User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default STJs and the social rules

Hello.

I'm interested in what STJs think of social rules, manners, etc. When do you tend to follow them, and what would make you go against such rules? How important are the social rules to you? I'm very curious about the interplay between Te and Fe.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I try to follow social "norms" (i.e. the social clock) but "rules".... not really. Depends on what they are.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

I'm happy for you to define what you see as a social rule vs a social norm! That's part of what will help me understand how you guys tick.

Also, what's the social clock?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

My STJ Aunt is obsessed with people have kids at the "right" age, marrying at the "right" time, having a "proper" career and living in the "right" neighbourhood. It's so totally foreign to me.

She followed all the do and don'ts in the book and now her life is a mess, doesn't stop her from preaching to others though.

Sorry bit of a rant there...
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

your resident asshole

Well, if I was walking down the street and someone decided to randomly start stripping in front of me, I'd probably think they were a little strange. Like d@ve said, there's a difference between social "norms" and social "rules." I'm not really sure what anyone would define as social "rules." :/

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Yeah, the phrase "social rules" makes me think that there's a rulebook out there or something. Maybe debutantes have that sort of thing, but STJs don't. If we do, it's completely internalized, and we don't think about it at all unless something violates it, e.g. someone randomly stripping on the street. That's when we'd go "Waitaminute - that's not normal!" (As opposed to SPs, who might respond with a "Sweet! That person is my hero." ) But SFJs do this too, in my experience.
    HOWEVER, if all of my friends are doing something that violates a social norm, or if I think the rule is inherently unfair, I'm more likely to break that rule. Some lines (usually relating to modesty or lack thereof) I simply refuse to cross. With others, given enough time and pressure, I may relent. Reluctantly.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ

Social Rules- yes, because most likely they are fair and the right thing to do- treating others fairly.

Social Norms- not really. I won't do something because it's expected that I do it, especially with dating. If there's no feeling behind it, I won't do it. I won't buy somebody a gift on Valentine's day because it's Valentine's day. There's nothing significant about that day- just a scheduled day in the random month of February to get you to spend money.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

My ISTJ said the cutest thing tonight. She was talking about how she didn't know what to do about her boyfriend (they're in a rough patch) and she said, "I dunno what to do. Where's the rulebook!?" As much as she doesn't want to do things because of outside expectations, it's clear that she has a strong idea of how things should be. She expects her boyfriend to call her every day (they live in different cities), to choose to talk to her over spending time with his friends, she gets really annoyed when other couples engage in excessive PDA, pretty normal things but she is very adamant about them, to a point that I don't really understand. She definitely appreciates social norms, but when she sees them violated, she doesn't react to it in an emotional way like I've seen with ISFJs, but in a "Why would anyone even do that?" way.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    When do you tend to follow them?
    If the "rules" give benefit for people and it make sense.

what would make you go against such rules?
    If it violate people and it doesn't make sense.

How important are the social rules to you?
    As long as it keeps people respect each other.

MBTI
    ISTj

It really depends on the social setting. For example, I tend to follow established social rules at work, around those in authority, friends, etc. I tend to follow archaic Emily Post-syle rules of etiquette, etc.

However, if you mean the unspoken social rules espoused by my fellow students, I tend to ignore them or openly hold them in contempt.
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. It wasn't a game for knights."