• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Do you cut off the rope? SJs only please

Do you cut off the rope? SJs only please

• Cut off the rope

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Stay on the rope

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
SJs only please. there is one like this in your section too

you are being rescued from an icy mountain with 4 other trapped climbers. the helicopter can't land so it lowered a rope ladder. 5 of you hanging on the ladder with you being the very last one hanging on to the rope ladder.

you see the rope is under stress since and it WILL break if more than 4 people hold on for more than a minute. you being the last one, do you cut off the rope so the other 4 can live or do you stay on...if you gotta stay on the mountain, so does everyone else.

whats YOUR reason for cutting off the rope ladder or staying on it

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Trapped on an icy mountain? Hopefully I would think it through in time, but I think I would let go of the rope and wait for them to circle around and come back. They would undoubtedly return as soon as they possibly could and I would probably tolerate the cold better than the other people so it makes the most sense for me to wait.

Last edited:

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I'd drop. I wouldn't cut it since I'd be damaging property, but I'd leave myself to be rescued later. Since they have full knowledge I'm still out there, they'd certainly come back when the rope actually won't break in my rescue.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Frankly, if the helicopter is hovering and the problem is with the rope, why doesn't everyone climb one by one up the rope ladder into the helicopter?

If the problem is actually the amt. of weight the helicopter can carry at once, the decision of who stays behind would depend on if I have the best chance of survival compared to the other 4 on the rope. If I'm most likely to survive, sure, I'll stay behind, (and this is of course assuming the helicopter will be coming back). If I see no immediate danger in the situation, and I am physically able to handle it, I wouldn't mind being left alone. Actually, I'd probably try to convince one of the others to stay with me so that the groups are more even and the rescue is safer.

EDIT: Also, why would I cut the rope? Wouldn't it be easier to just let go?

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Frankly, if the helicopter is hovering and the problem is with the rope, why doesn't everyone climb one by one up the rope ladder into the helicopter?

If the problem is actually the amt. of weight the helicopter can carry at once, the decision of who stays behind would depend on if I have the best chance of survival compared to the other 4 on the rope. If I'm most likely to survive, sure, I'll stay behind, (and this is of course assuming the helicopter will be coming back). If I see no immediate danger in the situation, and I am physically able to handle it, I wouldn't mind being left alone. Actually, I'd probably try to convince one of the others to stay with me so that the groups are more even and the rescue is safer.

that would work except there is are no second rounds as the weather is worseing and conditions are too dangerous

also, staying behind might not be an option else a group rescue wouldn't be required in the first place

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx

Maybe because everyone is too weak to climb? Of course, that would make you wonder how you got 5 people on the ladder if they were incapable of climbing. It's a flaw in the question. I personally chose to answer the concept behind the question rather than nit-pick at it's impracticalities.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Maybe because everyone is too weak to climb? Of course, that would make you wonder how you got 5 people on the ladder if they were incapable of climbing. It's a flaw in the question. I personally chose to answer the concept behind the question rather than nit-pick at it's impracticalities.

something happened that they need to be rescued like weather worsening so climb is now impossible

only way for extraction is climbing the ladder...

thanks for assuming the minor shit...makes life much easier though of course, hypothetical situation doesn't really help with real life

Lightning_Rider

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The TC creator is basically asking if you would give your life up for 4 other people or if you would force them to die with you.

Well obviously I would let them live. If I am going to die either way.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm assuming we die if we don't fly away? That being the case, there is only one logical decision here, that being to cut the rope and stay alone. If you are going to die in either case, then you might as well let the others live. As an added benefit, by cutting the rope you will go down as a hero.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Stay on the rope, no question. I'm the first one who voted for it too, but I'm being honest, I know it sounds selfish but I would want to live so badly in this situation.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Grrr, this question is frustrating me...lol. Ok, fine...I'll try not to nitpick the details as I see the overarching point of this scenario, but honestly, you have to give me a darned good reason to give up my life. I don't care about being a dead hero...I'd rather be an alive hero that figured out a way to get us all out of the situation safely. Likely, I would completely exhaust all other possibilities before giving up. In my mind, I really don't see a scenario like this happening because I am not one that gives up.

Also, I don't know that I'd want to be climbing a mountain with people who would see my life as that disposable....

