type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

Default SJ's and alcohol

SJ's, what is your opinion on alcohol?

MBTI
    xxxx

It's a depressant. Consuming ethanol always seemed like a no-brainer bad idea to me. It's slow acting poison in my book, as is any other chemical with such adverse effects on my nervous system.

I will admit that the poison, taken in controlled levels, does have some benign effects and thus, in some cases, a valid medical use. However, outside of this limited niche, the negative effects of alcohol outweigh any positive effects. I personally choose to abstain from consumption of the substance.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    I

I drink but pretty rarely.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I would only drink it very rarely, and taste matters.

Yeah, I noticed it is popular, so naturally I wondered why. After a few tastes here and there, I gathered that it's not because of the taste of ethanol. If the taste is ever a reason to drink, it's in spite of the ethanol, not because of it. (Same thing with the coffee-caffeine connection, in my mind.)

So it's not the taste, it's the drug and its effects that people like. Alcohol is known for letting you loosen up. In my mind, this means losing control of yourself and your own actions, it means not being able to run things through your mind before you do them to decide whether they'd be good ideas. Loss of that kind of judgment and of being in charge of my own decisions is something I do not want. (Same thing with riding rollercoasters. I feel like I have no control over what happens to myself.)

It means that alcohol is great if you like loosening up, but it isn't if you don't.

MBTI
    ISTJ

In college, I had my fair share of drinks. I've grown out of that stage and I don't mind having a drink here and there. Too much alcohol makes me sick. Plus, my dad is an alcoholic and I do not want to end up like him. He uses alcohol to help with his problems.

Alcohol hasn't really loosened me up. I talk more when I'm around friends, and when I'm around people I don't know well, I still don't say much. Weird how that works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I haven't ever been drunk, and I don't plan on it. I like being in control of my own actions.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

I don't drink at all, don't like the stuff.

MBTI
    ISTJ

It tastes nasty, so why bother to consume it? ...Just a waste of money.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISXJ

I drink socially with my friends. It's not something that happens very often, and I've never been wasted/drunk before. It can take some time to enjoy the flavor of it (or find something you like), but I find that I really enjoy wine, some kinds of beer, and margaritas definitely top off a delicious meal of Mexican food.

My personal view is that if you take a responsible approach and have it in moderation, there is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes having a drink is just nice

MBTI
    ESFJ

I used to be a very heavy drinker. Not every day, but I'd hit the bar or drink a bottle of wine once or twice a week, and I'd get shitfaced a couple of times a month. I will go to the bar where I know the DJ tonight, and have 3-5 beers and dance. I really enjoy some alcoholic beverages, though. Red wine, good beer, the occasional fine bourbon or Scotch.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"