd be as significant to them, as amoebas are to us.

That means that the definition of god is very vague, and thus their existence shouldn't be denied.

However, I find that existence of God is irrelevant, as the Faith is far more important factor. If you believe in god, it's irrelevant whether god exists or not. It's people who wrote the bible and who keep following it. It's people who are saying what is sin and what is sacred. It's people who build churches and held ceremonies. An actual god has very little to do with any religious event.

But for the sake of clarity, let's just say that I'm an atheist. But a passive one.. I don't give a flying ***** whether someone else believes in a god or not, just as long as they leave me be.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am not sure if my views on religion are agnostic or not.

I would say my morals are Christian based (6 of the 10 commandments) yet i don't go to church or talk to God. No one can prove he/she/it really existed other than a book which i am sure has been twisted in every way over time.
My mother brought me a child's version of the bible as a child and it was a good read, not enough to convert me though. Even then, for me it just raised more questions.
I liked at first (they don't leave you alone) when the Mormons called at my house as we would debate the whole religion thing. They just persevere though.
I still have an open mind.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My ESTJ friend is very much an atheist. I'm trying to remember if she ever emphatically stated a particular reason so, but really- she's a scientist, through and through (I say this entirely as a compliment). :D Quantify it, measure it, isolate it- make it tangible, make it accountable/testable, make it useful, make it mean something- or else she's not interested.

I can't remember if my ISTJ friend believed in God. I don't think it ever came up/ I don't think she cared much. She cared about the environment, and civil rights, politics, and the illogical/ hurtful things people do in the name of religion passionately and dedicatedly, but the actual religious questions? The existance of God? Again, I don't think she found it much relevant to any issues that ever came up in the situations I saw her in.

Amongst my family members, I know some religious SJs, but I don't know if they believe in a god/gods (it doesn't come up in their religious practice), necessarily- but I don't think they believe in a benevolent one, at the very least.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Another atheist (I swear, I know people who aren't :laugh:, but I guess they also aren't SJs- I don't try and type people I don't know fairly well, however), but I thought that might be beating a dead horse a bit, as there have been plenty of threads asking personal opinion on the topic.

Don't get me wrong. I've been to church and synagogue and around people professing their faith and the joys it brings them and I recognize the cultural and personal appeal- but it is equally matched by unappeal- and at the end of the day, I just don't feel it myself. It's not in me and I don't see a reason to force it. I got other things to think about anyway.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a friend who tests as ISTJ who's an atheist. She told me once that it never made sense to her how there could be a god with all the suffering in the world, and that was that. She doesn't make a big deal out of it. She's never even used the word atheist to describe herself.

She's not very tradition bound, in general.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm a libertarian, agnostic, and humanist. :hi: I appreciate things about my moderately Catholic upbringing and what I have learned about other religions in my life.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm an atheist here. God is as real to me as fairies are. As for my vision of the world... Well, I'm not really sure what you mean.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I'm an atheist here. God is as real to me as fairies are. As for my vision of the world... Well, I'm not really sure what you mean.

What I mean is, what reasons would make you refuse to believe, and how belief in God is a bad thing in general for you.

I like the ideas mentioned before that if an SJ has been raised with atheistic ideals he will believe on in that manner, or the idea of being a scientist (modern science is strongly influenced by atheistic philosophies).

I am a Christian myself, by the way.
Just curious to hear what you SJs would have to say about it. This is about a novel I am working on. The character's aunt (and tutor) is a SJ atheist and dislikes her niece being very spiritual because she sees it as error and thinks she will hurt herself. Does that make sense? The character (aunt) has been raised an atheist and her brother is an intellectual who provides ideas and reasons to reject the belief in God.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
I used to be an atheist, but I decided not to be anymore. I actually used to like watching Joyce Meyer on TV back when I was a little kid and I wasn't really sure if I was an atheist or not, and I've gotten back into that now. My parents both, but particularly my dad, are very strongly atheist, but I'm open to anything that may come to me in the next couple of years and I respect the beliefs of others.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I used to be an atheist, but I decided not to be anymore. I actually used to like watching Joyce Meyer on TV back when I was a little kid and I wasn't really sure if I was an atheist or not, and I've gotten back into that now. My parents both, but particularly my dad, are very strongly atheist, but I'm open to anything that may come to me in the next couple of years and I respect the beliefs of others.

Joyce Meyer is such an ESJ! I like her too. My ESTJ mom absolutely loves her.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I live in a community with strong atheistic tendencies, but I was raised in the Episcopal church (my mother is a choir director and organist at the church where I went to Sunday school). If my parents were atheists, I would be too. I'm 100% sure. My argument would be that there isn't any proof, probably.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
What I mean is, what reasons would make you refuse to believe, and how belief in God is a bad thing in general for you.

I like the ideas mentioned before that if an SJ has been raised with atheistic ideals he will believe on in that manner, or the idea of being a scientist (modern science is strongly influenced by atheistic philosophies).

I am a Christian myself, by the way.
Just curious to hear what you SJs would have to say about it. This is about a novel I am working on. The character's aunt (and tutor) is a SJ atheist and dislikes her niece being very spiritual because she sees it as error and thinks she will hurt herself. Does that make sense? The character (aunt) has been raised an atheist and her brother is an intellectual who provides ideas and reasons to reject the belief in God.

So as for my vision of the world:

I think you word it a little weird when you say "refuse to believe". It's more like I see no reason to believe. Basically, if I said that I believed in fairies you'd call me crazy. There is no evidence that fairies exist. And while I can't rule out the possibility of a God (or fairies), until some concrete evidence appears I see no reason to believe.

And while I'd hate to generalize, I find that by the nature of being religious people, many religious people are somewhat ignorant (or possibly just blind). Believers will tell stories of how they know God is real. I used to do this myself. I would explain to people that whenever I didn't do my homework (which was rare) the teachers would never check, and thus God exists; but this totally ignores the fact that it could be just plain coincidence. (I'm sure I wouldn't have made that mistake if people had told me stories of all the times they didn't do their homework and got caught.) I don't think being religious though can really hurt somebody most of the time; more like the person is signing up for slavery. It's just foolish, limiting, and blinding. To believer in my eyes, suggest a certain amount of gullibility on the part of the believer. And while I say that religion most of the time won't hurt, 9/11 is proof that religion certainly can be bad.

And somewhat recently, I explained to my parents that I longer believed in God which was a lot of fun. I was able to argue and reveal how little they know about their own faith and only confirm my assumptions that believers are just blind. My mom even sent me to talk with the local pastor. We talked for a few hours and again, I only saw how blind people can be. I think that's only natural though, that is, to not renounce one's faith. People treat ideas like possessions.

I also very much dislike the people who believe that atheists can't have morals. Morality is a social thing; not a religious one. If everybody believed it was okay to kill others then it would be. There is so much evidence for this.

If it's of any interest to you, I used to be a Catholic myself. Being an SJ perfectionist though, I wanted to understand my thinking so that I might do better, leading me to the MBTI, critical thinking, and the realization that I had no reason to believe in God.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
As for me, it's not a refusal to believe. It's an inability to latch on to something or the idea of something that is so abstract and out of this realm. Not only that, but what evidence is there to suggest one religion (or any religion) over another? The questions are endless and the answers aren't there. Bottom line is that it takes faith. Faith isn't enough.

I'm the only one of 6 to fall away from the faith in my family. I'm also the only SJ.