• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] STJs - How does insecurity manifest itself in you?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I have been reading the thread in another section about how people think insecurity shows up differently in each of the types. I was thinking about how I'd describe it for mine.

What makes you feel insecure?

What do you do when you are feeling insecure?

Do you think each type is different, or are there common human traits that are displayed when we each feel insecure?

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Relationships? :huh: Well, I don't know about insecure. But when I see my friends all having a good time with their friends and girlfriends, I can't help but wonder, "Why can't I be like that?" Then a brief 10 seconds of sadness. ;) Then back to normal.

Probably each type is different, but the basic traits are there. :yes: For instance, the "F" types would probably typically SHOW they are sad somehow.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
It can be in any area - like at work, or when you are doing something, or interpersonally... I don't necessarily mean sadness so much as feeling unsure or not good at something or self-conscious or uncomfortable in some way.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ

When I have to do something I feel unprepared for, or if I'm less knowledgeable/experienced about something than those surrounding me (I hate being in the position where I am incompetent).

Depends...but usually:
1) Sit there silently
2) Admit my shortcomings and ask for help or reassurance
3) Get real nervous and botch things up
4) Tell myself life is a learning experience and everything will work itself out...go in there, try my best, learn what I can, get out!

Do you think each type is different, or are there common human traits that are displayed when we each feel insecure?

While each human experiences insecurities I think it probably manifests itself in different ways according to type. At least, how we react to it would probably vary.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Ah ok, then yes, I agree with pretty much everything Recoleta said. :)

"Insecure" is when I'm not confident I can get in, get the job done, and get out unscathed.

What do I do in that situation of insecurity? Well, I admit it to myself or to whomever I am with, so they don't become disappointed when they don't get the quality work expected. However, 99.9% of the time, I ALWAYS try. :yes:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Everything that Recoleta said, except replace "less knowledgable/experienced about something" to "inferior to in some way". This could be, for an example, being in a group full of really attractive people, and then remembering all my physical flaws.

Like with d@v3, usually my insecurity shows up and disappears again within about ten seconds. So, usually, I show none of this physically. Typically when I feel insecure, no one will know.
If I'm insecure because I'm being told to do something that I don't think I can do effectively (as d@v3 mentioned), I'll usually protest, and try to defer responsibility to someone who I know for a fact will do the job well - i.e. someone I trust more than myself for that particular job. If that doesn't work (and it usually doesn't), I do the job to the best of my ability and try to forget about the fact that I'm not as good at it as some people.
If I'm insecure about something that I really need to let out, I'll make a self-deprecating joke to someone. Usually this is just around friends (it's a form of opening up, I suppose).

I think each type handles it differently.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

- Feeling insecure for me is mainly tied to an inability to see what lies ahead. Being unprepared for something relatively important.

- Sometimes I will feel nervous. Sometimes I may blame others. Sometimes I may get cocky.

- This one's tough. I could actually see some parallels in insecurity behavior related to type.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
-People. I have a very hard time predicting people's actions sometimes and that make me feel insecure. For example, asking a girl out.

-Usually, when I am uncertain I try to delay facing the problem or basically, just worry. There have been times where I would sit down for an hour, simulating outcomes in my head, and ultimately withdrawing socially. Sometimes I try to handle the problem, but often do so rashly and deeply regret my decision. However, I think this is the case where I have something to lose, most often my reputation.

In cases where things less valuable are at stake (say the results of a test for example) I usually will just blow it off.

-I would imagine each type handles insecurity differently.

Last edited: