• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] When ISTJ goes wrong

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, I can't help with the first two people or anything.But the guy with OCD that really sucks, hope everything works out for him

But I can relate to people calling me cold or uncaring, not because I don't care. I just don't see the point in showing my emotions on my sleave and be sympathetic towards anyone and everyone.I also don't like being smothered by strangers, their's a handful of people I'd want at my funeral or visiting me in the hospital. Also when I care about someone and they're hurt I don't like crying in front of others. I also process things internally, so instead of my exploding when approriate it be two days later when some one cuts in front of me. Then according to them I'm over reacting maybe I am. Also I would have been like your daughter wishing everyone would leave.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
They both sneer at people with jobs and careers and at phrases like "sense of honour" or "personal dignity" - they think it's a pile of old crap... though my guess is that it's their very overly critical fathers that they're actually trying to 'defy' by saying those things, I think that a large part of why they live the way they do is because they're still locked in a sort of 'rebellion' against their fathers (though Dave's is dead long ago and Adam's hasn't seen him in years).

So WTF is up with all this?

:rofl1: Now, I really enjoy your posts, substitute. They're usually full of gleaming insight and untrollish satire. However, from that testosterone driven NF-moralizing rant which I say was very un-NTish of you, I'll say the two guys have a chip on their shoulder.

Do you feel competitive with either ISTJs?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
:rofl1: Now, I really enjoy your posts, substitute. They're usually full of gleaming insight and untrollish satire. However, from that testosterone driven NF-moralizing rant ...

Do you feel competitive with either ISTJs?

No dude, you got me wrong... it wasn't a theorizing thing or a rant, that's what they've said to me themselves, and what they've both said their shrinks have said in the past, which, though they dismiss it, I believe there's more to it and that they only dismiss it because they don't wanna face upto it.

Oh, but if you mean the other thing, in response to the ENFP - well, fire with fire, innit.

And I don't have a competitive bone in my body. In fact, I'm far less competitive than anyone I know. I'm the least competitive person in the world, far less than you or anyone else on this forum. Wanna step outside and prove it? :rofl1:

Oh and...

which I say was very un-NTish of you,

I wear my type. It does not wear me :D

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
And I don't have a competitive bone in my body. In fact, I'm far less competitive than anyone I know. I'm the least competitive person in the world, far less than you or anyone else on this forum.

Hahahaha, says the most competitive man on the forum. :hi:

Well, carry on...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hahahaha, says the most competitive man on the forum. :hi:

Well, carry on...

Yah, not big on sarcasm then?

And what's this?

Now, I really enjoy your posts, substitute. They're usually full of gleaming insight and untrollish satire.

You're easily pleased then :laugh: I thought they were mostly full of shit. The first shit that comes to mind, most of the time... heheh...

(no, seriously though, thank you, I shall treasure that compliment. I don't get many personal ones so I have to usually take all the general ENTP ones personally to satiate my fragile ego :cry: )

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
You're easily pleased then :laugh: I thought they were mostly full of shit. The first shit that comes to mind, most of the time... heheh...

(no, seriously though, thank you, I shall treasure that compliment. I don't get many personal ones so I have to usually take all the general ENTP ones personally to satiate my fragile ego :cry: )

Dude, sure you're not an INFP?

Alright, just kidding, just kidding! Every ENTP I've come across have had big egos. But they can take it as much as they dish out. Not to mention, but they're also good at recognizing their weaknesses where others attempt to hide them. That is why they are so lovable. :)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Alright, just kidding, just kidding! Every ENTP I've come across have had put on an act of having big egos to cover up how insecure they really are.

ooOO(Ah, he's fallen for the old trick...)

There you are - fixed.

But really, I wouldn't know a 'value' if it bit me on the ass. Amoral, I'd be, completely, if I didn't have someone ruling me with a rod of iron :blush:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Dude, you're pretty odd... someone tries to accept a compliment whilst also having reservations about it because of honesty, and you accuse them of the opposite...? Eh, well I like you anyway :)

(my usual relationship with ESTJ's - we don't understand each other and never will, so let's not try and just accept that we like each other for some odd reason, and not ruin it by trying to puzzle out why! lol)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
It's only because of me that he ever goes out of his bloody front door at all, and that in the last few months he has been making an effort to see a shrink, though progress is slow. However, I'm not a health professional and I do have my own life to lead, and my own responsibilities, namely a business that employs 14 people and raising two kids (including an autistic one) on my own, plus the recent death of my father, the administration of whose estate (miles away from where I live) has fallen solely to me. I can't revolve my life around him, though I do do far more than anyone else has ever done or considered doing for him - including paid professionals - and far more than is healthy for my physical and mental stress levels. Which, considering I'm not only not related to him and he's just some guy I met randomly in a pub one day, and considering I'm supposedly a cold, sociopathic ENTP, isn't bad going. Where are all those empathic NF's with their strong humanitarian values? Oh yes - they're avoiding him and refusing to talk to him because he's "mean and rude". So fuck you, "frankly".

But this is something that's always pissed me off in the past about some people, who assume that just because someone doesn't get all het up on the outside and panicking, it's a sign of them not caring. Quite the opposite, my gun-jumping friend. Y'know, some of us are able to put our own emotional responses on a backburner in order to put higher priority on the needs of others and the importance of finding a solution to a problem. It's called being calm in a crisis and is a highly valued skill in most societies, not something to be criticised or condemned ;)

Testy aren't we?

First of all, though I did point out the detached tone of your original post, you'll see that I never accused you of 'not doing enough' or 'not doing more' or even of being uncaring. In fact, I acknowledged you were (I think the inexact quote was) 'the last tether to reality' for one of your friends. And I added that I was afraid for what would happen to him if you were not in his life.

I think perhaps my response hit a nerve with you because of other comments people have made to you -- actually I know so as you followed it up by saying a lot of other people have accused you of being uncaring b/c of the way you react to things.

Well, I was not one of those people. I understand where you're at can be frustrating, and I took your response with a grain of salt as a response to 'all those other people'. I think everyone and even grouped by personality types, can get fed up with other pepole not 'getting them' or misjudging them. After all, I'm also on this board.

It's unfair to jump on me for something I didn't say.

To give more background on where I am coming from, I have known a number of people wiith clinical depression and mood disorders with and w/o suicide attempts, which have at certain points made them barely or nonfunctional members of society and cost them jobs, relationships, and scholarships -- including one or two people with scizophrenic symptoms (having heard voices, illusions of grandeur and superhuman abilities etc.) and online have answered posts from scizophrenic people who don't seem to know they are scizophrenic and moreover "don't feel like doing something artificial like take medication"

In my experience, mental illness is NOT given the seriousness it deserves -- people's attitudes are so cavalier -- which you also alluded to in your explanation of how the public system has failed your friend. That's one thing that very much is in the front of my mind when discussing mental illness with strangers like on this forum.

Also, my statements about the detached tone of your post was formed if you notice as a question. I was ASKING you if you saw the magnitude of the problem. Sure, on your end as the poster and someone who is living it, you know what you know. But, little ole me on THIS side of the screen trying to decipher text with a detached tone to boot -- it's a valid question.

As for the 'NF's being hypocritical and avoiding your friends, that's kinda a sweeping generalization isn't it? How do you know that they are NF's and that ALL NF's are like this and further how do you know I would fall into this category just because I'm listed as "ENFP"? That could probably be another thread in itself

Yes, I get your frustration, I get that people react to situations and relay information in different ways, but dude, you can chill out. I was not condemning you. In fact, I was trying to be of help. As in I'm in your corner, as opposed to facing off against you. My response might not have been what you wanted or expected, but that's the nature of public forums.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh hang on, no, I've seen this one. My brother does it all the time and he's ENFP; "sorry" isn't a word that comes easily to him either... It's the classic disclaimer-veiled accusation-denial, and invalidation tactic. Example:

Well-meaning, interfering stranger:I'm not saying you're a lazy, apathetic bum [disclaimer], but shouldn't you get up and get a job?[accusative rhetorical question]
Dude: Fuck you man, you don't even know me, and didn't you listen to all the reasons I already told you why I can't?[legitimate annoyance and indignation]
Stranger: Hey I said I wasn't accusing you of anything [total denial of the accusation], so no need to get all touchy! [invalidation of the person's response and discrediting of their perception] I was just asking whether you knew... [morphing what was blatantly a rhetorical question into a supposedly gentle, genuine enquiry]

Tchah... it's a good tactic, well done, bravo :)

But yeah, of course there's an element of venting annoyance at other people who've done that. But I don't randomly go around venting annoyance at people for things that are nothing to do with anything they said or did, that other people have. There's always got to be some reason, something that I'm responding to, which has given me reason to connect what's been said to me with wrongs done to me before either by the person in question or others.

I appreciate that I might've jumped in on the defensive too hotly, and that you probably only meant well, however. No hard feelings. All's fair in love and Ne ;)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Oh ho ho ho substitute, I'm glad you realize that ENFP's do not apologize.

Especially for things which we have no reason to apologize for. :D

So let us leave it at that, I'm right, you're right, (did I mention I'm right?) the world is a beautiful place, and we can let the thread continue with the discussion at hand.

In more seriousness though, having 2 close ENTP friends who I often get into circular never-ending arguments with (sometimes I don't even understand what we're arguing about), I think sometimes it's best just to say that perception is everything and sometimes even with good or inocuous intentions people just don't see eye to eye.

(BTW, would it horrify you that I sometimes test as your type? I am actually an ENTP/ENFP cusp and I test as ENTP not ENFP depending on the test. I'm right on that 50/50 mark and have been since adolescence.)

And now -- on with the thread!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
And now -- on with the thread!

Not quite, I just have to say...

(BTW, would it horrify you that I sometimes test as your type? I am actually an ENTP/ENFP cusp and I test as ENTP not ENFP depending on the test. I'm right on that 50/50 mark and have been since adolescence.)

Not at all, because not only do I do that tactic as well, but my T/F preference is about 65/35.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
This is a very long post, but it needs to be to give you the full low-down on the situation here that I want some input on. So bear with me.

I know two guys called Dave and Adam. I've known them both long enough to be able to type them as ISTJ with total certainty. On top of that, they've taken tests and always come out as ISTJ.

But neither of them are at all dutiful or hard working. They're both completely workshy, lazy bums. In fact, they almost are bums - they certainly both look like bums, and the state of their apartments beggars belief.

Dave is about 45 and suffers quite badly from OCD, which has kept him unemployable for about the last 20 years. He lives a very lazy life, wallowing in his own filth at home, sleeping, eating far too much of the same crappy food every day, watching TV, rarely venturing out of his front door unless complelled to by some kind of appointment with his shrink or the promise of free food somewhere, or perhaps a film that he wants to see - he's been an ardent film buff since his childhood and INSISTS on going to the cinema at least four times a month, and prioritises it over his household bills; he always goes to the cinema alone and always sits in the same seat in front of the same screen.

He won't go on holidays, he procrastinates everything in the universe. He started to be warned by his doctor years ago that he had to control his eating otherwise he'd become diabetic, but he didn't listen - "But I like this food. This is the food I've always had and I'm used to it, I don't want to change my diet" - and even though he's now diagnosed as diabetic, he just cuts out sweet stuff but carries on eating FAR too much of everything else (a large mixing bowl full of cereal for breakfast every day, for example - the same cereal every day for the last 20 years).

He rarely washes and he hoards things - some good things like books (though he compulsively buys them every time he goes past a second hand book shop, he has to spend about an hour at least in there and comes out with a load of books that he'll never, ever read and that he can't afford) and some bad things like trash (literal trash - "But I don't want to put it out - it's MY trash!"). He only started using deodorant a year ago, and I've only recently, after years of trying, managed to get him to try using a sponge in the shower and actual shower gel. When I've been out with him, people have often taken him for a bum and me for his social worker. He just laughs and thinks it's funny.

He hasn't a friend in the world apart from me, because nobody else will put up with him, even his own family. He's completely insensitive and very rude, he doesn't give a damn about other people's feelings and he's greedy and very selfish, and constantly critical of everything and everyone - I've never heard him give an unreserved compliment. If he goes out and sees any people, especially if they're not people he knows well, he 'needs' to take a few days of sitting in bed at home to recover from the 'stress' of it.

Dave has a degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering; he has a MENSA IQ and he can do The Times cryptic crossword in 9 minutes. He does calculus for fun. But he's absolutely unemployable, and he's wasting away his life. When I've tried to talk to him about this he's said that he believes himself to be a person who is predestined to misery, and that he's frightened of happiness because he doesn't know what to expect, and that he'd rather stay comfortable in his misery because "at least I know where I am".

Adam is much the same as Dave, except that he doesn't have OCD. I don't know what's wrong with Adam that makes him act the way he does, and I know that it can't all be down to the OCD with Dave.

Adam is about 35 and has a degree in philosophy from Cambridge, as well as being an incredibly talented musician and artist. He spends most of his time on the X Box, playing the same three games day in, day out. He won't go anywhere that he hasn't already been before unless physically dragged there. He won't DO anything. He lives with my brother Jack (ENFP), who is a driving instructor and has offered to teach him to drive for free, but Adam is yet to motivate himself to apply for his provisional licence. He also insists that they go to the area near where his mother lives (about 200 miles away) for the lessons "because I know the roads there".

Adam developed a crush on a girl called Judy about 11 years ago and despite never standing a snowflake's chance in hell with her, and despite her now being married with three kids, he still refuses to accept this or move on, and still talks from time to time about how he'll sort himself out once him and Judy get together - he's convinced that her marriage will fail which, even if it did, still wouldn't mean he had a chance with her.

