Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Cosmo

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I don't care what book it is, as long as it gets them reading.

They could start with sensor friendly books and ones with lots of pictures, like the Guinness Book of World Records or The Big Book of Freaks.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Hmm...ajblaise and shortnsweet, I haven't heard of any of those. :rolli:

The Dress Lodger by Sheri Holman- historically detailed but also modernly relevant commentary on class and scientific progress
    Rosencrantz and Guidenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (does this count?)- the only high school English characters I could ever relate to. This is probably a sad reflection upon me seeing how they're characterized and such

ST:
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Doevstoevsky
    The Sands of the Kalahari by William Mulvihill
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka- been a long time since I read this one, but I think it sort of plays with the fear of being an alien machine in the world

SF:
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli- covers big issues in a small way

SJ:
    Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: I think the detailedness in describing the town population and the focus on ideas of personal responsibility and duty would be especially appealing.
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM by Robert C. O'Brien: This was mentioned on the NF thread as well, but I kind of think of Mrs. Frisby sentimentially as a very ISFJ heroine.

SP:
    About a Boy by Nick Hornby
    Alanna series by Tamora Pierce: Another NF thread mention. I just felt Alanna was a quintessential admirable ES_P (proactive! determined! yay) Alanna taught me being an unapologetically assertive, strong, and sexy woman was a-ok.

IS:
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

STJ:
    Sherlock Holmes novels: I just know these would be perfect for my STJ friends. Logical and clever and... solvable.

This exercise is a lot harder than I thought it would be, especially attempting to think out why I think so.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

American Top 40: The Countdown of the Century by Rob Durkee
    The Simpsons - Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family (Volumes 1-4) by Matt Groening
    And Nobody Got Hurt!: The World's Weirdest, Wackiest True Sports Stories by Len Berman and Kent Gamble
    Ride 'Em Cowgirl! Sex Position Secrets For Better Bucking by Dr. Sadie Allison and Steve Lee
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I'm having a hard time with this one. It seems like Sensors have very diverse literary tastes. I'll list the favorite books of some of my Sensor friends, based on type:

ESFP: Pride and Prejudice, Fight Club, The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby
    ISFP: The Real Frank Zappa Book, Brave New World, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol, One Hundred Years of Solitude
    ISFJ: Pride and Prejudice, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the Harry Potter books, Persepolis
    ESFJ: Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz
    ISTJ: Sabriel, the Harry Potter books
    ESTJ (cough ME cough): The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the Harry Potter books, any/all Sherlock Holmes stories, Blankets (the graphic novel), Good Omens

I could also see STPs liking Fight Club... but not SJs.

I think if you had to generalize, and give one particular book that all Sensors had to read, it would probably be a nonfiction book - perhaps a biography? Maybe... "Fun Home", by Alison Bechdel. Perhaps "Long Walk to Freedom" by Nelson Mandela. Or maybe something funny, like "America: The Book". I dunno.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

I like alot of Haruki Murakami's stuff... like Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End Of The World, and The Wind Up Bird Chronicle. His stuff has alot of fantasy and stuff your mind can chew on. [:

Also, I used to be in love with Neil Gaiman's work... like Coraline and Stardust. The books are so much better than the movies, in my opinion. Neverwhere is another good book of his.

The Rising and it's part two, City Of The Dead by Briane Keene are awesome zombie books. I higgghhly reccomend it to any gore hound/zombie fan.

The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly is another good read.. I love it because they effed up and twisted so many children's fairytales... like Little Red Riding Hood.

I'm also a fan of the Harry Potter series, haha. ;D

Echo by Francesca Lia is another good book. Very dark and beautifully written. Poetic in a way.

Ionno, I like reading alot. I also had this habit of collecting encyclopedias and books on birds when I was younger because I was so fascinated by them. Haha. I'm a big fan of horror and fantasy. Esp. fiction. I grew up reading alot of fairytale books... heehee.
    4w5.

"We trust the local doctor, we trust the medicine.
    Our child gets a scratch, we get our child a brand new head.
    We eat what's on our plate, we drink what's in our cup...
    We like the shiny TV screen, it spits, we lap it up...
    They sing a song, we hum along.
    We sing; but we don't understand the words to the song."
    -- High As A Horse

Hm. I'm a little rusty on my reading but I do still think I love books on the rare occasions I stick one out. I don't think they are must reads but I found them interestingly none the less. Note: Most of them are childrens books. ^^

Marianne Dreams - I haven't read this in a long time but I loved this as a child, it's one of the books that I still remember.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Interesting story about some autistic child and how he views things, travelling around to solve this mystery.

