User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

I love reading people IRL, harder online. I watch what is said, how its said, the tone, the body language, all of it. I sense when something is up, you can't hide it from me. The lying bit i do struggle with esp if you keep the eye contact and the body language flowing even though everything inside of me tells me you are lying, too trusting.

Being an easy person to approach as i'll listen and help anyone, people have reeled off stuff about other people to me. Just need to ask the right questions and you get a pretty good idea of whats going on in their heads. To date, been pretty much spot on.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I really don't think I do, not with people I'm meeting for the first time, anyway. I'm kind of naive in this area.

I can notice when someone is getting uncomfortable, while people seem to be overlooking it. That may be me putting myself in the person's shoes more than "picking up signals".
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

What an interesting topic, SubjectA! I never thought of it in this way. It would make sense that a sensor's ability to take in detail and pay attention to physical surroundings without getting sidetracked with a head full of abstractions would allow for better observation of physical traits and behaviour. Can you imagine what a spidey-sense team for reading people we could make if we could combine the read between the lines abilities of the N with the ability to see what's in front them Ss?

I have read about the similarities between ENTP/ESTPs and yet their subtle differences and emphasis in interest make them a good team to work together. I wonder if pairings like ESTJ/ENTJ, ISTJ/INTJ, ESFJ/ENFJ, or ISFJ/INFJ could work together well in terms of reading people.

MBTI
    I

I'll tell you what, I am awful... AWFUL... at reading people. Things have to be clear and spoken out for me to understand them lol. This is why I can be indiscreet at times. Otherwise, it drains the hell out of me to try and read people.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^^^ I agree.

I dunno about anyone else, but I think my Sensing actually hinders me, with regards to reading people. It makes me take people at face value, which is a bad idea, because not everyone is honest. It sucks to think that someone is nice, and a potential friend, only to realize that they're, e.g, using you, or lying compulsively. Also, if someone gets upset at you because you didn't realize that they were feeling a certain way, even though they were disguising their feelings. Every NF I've ever met has been able to read those cues in other people, and many NTs as well (especially NT women), but not me - not in a million years!

If everyone could be judged at face value, though, I would be EXCELLENT at reading people.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I have read about the similarities between ENTP/ESTPs and yet their subtle differences and emphasis in interest make them a good team to work together. I wonder if pairings like ESTJ/ENTJ, ISTJ/INTJ, ESFJ/ENFJ, or ISFJ/INFJ could work together well in terms of reading people.
    My ISTJ and I do pretty well at taking in information between the two of us. I'm such a space case, but I can count on her to remember obvious things about people and situations and I can extrapolate that information as I see fit. We usually come to pretty similar conclusions about other people's behavior (other people probably think we're the duo of judgement).

I think that SFs can be very good at picking up cues from body language and tone of voice. SFPs seem to do this instantaneously, but SFJs have a better grasp on the long-term effects of a person's current emotional/mental state based on current behavioral cues. In other words, SFJs keep it in mind whereas SFPs will move on to the next thing.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ISTj

I've been told that I'm good at reading people as long as I'm not infatuated with them.
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. It wasn't a game for knights."

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    ^^^ I agree.

I dunno about anyone else, but I think my Sensing actually hinders me, with regards to reading people. It makes me take people at face value, which is a bad idea, because not everyone is honest. It sucks to think that someone is nice, and a potential friend, only to realize that they're, e.g, using you, or lying compulsively. Also, if someone gets upset at you because you didn't realize that they were feeling a certain way, even though they were disguising their feelings. Every NF I've ever met has been able to read those cues in other people, and many NTs as well (especially NT women), but not me - not in a million years!

If everyone could be judged at face value, though, I would be EXCELLENT at reading people.
    Yup. Actually that's what has driven me to why not readily trust people. It usually takes a little while to earn my trust.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Hmm, I never knew that. You don't readily trust them because you can't read them, or because they are deliberately hiding their true feelings? It looks like there is a split in reading people developing between the STJs and the SFJs.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Hmm, I never knew that. You don't readily trust them because you can't read them, or because they are deliberately hiding their true feelings? It looks like there is a split in reading people developing between the STJs and the SFJs.
    It's because I can't read clearly. I'm not sure what they're deliberately hiding, because frankly I don't know. I've learned you really can't trust a person too closely, and to take things with a grain of salt.