User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default How to tell the difference between ISTJ and INTJ.

How would you tell the difference between these two?

MBTI
    ISTJ

Good question. I don't think I know any INTJ's. I'm willing to bet that the INTJ's like to read poetry and have a better understanding of school and things like that whereas ISTJ's are probably more "hands on".
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    xxxx

If you compared an INTJ and an ISTJ, you'd probably notice the following things:
    • The INTJ is likely smarter
    • The INTJ will likely focus on the bigger picture, while the ISTJ will more likely be inclined to focus on the smaller picture
    • The ISTJ is likely to be a harder worker
    • The ISTJ likely has more respect for authority

That being said, those characteristics would be the best for telling the difference between the two types.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ISXJ

One of my closest friends is an INTJ male. On the outside, you'd probably think we were the same person...it is uncanny how we react to things in very similar ways.

Most of the time our thoughts are even in sync with one another (but that could just be b/c we've known each other for about 8 years). Of the differences I see between us, he is very intellectual at pretty much all times. He enjoys reading informational texts on all kinds of stuff, whereas I probably won't read about it for enjoyment...I'm more likely to just jump strait into a project, ask for help, and/or figure something out by actually doing it.

His thought processes are probably more fluid and changeable compared to mine...he expects things to go wrong, and will adjust accordingly. He's pretty good at improvising things -- me, not as much. Teaching has taught me to be flexible, but I still like being planned and rehearsed and decided on things ahead of time. He sees the "big picture" more easily, but I'm the one that catches the details.

Socially, I'm more outgoing and talkative, and can tolerate people a little better. He prefers to keep to himself, and shows very little emotion. He has 2 default facial expressions: smirk, and neutral. It is rare to see a wider range of emotion than that (could be a guy/girl thing, though?).

MBTI
    I

Simple as:

INTJs are more abstract, imaginative, and head-in-the-clouds. They are more ingenious. In general, they have better leadership ability. They also seem more random (because of the leading Ni).

ISTJs are simpler, more concrete, and formal. In general, they are harder workers. More common sense, more detail-oriented.

It is interesting to see what ISTJs think about INTJs.

We can look similar from the outside. Especially if you are not ISTJ or INTJ.
    However on the inside we are quite different people.

But I agree with previous posters .

I think that INTJs are more likely to annoy ISTJs then the other way around. (opinions?)

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post

I think that INTJs are more likely to annoy ISTJs then the other way around. (opinions?)
    It does seem S's in general seem more socially adaptable.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

INTJs are dorkier.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    If you compared an INTJ and an ISTJ, you'd probably notice the following things:
    • The INTJ is likely smarter
    • The INTJ will likely focus on the bigger picture, while the ISTJ will more likely be inclined to focus on the smaller picture
    • The ISTJ is likely to be a harder worker
    • The ISTJ likely has more respect for authority

That being said, those characteristics would be the best for telling the difference between the two types.
    Ri-ight. So intelligence is suddenly influenced by type. Although there are patterns it's not enough on any scale to really help determine effectively a persons type. I do believe that other factors are much more reliable and that the first suggestion for making distinctions is a poor one. Everything is based off of the individual and we try to fit it into type. It depends on what has influenced your personality for some of these factors more than what your personality is.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    It is interesting to see what ISTJs think about INTJs.

We can look similar from the outside. Especially if you are not ISTJ or INTJ.
    However on the inside we are quite different people.

But I agree with previous posters .

Ex was INTJ and my eldest son is an ISTJ .. Both got on brilliantly. Mutual respect. My son looked up to him as he was interested in strategic war games. Never one argument.

Now INTJ and ENTP .. oh please *sigh*.