User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm pretty much a certified perfectionist. My personal tutor at uni told me I was too perfectionist and that it was why I was always so stressed - and she was hardly a trained counsellor. Actually at one point I was feeling low enough to see a trained counsellor and she told me my problem (in a nutshell) was my perfectionism, and not thinking other people could do things to the right standards so taking on too much myself. It really helped.
    Not all bad though; one of the reasons I got my job was because they could see I was a perfectionist! They told me that!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yeah, but not so much in my relationships with people. I do it a lot with tasks I'm performing or projects I'm involved with.
    Same. I think that's my 'failure', if you like. Relationships with people is now a 'task' I'm focusing on.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I'm pretty much a certified perfectionist. My personal tutor at uni told me I was too perfectionist and that it was why I was always so stressed - and she was hardly a trained counsellor. Actually at one point I was feeling low enough to see a trained counsellor and she told me my problem (in a nutshell) was my perfectionism, and not thinking other people could do things to the right standards so taking on too much myself. It really helped.
    Not all bad though; one of the reasons I got my job was because they could see I was a perfectionist! They told me that!
    Exactly that is why I would use it as a fault because it is a good fault, just try not to be stressed with doing or taking on too much. I about had a nervous breakdown because of it. Since then I have had to learn to lighten up.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eiddy View Post
    Exactly that is why I would use it as a fault because it is a good fault, just try not to be stressed with doing or taking on too much. I about had a nervous breakdown because of it. Since then I have had to learn to lighten up.
    I'm glad you're okay now. How long ago? How did you know what was going on and that you had to chill out?
    I think I was getting close to breaking point during my finals. I literally couldn't stop working! My dad's forever telling me not to work so hard in case I have a nervous breakdown.
    Perhaps this is what is known as 'being anal'.

MBTI
    I

I guess I have an unintentionally perfectionist vision for myself. It's not exactly a perfectionist view though, because I don't want to be perfect in everything. I just want to be above average in everything lol.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I'm glad you're okay now. How long ago? How did you know what was going on and that you had to chill out?
    I think I was getting close to breaking point during my finals. I literally couldn't stop working! My dad's forever telling me not to work so hard in case I have a nervous breakdown.
    Perhaps this is what is known as 'being anal'.
    Being anal .. Been there done that (and not in a sexual way). I don't know if its a case of your your stress level getting so high, that it becomes fight or flight. I suppose its at those moments when you have to reassess your thinking.
    For all the shit i have been through, i am so grateful to be in THIS place right now. I suppose i could go as far as self prophesying as i always said when i was younger that i couldn't wait to turn 30 as then i would calm down and chill. I did that, just wasn't expecting it to be done in the way it was. Still pretty cool though. Small blessings in disguise.

Sounds like most people here have had reasonably OKish experiences with perfectionism, or at least it's been utilised to your advantange. My ISTJ mother utilises perfectionism to her advantange, she's constantly pushing herself forward but stresses the hell out of herself.

On the other hand I err... sort of let perfectionism get the better of me. It's what I meant by paralysation. My procrastination comes from the fact that I can't do things perfectly, so I don't try or give up before I began.

People say that perfectionists can end up performing much worse than than their normal peers depending on how it manifests itself.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFj

I'm an ESFP and I'm a perfectionist. I get in this mindset where I set really hard to reach goals and have to do them perfectly. I've been working on it, but old habits die hard.
    E - 79% I - 21%
    S - 53% N - 47%
    T - 32% F - 68%
    J - 32% P - 68%

ESFP

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KarenParker View Post
    I'm an ESFP and I'm a perfectionist. I get in this mindset where I set really hard to reach goals and have to do them perfectly. I've been working on it, but old habits die hard.
    Awww. Yep, your right, old habits die hard. But everything in baby steps i say.

I think because i dont have a plan in life. When opportunities arise, i will get what i want. I will start at the bottom of the ladder but DAMN SURE i will climb it. The word 'no' is not in my vocabulary.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KarenParker View Post
    My ESFP son is like this - he can't even start working on the goals sometimes because he seems to expect that everything be perfect the first time he does or tries anything.