User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    I

Default ISTJs, what kind of jobs do you like to do?

ISTJs, I mean what would you like to do at your job? What do they involve? (Not asking what job do you have currently.)

MBTI
    ISTJ

NOT sitting at a desk for 8+ hours! Something that forces me to use my street smarts (common sense + schooling), rather than book smarts (schooling only).
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTJ

I hate work that is redundant and boring. It makes me laugh that some sites say one of the ideal jobs for an ISTJ is accounting. Boring!!!! I like to do a variety of tasks. For instance, I would love to do writing, editing, and some graphic design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Logical problem solving, independent and task-oriented. You give me logical problems, I solve them. That's the way I want to work. And that's how I work.

I hate jobs that:

- Require me to constantly interact with strangers (=customers)
    - Do not require me to think
    - Are mostly physical labor.
    - I have to do with people who don't care about their work. Job is far more than just a way to get money. It's about 1/3 of your life, so you should like it!
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    LoLz

I like a job that requires a lot of logical structuring and requires an understanding of a system behind numbers. For instance, the one aspect of my job at a retail store that I love the most is when a customer comes in with a complicated transaction that calls on my ability to make a step by step plan to accomplish what they need.

I had a lady come in last night that wanted to return something for a store credit, buy something new, then purchase a gift card while using the remainder of her store credit for the gift card. So, I had to get her first return voided, re-ring an exchange, purchase her new items, then figure out how much to add on to the remainder of her gift card with the store credit to end up with the amount on it she wanted. That to me was fun. I love those complicated transactions because it really calls on Si and Te, but sometimes Ne.

I'm somewhat of a stereotypical ISTJ. I'm finding out more and more how much I enjoy working with systems and numbers. It's so clear cut, impersonal and systematic. I think I'm going to enjoy working in accounting, but I'd sortof rather be working in the finance field somewhere. From my experience working at my current job, I think I'd really enjoy working at a bank in a job that was like 75% technical oriented and 25% customer service.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I think I'd very much enjoy working in the field of robotics. I'd get to exercise my logic skills and a develop a bit in the field of systems thinking. I don't believe it'd really be a job so much as a challenge, and as such, completely irresistible.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I really don't know. I'm searching for this. It's also why I'm wondering whether "doing what you love" is going to ever be important to me, so long as I don't "do what I hate." Right now, an inspection job or a desk-paperwork job sounds more interesting to me than police, military, or accounting work. Maybe teaching, but dealing with students would be really tough.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 07-16-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: desk job, sure
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    I

Thanks for the responses so far, guys. Much better than all the other SJ threads on this topic.

Anyway, to answer my own question, I would say that I prefer work to be interesting and not interactive with people. Also, I want to do something that I am talented at. That's important to me. Generally, I'm perfectly fine with a desk job as long as I'm not constantly learning new things. But of course if I do the same thing repeatedly, that's a major negative because of boredom.

MBTI
    ESFJ

So how about, for an ISTJ, a fireman or working with animals.

I ask because i have just received my sons school report and it isn't looking good. In most subjects he is either average or below average for his age. Not liking drawing attention to himself, if he is stuck, he wont ask for help. In the UK (and our shitty, make things as easy as possible for the kids policies) my son will be doing his exams over the next 2 years, so if he messes up then he can do a retake and hopefully improve, but the school has chosen subjects (ICT and business studies) which he has no interest in. My kid wanted land and environmental studies but was told it would be to hard for him.

Would the above career moves be good for his personality type?
    Thanks.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ISTx

Protecting the community. Police work.