User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 34

  1. #21
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,129

    Default

    StormySunshine, I very much identify with what you said, both about wanting to be understood as well as trying not to cry in front of an SJ because it creates more problems. I also remember my Dad saying when I was young and a kid was either sad or upset or mad, "Get happy!" in a decidedly unhappy tone. What he didn't understand is that his response provokes more emotions that further delay getting happy and that also just wiping away the natural response does not mean that the feelings have disappeared immediately as well. Like you said, usually gentleness, or listening and some show of love like a hug would diffuse the situation. I think the problem is that tears evoke a sense of panic in SJs at not being sure they will know how to handle the situation, and they also tend to take them as a personal, intentional insult, rather than as an involuntary response. One thing I've found SJs also assume is that tears are being used to manipulate them, which with NFs is seldom the case.

    The reply from Saslou is interesting because it is also typical of how many of the exchanges between me and my boyfriend went. Because of us communicating so differently, we had a real problem. On the one hand I knew that being myself in front of him would bring about more unresolved conflict and frustration to him, which would end up in apologies from me, as well as lasting resentment and frustration, then ignoring/forgetting from him till there was a highly stacked pile of dynamite. On the other hand, I really wanted him to know me completely be authentic in front of him. I tried choking the stuff down that really bothered me, but that just meant that there were less and less areas topics of conversation that were open. By then end, we were down to things like the weather and what we were going to eat.

    He was competent, smart, responsible, showed love through doing things for me etc. and I recognized and appreciated that. However, at the end of it all, we could not overcome the communication barrier.

    My mum and dad also suffer from this problem. She's a tough lady and she also cares the world about their relationship. She cries infrequently, but when she does, he can walk away and ignore it and never mention it again. Areas of conflict are never voluntarily addressed and when they are, they are not resolved. And then they are completely forgotten (he literally doesn't remember they happened) while she remembers them vividly. I think it is because he is not sure what to do and also that he involuntarily deflects thinking about it because it evokes vulnerable feelings. However, it's interpreted as a lack of interest or care.

    Thanks Saslou for helping develop this discussion and add to seeing where the differences in perspectives lie.

  2. #22
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    My mum and dad also suffer from this problem. She's a tough lady and she also cares the world about their relationship. She cries infrequently, but when she does, he can walk away and ignore it and never mention it again. Areas of conflict are never voluntarily addressed and when they are, they are not resolved. And then they are completely forgotten (he literally doesn't remember they happened) while she remembers them vividly. I think it is because he is not sure what to do and also that he involuntarily deflects thinking about it because it evokes vulnerable feelings. However, it's interpreted as a lack of interest or care.

    .
    isn't this just so common for our parents' genre? yet they find a way to stay married through it all.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  3. #23
    half-nut member briochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    isn't this just so common for our parents' genre? yet they find a way to stay married through it all.
    lol, yup
    -Brio

    "I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt
    ___________________

  4. #24
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post

    Traditionally I have problems with SJs, especially ESJs, who seem to have a knee jerk response of hating me.

    Saslou: thank you for your input. It's always interesting (if not at times a bit personally upsetting) to get such a different perspective from my own.
    OK, my heart strings have been pulled at. I don't hate anybody, i don't have that bone in my body. This i find is the problem with the internet, i am unable to attach feelings, unable to see body language, hear your tone of voice so i can only guess what is being said and how it is being said.
    I don't think people hate you, just maybe different communication styles.
    When life beats the shit out of you, you have to stay strong and one step ahead of the game. The weak get trampled on, i can't get trampled on. That is why i have the tough exterior (i can't speak for other ESJ's)
    Luckily, there are a few that get to see the softer side.


    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    StormySunshine, I very much identify with what you said, both about wanting to be understood as well as trying not to cry in front of an SJ because it creates more problems. I also remember my Dad saying when I was young and a kid was either sad or upset or mad, "Get happy!" in a decidedly unhappy tone. What he didn't understand is that his response provokes more emotions that further delay getting happy and that also just wiping away the natural response does not mean that the feelings have disappeared immediately as well. Like you said, usually gentleness, or listening and some show of love like a hug would diffuse the situation. I think the problem is that tears evoke a sense of panic in SJs at not being sure they will know how to handle the situation, and they also tend to take them as a personal, intentional insult, rather than as an involuntary response. One thing I've found SJs also assume is that tears are being used to manipulate them, which with NFs is seldom the case.

