First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Guess what?

In the real world, life is about BULLET POINTS.

I've NEVER been asked to write a novel by anyone who has paid me money to do productive work.

All that aside, I'm busy. Here's what I read:

(1) Anything that provides me with information about a given endeavor that I Want/Need/Have to do.

(2) Anything that provides me with information that I feel will allow me to make MONEY.

(3) Magazines on occasion so as to keep "current with " (more like connected to) the world that's been eating my dust for the past 15 years that I've been full on ESTP me.

(4) Newspapers to ID local scandals and of course the classified ads in case someone is selling shit I want.

That is all.

Continue.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I think that's why I'm not often drawn to nonfiction books, Halla74. I just often think there's a more efficient (aka FAST) way to get at the information than in thick volume form. Of course, that is, if you know exactly what you're looking for and where to find it.

Nonfiction books are great for general knowledge- being introduced to a new realm and getting a consistent framework/vision of this part of the world. Or hearing about an opinion/interpretation in greater detail.

My favorite books that I haven't mentioned yet:

Diana Wynne Jones (umm, pretty much everything she's ever written, ever, but in particular Dark Lord of Derkholm, Hexwood, Witch Week, and The Spellcoats)- Everything she writes is just so alive and real and funny, and her worlds are always fleshed out. And hectic and her last-minute game-changers almost always drive me crazy with how much I didn't see that coming even though I should have.

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip- Sybil, another crazy strong, independent woman. Who's true to her feelings (except when she can't figure them out) and learns how to live in the world of people. (Probably an INTj?)

Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara- buys into my love of mythology- this one's based on Japanese mythology (some Shintoism and some Buddhism)

A Fabulous Creature by Zilpha Keatley Snyder- discovering nature as one of my favorite themes again

Shizuko's Daughter by Kyoko Mori- Ah, the sick tangles we call family. I admit I'm into some weepy books, speaking of which...

Briar Rose by Jane Yolen- I'm a sucker for fairy tale retellings
    & Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire

I think I'm starting to see a general S pattern emerge from the woodwork but I'll save my opinions until more forum members weigh in. So weigh in people! Even if it is to say you don't read. Or even if you're an N.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I think that's why I'm not often drawn to nonfiction books, Halla74. I just often think there's a more efficient (aka FAST) way to get at the information than in thick volume form. Of course, that is, if you know exactly what you're looking for and where to find it.

Nonfiction books are great for general knowledge- being introduced to a new realm and getting a consistent framework/vision of this part of the world. Or hearing about an opinion/interpretation in greater detail.
    Agreed. I have basically written off fiction. If I read anything I am going through "The Harvard Classics" (a "five foot shelf of books" that purportedly give one a well rounded liberal education if they are all read) a few passages at a time. Even I am not so bold as to say that Socrates, Voltaire, and other great minds have nothing to offer mine. My Dad gave me these books a few years ago and their old school leather binding feels nice in my hands. Plus, I need any help I can get as far as refining my overly blunt self, and maybe the classics can help with that.

MBTI
    ISFP

I think that Hemingway is awesome for all SPs. "On The Road" is also great. For SFPs in particular, character-based novels with lots of color and incident are good. Post-modernist, anti-novels are definitely not recommended.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Does everyone love Harry Potter except me?
    Nope.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't mean to sound presumptious, but I think SPs generally might prefer different books than SJs. The idea that every S would like the same book amuses me. I'm thinking of a very special ISFP when I say this...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't mean to sound presumptious, but I think SPs generally might prefer different books than SJs. The idea that every S would like the same book amuses me. I'm thinking of a very special ISFP when I say this...
    You're exactly right! Couldn't agree more. Hemingway and Fitzgerald have been mentioned so far, but I can't see STs liking them much. I don't, really. I read The Sun Also Rises and The Great Gatsby, and had serious problems with them. I like books where most of the action is ACTION, and not just emotional tumult in the heads of the characters. I still think that biographies work for Sensors - it just depends on whether or not you get something personal out of it. So, impersonal biographies don't work, but personal autobiographies, with a distinctive narrative style (e.g. "Fun Home", "Persepolis", "Born Standing Up", etc. etc), do work. For me, anyways.

Also, one of my favorite books of all time (speaking of Douglas Adams-esque humor): "The Pirates! in an Adventure with Communists", by Gideon Defoe. SO funny!!! Laughed out loud through the whole thing.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    ISTJ: Sabriel, the Harry Potter books
    I disagree with ISTJ and Harry Potter books. Although I do think Introverts prefer them, but doubtful about the STJ preference.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You're exactly right! Couldn't agree more. Hemingway and Fitzgerald have been mentioned so far, but I can't see STs liking them much. I don't, really. I read The Sun Also Rises and The Great Gatsby, and had serious problems with them. I like books where most of the action is ACTION, and not just emotional tumult in the heads of the characters. I still think that biographies work for Sensors - it just depends on whether or not you get something personal out of it. So, impersonal biographies don't work, but personal autobiographies, with a distinctive narrative style (e.g. "Fun Home", "Persepolis", "Born Standing Up", etc. etc), do work. For me, anyways.

Also, one of my favorite books of all time (speaking of Douglas Adams-esque humor): "The Pirates! in an Adventure with Communists", by Gideon Defoe. SO funny!!! Laughed out loud through the whole thing.

I know my ISFP likes biographies about artists and musicians and interesting characters from "scenes" from the past. He also likes gritty prison stories, horror magazines, and stuff about street life.

Although I will say that I'm an NFP and I like biographies about artists, writers, and musicians too.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Nope.
    Good. I don't know, I just didn't feel a "message" out of the books- it was just ... diverting. (Especially since Harry was always "chosen" and such but was so ... empty. I felt like stuff tended to happen to him a lot just because he was deemed special rather than act special in any way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Post-modernist, anti-novels are definitely not recommended.
    What would be a post-modernist anti-novel, exactly? Haven't heard of those. (I once read a story about a man in a box where a lot of the "action" was imaginary dreaming of possibilities, would that count?)

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    You're exactly right! Couldn't agree more.
    I don't think individuals of all the same type would even like the same books! Let alone all SPs or SJs or IS or SFs or STs. I think the *reasons* for reading or liking certain books over others (what they liked about them) might be more similar in style by type, however- so I guess this was my roundabout way of sussing this out. (Indirectness, for the win.)

(And splitting SP/SJ would prevent perhaps more useful splits- like ST/SF. And there's not really a lot of S-interested people around here anyway- I surprised there weren't more typical blah comments on the first page, but hopefully the uninterested people have become SO uninterested they can't even be bothered to make cheap jokes anymore.)