If push came to shove and I was the last one on the ladder, I'd probably begrudgingly be the one to stay behind. However, I'd take the jackets and usable gear from the other people on the rope and try to survive the inclement weather until they can get back up there for me. I mean, I'm giving up my best chances, they better recognize! I don't watch "Man vs. Wild" for nothing! Also, while I hate to play the gender card, being that I am a female I'm hoping some guy would give up his place and not leave a woman behind.

Also, I still refuse to vote in the poll.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
How funny Recoleta, I didn't vote either. The part that's funniest about this question is it assumes you have a very short time to make decisions and think things through - if something similar happened I am MOST likely to not quite work my way through the scenario and figure out options in time. Sad, but true.

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
My observations:

SJs: Most (but not all) answered the question at face value. This is probably due to a willingness to stick to the rules, even with a hypothetical question. The majority of those who chose to "cut" were not choosing death, though. They thoroughly believed that the rescue group would come back. And if the rescue crew had an SJ leader, this suggests they actually would. It would not occur to them to give up on a life out there. Also, the SJs saw the stupidity in cutting the rope at all. They would just let go.

NFs: Also thought cutting the rope was stupid and asked a lot of questions. One was willing to jump unless pregnant, which is interesting. Talk about thinking it through, who would even think of that? NFs wanted to know who was on the ladder, and displayed a willingness to knock off people they harbored a hatred towards. They also wondered why they would have to sacrifice themselves, why they had to be the hero. Suggestions were made regarding rope order (fittest would be in last place), which would increase chances of survival should the worst happen. None seemed to question the fact that the rescue crew wouldn't come back (correct me if I'm wrong... I'm unwilling to read the entire thread again). Perhaps NFs have seen enough of humanity's dark side to expect such things. "We all have feet made of clay" is supposedly an SP type saying, but maybe that's also true of NFs.

NTs: Immediately picked at holes in the scenario, requiring them to be filled in, only to be defied by a work around of some kind. When their problem-solving was discouraged and they were urged to answer the question at face value, they said the question was pointless because any question that attempts to measure moral fiber is all talk, we all think we would act one way, when we would actually have to be there in that moment to find out what we would do in reality. NTs showed a lot of avoidance regarding knocking others off (in my opinion), though they didn't disregard it as a possibility in the heat of the moment. NFs actually seemed to be more aggressive in that manner, claiming that they would be willing to leave someone else on the mountain if it was someone who deserved life less than themselves. One NT claimed they would make sure all of them stayed so that they could kill them off, take their clothes and use them to insure their survival. I think this was a demonstration of their ability to work through the situation using only cold logic, not to be taken at all seriously.

SPs: The STPs wanted to know what gear they had and chances of survival. Picked at holes in the hypothetical situation. Stated that they wouldn't be there in the first place. One said he'd make the whole group stay, since it's easier to survive within a group (he didn't seem to be considering them as potential sources of nourishment). The SFPs also questioned the situation. One said they'd stay if they knocked another guy down for food to survive until the rescue crew came back. Another said they wouldn't be on the bottom in the first place and they'd basically do whatever it took to survive. All SPs questioned the stupidity of the crew in one form or another for the most part, except Jeffster, who yelled something rather random in the thread and then didn't say anything further. Once the clarifying questions had been answered and the problem-solving was through the thread became boring and irrelevant due to the SPs coming to the exact same conclusion as the NTs regarding questions about morality. This may be due to the fact that only STPs replied afterward.

SJs, any thoughts?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
My thought is that there was mostly a distinction between Ts and Fs as how to respond to the question. (probably because this was a judgment question) While both sides picked at the holes in the questions, the Ts seemed more inclined to let go/cut the rope, while the Fs had more or less the opposite response. (theoretically, you'd be better off playing Russian Roulette than being on a rope ladder with an F.) If there were to be further experimentation using questions like this, I would advise asking people to identify with their T or F function, not their temperament.

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Cut the rope. I can save myself, but those losers can't.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I voted that I would drop off, but there are a lot of variables. Who are these people ahead of me and what do I know about them? If I'm climbing an "icy mountain" wouldn't I, being a sensible SJ ;), plan ahead and pack 3 days worth of emergency supplies should the weather go bad? :huh: