User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    What would be a post-modernist anti-novel, exactly? Haven't heard of those. (I once read a story about a man in a box where a lot of the "action" was imaginary dreaming of possibilities, would that count?)
    I was thinking of something like what Italo Calvino or John Barth write. Anything that's all about intertexuality or authorial intentions, or anything but telling a good story with good characters. Errr .... I know it when I read it. Maybe a helpful NF English major could explain better?

But postmodernism is a term that's applied pretty liberally, and there are subgenres like magical realism and historical metafiction ("Ragtime", "Mason & Dixon") that I do like and that I can see other SPs liking as well.

I think if I ever use terms like "intertexuality" again, I'm going to get my SP license revoked, so I better stop here.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Another thought: My ISFP friend LOVES "A Clockwork Orange". And I enjoy "Iron and Silk", most Neil Gaiman books, and "Macbeth". "Twelfth Night" is great too - I love Shakespeare's puns!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

I was just about to mention To Kill a Mockingbird. I love fiction that shows the charm of every day life and reality. I also love Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. I'm another fan of children's books. Most books by Eleanor Estes make me happy.

I love books that are visually stimulating. I can spend hours with an I Spy book. I like photography books in general. I guess these don't really count as "reading" books, but oh well.

Like saslou, when I do read, it's often self-help books.
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wrldisquiethere View Post

Like saslou, when I do read, it's often self-help books.
    Lmao .. Careful darling, might give the impression that we ESFJ's need help.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Thank you for making this thread, Colors! I've been looking for books to read, esp fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Thank you for making this thread, Colors! I've been looking for books to read, esp fiction.
    If you're looking for books to read try my good friend The Book Seer

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    If you're looking for books to read try my good friend The Book Seer

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Lmao .. Careful darling, might give the impression that we ESFJ's need help.
    Nah, they all know better than that.
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    "Twelfth Night" is great too - I love Shakespeare's puns!
    I haven't read (or enjoyed) a lot of Shakespeare, but "Twelfth Night" is definitely my favorite of the ones I've read. It's sprightly, and I think the wacky humor is still somewhat grounded by the characters (and their motivations/feelings). I do wonder about the ending though (I mean there are going to be some *awkward* family dinners in the future), but I guess that sort of tidy ending is to be expected. (Except for poor Antonio. And perhaps Malvolio.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    The Stranger, by Albert Camus. the main character is an ISTP. i think it would appeal to S's, but it also gives some insight into ISTPs.
    What about Meursault did you relate to/ consider relating to ISTPs?

(I read this in an English class, and I admit I really didn't get "it".)

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I like books where most of the action is ACTION, and not just emotional tumult in the heads of the characters.
    Yes! I think emotional tumult can be important action, but it also needs to tie into cause and effect in a meaningful way. I especially hate it when emotional tumult substitutes logical action or plot development... or when emotional state (of an individual) becomes actual physical presence. (Jane Eyre, Frankenstein -yeah, I'm not an English Romanticism fan-, Heart of Darkness come to mind.) If an emotion is so important, it should *show* in how people act- I don't want to hear about people feeling oppressive dread all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I was thinking of something like what Italo Calvino or John Barth write. Anything that's all about intertexuality or authorial intentions, or anything but telling a good story with good characters. Errr .... I know it when I read it. Maybe a helpful NF English major could explain better?

But postmodernism is a term that's applied pretty liberally, and there are subgenres like magical realism and historical metafiction ("Ragtime", "Mason & Dixon") that I do like and that I can see other SPs liking as well.

I think if I ever use terms like "intertexuality" again, I'm going to get my SP license revoked, so I better stop here.
    Thanks for clarifying... I think... (Reading the amazon descriptions of those books makes it hard to imagine anyone liking reading something like that except for the strange/different appeal. But different strokes for different folks.) I like magical realism, but all the ones I've read seem to end tragically. I like happy endings, or at the very least, proactive ones.
    Last edited by Colors; 08-06-2009 at 12:42 PM.