Adam finds himself to be so unable to face doing any housework (Jack does it ALL, all the time, and before Jack lived with him it just simply didn't get done and the place was disgusting) that when a piece of meat went mouldy in his fridge once, rather than remove it and clean the fridge, he simply left it there until it became so putrid that it made him retch every time he opened the fridge door. At this point, he simply closed the door, taped the fridge door shut and left it there for three years, just accepting that as far as he was concerned, he didn't have a fridge now.

Now, both these guys are ISTJ - they have all the traits and without a doubt Si and Te are their main functions. Everything they do and say seems to be hallmarked with the letters Si and Te, and yet somehow this hasn't led to any sense of duty or work ethic. They both sneer at people with jobs and careers and at phrases like "sense of honour" or "personal dignity" - they think it's a pile of old crap... though my guess is that it's their very overly critical fathers that they're actually trying to 'defy' by saying those things, I think that a large part of why they live the way they do is because they're still locked in a sort of 'rebellion' against their fathers (though Dave's is dead long ago and Adam's hasn't seen him in years).

So WTF is up with all this? Anyone else ever known an ISTJ that went wrong? Anyone figure out what it was in their temperament that made them go this way? Both of them used to be bright college students that were always good for a laugh, they used to be fun and loyal friends with promising futures. It hurts their family and friends to see them letting themselves be reduced to living squalid and unhealthy lives in misery but nothing anyone tries seems to get through to them. Advice/thoughts please!

And thank you, if you made it to the end of this post! :)

Wow, that doesn't even sound real. I'm not saying it's not real, I'm just saying it's so crazy that it doesn't sound real. I don't think it's 'When ISTJ goes wrong' so much as 'When laziness goes too far' or in Dave's case, 'When OCD goes wrong'. Also it's a good example of the fact that OCD isn't all about cleanliness. I have no idea how these people got that way, but I can tell you it's probably nothing to do with MBTI... nothing. It's probably more to do with their past environments.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
yeah I got that, thanks, but since I'm not a shrink and just their friend, the "deeper help" stuff they need is a bit beyond the scope of what I could offer :)

anyway, old thread, outdated info, they're both on the mend now. using approaches towards ISTJ's that I learned through this thread and others here, I managed to railroad them both into therapy and they're getting on quite well with it :D

rawr_sheila

MBTI Type
ISTJ
[MENTION=299]substitute[/MENTION]
I know it's been years, 4-6 to be exact. But if you're still here, can you give us updates? I'm very curious to know how these guys are doing. Even though you don't identify yourself with the characteristics of sympathy and the like, I know you are one tolerant guy. What made you stick with Adam and Dave while they were going through this rough patch? I know ExTPs don't have the patience or time to deal with this type of stuff.

I read the whole thread. I can definitely see myself in their shoes. To be in that position, I must've tried literally everything I could to get out. I must've worked my butt off every day, been stressed and frustrated as hell before going to that state of apathy. And still, I'd push everyone away from me. I wonder how you were able to be with them, under those circumstances. To have a friend accept you at your worst is a treasure.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Naomi Quenk says that in midlife if an ISTJ doesn't progress positively toward integrating their extraverted intuition along with their tertiary feeling, they can become a more exaggerated version of themselves.

"They may develop rigid rules and unvarying routines, insisting that everyone else conform to their way of doing things."

It's hard to stand by and watch that, isn't it?

If these ISTJs can develop their inferior and tertiary more, they can become better balanced people who will enjoy their families more and who will be enjoyed more by their family and friends.

This came to mind but my gut says these people suffer from some sort of mental illness or chemical imbalance and that they need to be in therapy.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
rawr_sheila said:
To have a friend accept you at your worst is a treasure.

That is very true. :)

--

Curiously, I know an ISTJ who is sort of like this, but to a far lesser extent. I agree with highlander that those guys probably both have/have had very serious underlying issues. I'm happy for them if they're getting help.

The ISTJ I know is very stubborn and fairly lazy, but is enjoyable company and is generally warm-hearted. He's even a bit of a doormat to his family, which is probably part of his problem. He had one marriage that didn't work out and recently remarried, but maybe too fast. I think she's a a bit of a gold digger, unfortunately, and he is very generous to her and her children, even though she's actually fairly well-off, and retains her own private bank account. He holds a lower management position in which he does what is expected of him, and no more. Sometimes a little less, if he can slip out early, and he overdelegates fairly often. He likes being in charge, but he gets irritated when anyone asks him to work more than his set hours or to do unusual tasks.

I think he could definitely benefit from more Ne and Fi usage and influence, but the stifling, bottom-line-obsessed nature of his particular workplace isn't helping him (or anyone else, for that matter). IMO, he should find a more relaxed job and take his time finding a new wife, but obviously that's no small task.