8 80.00%
  • Stay on the rope

2 20.00%
123 Last

MBTI
    entp

Default Do you cut off the rope? SJs only please

SJs only please. there is one like this in your section too

you are being rescued from an icy mountain with 4 other trapped climbers. the helicopter can't land so it lowered a rope ladder. 5 of you hanging on the ladder with you being the very last one hanging on to the rope ladder.

you see the rope is under stress since and it WILL break if more than 4 people hold on for more than a minute. you being the last one, do you cut off the rope so the other 4 can live or do you stay on...if you gotta stay on the mountain, so does everyone else.

whats YOUR reason for cutting off the rope ladder or staying on it

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Drop.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

I would drop but tell them to come back for me.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Trapped on an icy mountain? Hopefully I would think it through in time, but I think I would let go of the rope and wait for them to circle around and come back. They would undoubtedly return as soon as they possibly could and I would probably tolerate the cold better than the other people so it makes the most sense for me to wait.
    Last edited by Amira; 06-18-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: rephrase
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Plato

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Faint and thus let go. :P
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    xxxx

I'd drop. I wouldn't cut it since I'd be damaging property, but I'd leave myself to be rescued later. Since they have full knowledge I'm still out there, they'd certainly come back when the rope actually won't break in my rescue.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ISXJ

Frankly, if the helicopter is hovering and the problem is with the rope, why doesn't everyone climb one by one up the rope ladder into the helicopter?

If the problem is actually the amt. of weight the helicopter can carry at once, the decision of who stays behind would depend on if I have the best chance of survival compared to the other 4 on the rope. If I'm most likely to survive, sure, I'll stay behind, (and this is of course assuming the helicopter will be coming back). If I see no immediate danger in the situation, and I am physically able to handle it, I wouldn't mind being left alone. Actually, I'd probably try to convince one of the others to stay with me so that the groups are more even and the rescue is safer.

EDIT: Also, why would I cut the rope? Wouldn't it be easier to just let go?

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Frankly, if the helicopter is hovering and the problem is with the rope, why doesn't everyone climb one by one up the rope ladder into the helicopter?

If the problem is actually the amt. of weight the helicopter can carry at once, the decision of who stays behind would depend on if I have the best chance of survival compared to the other 4 on the rope. If I'm most likely to survive, sure, I'll stay behind, (and this is of course assuming the helicopter will be coming back). If I see no immediate danger in the situation, and I am physically able to handle it, I wouldn't mind being left alone. Actually, I'd probably try to convince one of the others to stay with me so that the groups are more even and the rescue is safer.

that would work except there is are no second rounds as the weather is worseing and conditions are too dangerous

also, staying behind might not be an option else a group rescue wouldn't be required in the first place

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post

Maybe because everyone is too weak to climb? Of course, that would make you wonder how you got 5 people on the ladder if they were incapable of climbing. It's a flaw in the question. I personally chose to answer the concept behind the question rather than nit-pick at it's impracticalities.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    Maybe because everyone is too weak to climb? Of course, that would make you wonder how you got 5 people on the ladder if they were incapable of climbing. It's a flaw in the question. I personally chose to answer the concept behind the question rather than nit-pick at it's impracticalities.
    something happened that they need to be rescued like weather worsening so climb is now impossible

only way for extraction is climbing the ladder...

thanks for assuming the minor shit...makes life much easier though of course, hypothetical situation doesn't really help with real life