    Thanks Saslou for helping develop this discussion and add to seeing where the differences in perspectives lie.
    Tears are not good, I never want to see anyone upset. I see that as a problem that must be fixed. It is hard to fix a problem though when we have such a personal investment in it. Manipulation, we're known as door mats for a reason, we take an awful lot. In my case, you become jaded after awhile so the tears don't work (how awful eh?). Where are all the honest people in the world?
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

  5. #25
    half-nut member briochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    OK, my heart strings have been pulled at. I don't hate anybody, i don't have that bone in my body. This i find is the problem with the internet, i am unable to attach feelings, unable to see body language, hear your tone of voice so i can only guess what is being said and how it is being said.
    I don't think people hate you, just maybe different communication styles.
    When life beats the shit out of you, you have to stay strong and one step ahead of the game. The weak get trampled on, i can't get trampled on. That is why i have the tough exterior (i can't speak for other ESJ's)
    Luckily, there are a few that get to see the softer side.
    Hmm, I didn't mean to pull at your heart strings, but I'm not going to complain if I did. I was actually thinking of some others, and an ESTJ specifically, from this last year. She was particularly cruel to me. But, such is life sometimes. Her old students liked me better so I was content.


    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Tears are not good, I never want to see anyone upset. I see that as a problem that must be fixed. It is hard to fix a problem though when we have such a personal investment in it. Manipulation, we're known as door mats for a reason, we take an awful lot. In my case, you become jaded after awhile so the tears don't work (how awful eh?). Where are all the honest people in the world?
    Really, you feel that way about tears? I didn't know that. I feel quite differently. I see them in most cases as a personal expression of an intense emotion that should be left to the person feeling the feeling and not made a big deal of. My father also used to not let me cry, so now I feel everyone should get to cry. I think you'll find many honest people who are Ns, but the ironic thing is that our honesty can be seen as manipulative plays. On another note the Ns (if they become bitter or sadistic or jaded or dysfunctional) can be *the* most manipulative.
    -Brio

    "I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt
    ___________________

  6. #26
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,129

    Default

    Saslou, do you prefer people to pretend they don't feel sad, or how in your eyes should they best deal with it? Is there any way to detach enough and realize that it is more an expression of them, than a request or demand toward you to fix things? I do not cry easily, and I sure don't like doing it in front of people, and I particularly do not like to do it in front of people that hate it. However, there are moments of extreme emotion that are very difficult to hide it without hiding most of who I am. If I can't be honest about things like that (as long as it is extreme cases only and not a manipulative habit), then I also have to wall of many other aspects of who I am towards the person. This will almost kill me. In a relationship, you can imagine how bad the outcome is. Either the SJ is with a resentful and distant person, or else they have to learn to not take the emotion expressed or a problem discussed as a personal insult. Neither is pleasant for the SJ and yet, I still see many SJs going for relationship with NFs. Also, where does this deep suspicion of manipulation stem from? All of the SJ types I have talked to about this have expressed that tears are nearly always used as a form of manipulation. Sometimes, this really is not an accurate assumption to make! What should be done?

    Are there any circumstances under which you cry? What causes it? Do you feel uncomfortable with it? If so, what is the fear that it brings up? I'd just like to have a better understanding of this. Thanks for being willing to share!

  7. #27
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Although the accounting and analytical..ness sounds Tish, I have to say that the throwing fits, the poutiness, the overreactions, etc. Sounds more like an unhealthy ISFJ than an ISTJ. I know someone who is very similar to this, and she's ISFJ as far as I know. That's my take on it.
    Yes, I agree. I know a female ISTJ (a close relative) and she can have pretty thin skin with me but she's more apt to be snappish than hand wringing. More likely to play the "I do so much and no one appreciates me."

    Plus there's the of one doesn't know what her limits are until one crosses them and once crossed, there's no reaching her for a time, I just back off and make a mental note about where that emotional mine was. For this reason, I find female T's so much harder to reason with when they have hurt feelings than F's with hurt feelings. At least the F will admit to being upset or hurt and it can be talked about openly.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    Hmm, I didn't mean to pull at your heart strings, but I'm not going to complain if I did. I was actually thinking of some others, and an ESTJ specifically, from this last year. She was particularly cruel to me. But, such is life sometimes. Her old students liked me better so I was content.

    Really, you feel that way about tears? I didn't know that. I feel quite differently. I see them in most cases as a personal expression of an intense emotion that should be left to the person feeling the feeling and not made a big deal of. My father also used to not let me cry, so now I feel everyone should get to cry. I think you'll find many honest people who are Ns, but the ironic thing is that our honesty can be seen as manipulative plays. On another note the Ns (if they become bitter or sadistic or jaded or dysfunctional) can be *the* most manipulative.
    People are cruel sometimes. I think it is just easier to write it off then allow it to get to you. Noone should have that kind of power over you.
    Do you ever feel or think you are out of place, like you don't belong in this time frame? I know the saying goes 'what doesn't kill you, makes you strong', but don't you just wish you could live a harmonious life where people were genuine and honest?
    (i apologise, i am derailing as i am skimming the surface only)
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