The little prince - Sure most people have heard of this book.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm having a hard time with this one. It seems like Sensors have very diverse literary tastes. I'll list the favorite books of some of my Sensor friends, based on type:

ESFP: Pride and Prejudice, Fight Club, The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby
    ISFP: The Real Frank Zappa Book, Brave New World, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol, One Hundred Years of Solitude
    ISFJ: Pride and Prejudice, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the Harry Potter books, Persepolis
    ESFJ: Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz
    ISTJ: Sabriel, the Harry Potter books
    ESTJ (cough ME cough): The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the Harry Potter books, any/all Sherlock Holmes stories, Blankets (the graphic novel), Good Omens

I could also see STPs liking Fight Club... but not SJs.

I think if you had to generalize, and give one particular book that all Sensors had to read, it would probably be a nonfiction book - perhaps a biography? Maybe... "Fun Home", by Alison Bechdel. Perhaps "Long Walk to Freedom" by Nelson Mandela. Or maybe something funny, like "America: The Book". I dunno.
    Ha! I got Sherlock Holmes right!

Well of course everyone has variety of tastes that have nothing to do with type... which makes me sort of wonder what criteria was being used in the NF and NT threads, but *shrug*... I tried to think of what sort of thematic issues which might have special resonance with certain types, or of characters which would really reflect the experience of a certain type really well. And I tried really hard not to just list my favorite books, but that's sort of counter-intuitive, isn't it? Why shouldn't a list of favorites fulfill the topic in the most direct way? (I overthink.)

Ha, EJCC, you make me miss my STJ friends a lot! They love that sort of clever dry humor like Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. My ESTJ friend in particular loves anything with puns and anything with science. And my ISTJ friend loves anything surprisingly random. (I think I prefer stuff with more emotional manipulation though, I'm not afraid to admit it!)

I can't believe I didn't think of The Great Gatsby . That's a totally S book! The moment and the fashion and the materialism and the clash of characters, it's a very alive novel.

I love Brave New World and Fight Club, though it's been a long time since I've read either. I think Fight Club is meant to appeal to everyone... but I also think the narrator is an ISFJ (maybe an ISTJ?) so I don't think there's any reason SJs shouldn't like it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Does everyone love Harry Potter except me?

Quote Originally Posted by bananafish View Post
    Also, I used to be in love with Neil Gaiman's work... like Coraline and Stardust. The books are so much better than the movies, in my opinion. Neverwhere is another good book of his.

Echo by Francesca Lia is another good book. Very dark and beautifully written. Poetic in a way.

Ionno, I like reading alot. I also had this habit of collecting encyclopedias and books on birds when I was younger because I was so fascinated by them. Haha. I'm a big fan of horror and fantasy. Esp. fiction. I grew up reading alot of fairytale books... heehee.
    I *love* Francesca Lia Block! Stylistic she really rides the line well between poetry and prose, I think- being able to call up such a strong sensory impression using very few details and an "aura" of the situation in the flow of her words. A real fantasy, so to speak. It's been a really long time since I read Echo, but I have read her Weetzie Bat series more recently (I think Witch Baby is my favorite book of hers).

( I only got about halfway through Stardust.)

I was pretty much a fantasy whore as a kid. I don't know, I think it's a genre that is often uplifting and focused on... accomplishment and positive people and stuff! (The people usually suceed! They are usually emotionally healthy! They often find a group which they can identify with, if not several! They have successful romantic entanglements! They become good at something and exercise this skill!)

I also liked to escape, I think. And I found the relationships more relatable (I guess to ground the fantastical elements, you have to have something very recognizable in the interpersonal stuff?).

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Hm. I'm a little rusty on my reading but I do still think I love books on the rare occasions I stick one out. I don't think they are must reads but I found them interestingly none the less. Note: Most of them are childrens books. ^^

Marianne Dreams - I haven't read this in a long time but I loved this as a child, it's one of the books that I still remember.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Interesting story about some autistic child and how he views things, travelling around to solve this mystery.

The little prince - Sure most people have heard of this book.
    I love children's books. I think good ones are more often direct rather than contrived, as I feel a lot of adult novels are. Where is the universality? My favorite author is Diana Wynne Jones and she often says that she writes for children because...(paraphrased, cause I'm lazy to look it up) they understand the systems/how things work sort of immediately in context rather... they're not simple, just different- adults more often need explanations for things.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is another one of my favorite books, Kai. Very affecting and relatable (even though I've never been autistic, I don't think).

Y'all make me jealous I don't read more. I'll definitely be checking some of the books you all have mentioned.