• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ's and Reading People

SubjectA

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Both my father (an ISTJ) and my fiance (an ISFJ) are very good at "reading people." They can quickly figured out what kind of person they are, and especially in my fiance's case, what kind of intentions they have, without hardly even interacting with that person. My fiance also takes it one step further and is able to sense how someone is feeling and is also easily able to tell if they're lying or not.

I thought this would be a hardcore intuitive thing, but apparently it's not. Can anyone explain this? SJ's, do you have the same ability?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I feel I'm pretty good at this as well. It's just analyzing a person - from their speech, their demeanor, attitude etc. It says a lot.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Maybe they are, but sometimes the paranoia and suspician causes them to completely misread a person, since they are only using surface triggers to make the assessment.

My isfj friend does have an uncanny ability to read people, yet often her glass half empty assumptions about people mean that she could be wrong, but won't ever allow herself to find that out because of the snap judgements.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I thought this would be a hardcore intuitive thing, but apparently it's not. Can anyone explain this? SJ's, do you have the same ability?

It's different for Ss it seems. They do seem to read me, but... it's different. Like, my ISFJ boyfriend notices when I am off, but it is only because I let him notice it with my physical behavior. It is an extremely subtle physical change, but it wasn't like "in the air" as it is with Ns who pick up on me acting differently. I find that I have to try harder to hide it from Ns than from Ss.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Since we're grounded in the present, we are more aware of what's right in front of us.

I think most Ss have this ability.

I tend to think the worst- which is not good. But most times instead of assuming, I like to confirm that my understanding is right, especially with my girlfriend, so that I don't cause any unnecessary friction. If I don't get that opportunity to reconcile, or it will never present itself, I'll usually conclude the worst.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's different for Ss it seems. They do seem to read me, but... it's different. Like, my ISFJ boyfriend notices when I am off, but it is only because I let him notice it with my physical behavior. It is an extremely subtle physical change, but it wasn't like "in the air" as it is with Ns who pick up on me acting differently. I find that I have to try harder to hide it from Ns than from Ss.

We pick it up before you realize that we are even paying attention :) Once people realize you are looking at them there demeanor changes.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
We pick it up before you realize that we are even paying attention :) Once people realize you are looking at them there demeanor changes.

That's quite possible. I guess my point is that it seems to be based on what you see, more than what you sense.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Uh huh. :yes:

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Well, I think I have a good ability to type people from photos, thanks to my Si. But sometimes I'm totally lost when people send "hidden messages". I have totally no idea of people's agendas. But I can see their personality from their clothing, facial expressions, the way the speak and move, etc.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Yes this is true. But the lie detecting does not always work.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I love reading people IRL, harder online. I watch what is said, how its said, the tone, the body language, all of it. I sense when something is up, you can't hide it from me. The lying bit i do struggle with esp if you keep the eye contact and the body language flowing even though everything inside of me tells me you are lying, too trusting.

Being an easy person to approach as i'll listen and help anyone, people have reeled off stuff about other people to me. Just need to ask the right questions and you get a pretty good idea of whats going on in their heads. To date, been pretty much spot on. :)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really don't think I do, not with people I'm meeting for the first time, anyway. I'm kind of naive in this area.

I can notice when someone is getting uncomfortable, while people seem to be overlooking it. That may be me putting myself in the person's shoes more than "picking up signals".

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
What an interesting topic, SubjectA! I never thought of it in this way. It would make sense that a sensor's ability to take in detail and pay attention to physical surroundings without getting sidetracked with a head full of abstractions would allow for better observation of physical traits and behaviour. Can you imagine what a spidey-sense team for reading people we could make if we could combine the read between the lines abilities of the N with the ability to see what's in front them Ss?

I have read about the similarities between ENTP/ESTPs and yet their subtle differences and emphasis in interest make them a good team to work together. I wonder if pairings like ESTJ/ENTJ, ISTJ/INTJ, ESFJ/ENFJ, or ISFJ/INFJ could work together well in terms of reading people.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'll tell you what, I am awful... AWFUL... at reading people. Things have to be clear and spoken out for me to understand them lol. This is why I can be indiscreet at times. Otherwise, it drains the hell out of me to try and read people.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^^^ I agree.

I dunno about anyone else, but I think my Sensing actually hinders me, with regards to reading people. It makes me take people at face value, which is a bad idea, because not everyone is honest. It sucks to think that someone is nice, and a potential friend, only to realize that they're, e.g, using you, or lying compulsively. Also, if someone gets upset at you because you didn't realize that they were feeling a certain way, even though they were disguising their feelings. Every NF I've ever met has been able to read those cues in other people, and many NTs as well (especially NT women), but not me - not in a million years!

If everyone could be judged at face value, though, I would be EXCELLENT at reading people.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I have read about the similarities between ENTP/ESTPs and yet their subtle differences and emphasis in interest make them a good team to work together. I wonder if pairings like ESTJ/ENTJ, ISTJ/INTJ, ESFJ/ENFJ, or ISFJ/INFJ could work together well in terms of reading people.

My ISTJ and I do pretty well at taking in information between the two of us. I'm such a space case, but I can count on her to remember obvious things about people and situations and I can extrapolate that information as I see fit. We usually come to pretty similar conclusions about other people's behavior (other people probably think we're the duo of judgement).

I think that SFs can be very good at picking up cues from body language and tone of voice. SFPs seem to do this instantaneously, but SFJs have a better grasp on the long-term effects of a person's current emotional/mental state based on current behavioral cues. In other words, SFJs keep it in mind whereas SFPs will move on to the next thing.

Sam Spade

MBTI Type
ISTj
I've been told that I'm good at reading people as long as I'm not infatuated with them.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
^^^ I agree.

I dunno about anyone else, but I think my Sensing actually hinders me, with regards to reading people. It makes me take people at face value, which is a bad idea, because not everyone is honest. It sucks to think that someone is nice, and a potential friend, only to realize that they're, e.g, using you, or lying compulsively. Also, if someone gets upset at you because you didn't realize that they were feeling a certain way, even though they were disguising their feelings. Every NF I've ever met has been able to read those cues in other people, and many NTs as well (especially NT women), but not me - not in a million years!

If everyone could be judged at face value, though, I would be EXCELLENT at reading people.

Yup. Actually that's what has driven me to why not readily trust people. It usually takes a little while to earn my trust.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm, I never knew that. You don't readily trust them because you can't read them, or because they are deliberately hiding their true feelings? It looks like there is a split in reading people developing between the STJs and the SFJs.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Hmm, I never knew that. You don't readily trust them because you can't read them, or because they are deliberately hiding their true feelings? It looks like there is a split in reading people developing between the STJs and the SFJs.

It's because I can't read clearly. I'm not sure what they're deliberately hiding, because frankly I don't know. I've learned you really can't trust a person too closely, and to take things with a grain of salt.