  9. #29
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Saslou, do you prefer people to pretend they don't feel sad, or how in your eyes should they best deal with it? Is there any way to detach enough and realize that it is more an expression of them, than a request or demand toward you to fix things? I do not cry easily, and I sure don't like doing it in front of people, and I particularly do not like to do it in front of people that hate it. However, there are moments of extreme emotion that are very difficult to hide it without hiding most of who I am. If I can't be honest about things like that (as long as it is extreme cases only and not a manipulative habit), then I also have to wall of many other aspects of who I am towards the person. This will almost kill me. In a relationship, you can imagine how bad the outcome is. Either the SJ is with a resentful and distant person, or else they have to learn to not take the emotion expressed or a problem discussed as a personal insult. Neither is pleasant for the SJ and yet, I still see many SJs going for relationship with NFs. Also, where does this deep suspicion of manipulation stem from? All of the SJ types I have talked to about this have expressed that tears are nearly always used as a form of manipulation. Sometimes, this really is not an accurate assumption to make! What should be done?

    Are there any circumstances under which you cry? What causes it? Do you feel uncomfortable with it? If so, what is the fear that it brings up? I'd just like to have a better understanding of this. Thanks for being willing to share!
    People have the right to 'feel' sad and even cry but if i can't fix the problem then i have failed as i don't want to see anyone sad. Is it possibly a flaw in my personality? Maybe. I think in relationships, feelings take over logic thus nothing really gets sorted esp during heated arguments. I was the same in that i wouldn't cry infront of people. My children now see me cry and i am trying very hard not to see it as a weakness. As you said, its just a reaction to a strong emotion. I can use logic to rationalise it.
    Speaking in PM's and on here, you know where my problems stem from. To an extent, its like my views are not my own, almost brainwashing yet i am unsure which views are mine and which belong to that person.

    What should be done? I honestly don't know. We are sensitive souls (just watch a butterfly someday interact with its environment). I don't know many people who haven't manipulated me for their advantage yet i still do it. It's a scary thought. I am a fucking strong individual, yet i allow people to play me.

    I was thinking the other day (the lightbulb turned on) that i must assess situations where i am trying to be considerate, helpful, understanding and compassionate. What are the chances of me being hurt by being there for the other person in their time of need. I told myself, this is something i really need to do. Then a book came through the post that i ordered. The 16 personality tyes, description for self discovery. I read about me and felt so deflated. I can't do the above even though it makes logic perfect sense as i then go against what i am. I can't change my personality.

    This is a snippet-
    Theme is providing, ensuring that physical needs are met. Talents lie in supporting others and supplying them with what they need. Genuinely conerned about the welfare of others, making sure they are comfortable and involved. Warm, considerate, thoughful, friendly. Want to please and maintain harmonious relationships. Thrive on helping others and bringing people together.

    So as much as this typing helps me find my strengths and weaknesses. I can't at the moment be content with who i am. Unless i find people to be in my life that are willing to support me as much as i support them. Thats not fair either. Arrghhh.

    So to answer some of your questions.
    Are there any circumstances under which you cry?
    I only usually cry in relationships.

    What causes it?
    When i know i can't cope anymore or fix something. My body has to release the tension.

    Do you feel uncomfortable with it?
    Being told they were crocodile tears and not being shown the support to my emotional state.

    what is the fear that it brings up?
    Fear, failure, weakness, not having the control over my feelings.
    Book called 'Women who love to much' Robin Norwood.
    Me to a T.

    I am going for a well earned cigarette now i have disected my soul.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

  10. #30
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    OK .. Question for Briochick and Fidelia.

    Your personality principles are similiar to mine.

    INFJ - Use their insights to deal with complexity in issues and people. Talents lie in delevoping and guiding people. Trust their inspirations and visions, using them to help others. Thrive on helping others resolve deep personal and ethical dilemmas.

    INFP - Talents lie in helping people clarify issues, values and identity. Support anything that allows the unfolding of the person. Loyal advocates and champions, caring deeply about their causes and a few special people.


    So how easy is it for you to be manipulated by others? You seem very sensitive yourselves so how are you able to stop people playing you?
    Do you view the above as a strength or weakness? Do people (friends and partners) gain from your postive abilities then just leave when they believe what you say?

    Elaborate if you choose.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] How did you come to type yourself as an SJ?
    By agentwashington in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-05-2017, 10:47 AM
  2. [INFP] How to navigate an SJ world as an INFP
    By SpankyMcFly in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-13-2017, 08:09 AM
  3. [SJ] If you had to be an SJ, which type would you be and why?
    By Moiety in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 08:59 PM
  4. [MBTItm] How to present the MBTI to an SJ
    By Lemonade in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM
  5. [SJ] how to mess with an SJ's head
    By nozflubber in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 01:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO