User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 75

Thread: Ask the ISTJ

  1. #1

    Default Ask the ISTJ

    So, since I hear that ISTJ's are so hard to figure out... You can ask us any question here, and we (or at least I) will try to enlighten you.

    Fire away!
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

  2. #2
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    All right: When someone challenges your mindset on something (or proceeds to knock down as many of your points as they can), does it bother you on a personal level? Or is it just an intellectual conflict and thus "business"?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    All right: When someone challenges your mindset on something (or proceeds to knock down as many of your points as they can), does it bother you on a personal level? Or is it just an intellectual conflict and thus "business"?
    It depends on what the topic being discussed is. But yes, there are quite a few (mostly pertaining to politics, morals, and religion) that I guess you could say bother me on a personal level. With most other things, I'm pretty good at not getting knocked down.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

  4. #4
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    What kind of compliments flatter you most?

    Be specific. And I've read all the PUMII wrt the SJs. So, just like I will own up to brimming with feel-goodness when someone calls me a genius who never follows the crowd and always does her own thing, what really makes you feel great that people recognize about you?
    What do you want to be seen as?

    Be specific. (And to an ISTJ, this means don't leave stuff out on purpose, as opposed to a reminder to include the details)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  5. #5
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    It depends on what the topic being discussed is. But yes, there are quite a few (mostly pertaining to politics, morals, and religion) that I guess you could say bother me on a personal level. With most other things, I'm pretty good at not getting knocked down.
    You seem so far to be dealing with any discussion here well enough and have seemed to take everything in stride (most notably the religious conversations). Was that the case, or were we a little too hard about things?

    You just seem very resilient and tough, like the other ISTJ women I have known; but I wanted to make sure that I was not misreading things. (Since the goal was not to make anyone feel bad.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lookin4theBestNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Posts
    801

    Default

    If your best friend asks you to tell them the complete truth are you more likely to a) tell it how you truly see it b) soften it up because it's your best friend c) avoid it if possible?
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    What kind of compliments flatter you most?

    Be specific. And I've read all the PUMII wrt the SJs. So, just like I will own up to brimming with feel-goodness when someone calls me a genius who never follows the crowd and always does her own thing, what really makes you feel great that people recognize about you?
    What do you want to be seen as?

    Be specific. (And to an ISTJ, this means don't leave stuff out on purpose, as opposed to a reminder to include the details)
    Well, personally - and once again, I don't know if I'm speaking for all ISTJs or not - the thing I would most like to hear is that I am liked/likeable... which is a stretch sometimes... lol. ...or that people admire me for the way I do things... or that I have been an inspiration.

    Now, compliments on looks, smarts, etc. are fine; but I guess these other areas are the ones I tend to question myself about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You seem so far to be dealing with any discussion here well enough and have seemed to take everything in stride (most notably the religious conversations). Was that the case, or were we a little too hard about things?

    You just seem very resilient and tough, like the other ISTJ women I have known; but I wanted to make sure that I was not misreading things. (Since the goal was not to make anyone feel bad.)
    Let me clarify this. It bothers me when I am being contronted with points I can't debunk in a religious debate. Personally, I haven't found any of those here yet. Sure, there are people on here who have different opinions of who Jesus is, for example, but they didn't really address the dispute to me. It's just their personal opinion. You should've seen me in Relgion class though (college course). THAT ticked me off, and the professor and I got into it a couple times. lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    If your best friend asks you to tell them the complete truth are you more likely to a) tell it how you truly see it b) soften it up because it's your best friend c) avoid it if possible?
    Once again, it depends on what exactly they want to know. I have had times where I haven't been completely honest with very close friends, basically to protect myself; but I think this comes from how much I learned to lie as a teenager because it was what was best for me. However, I have also learned since then that, as hard as it can be, it's better to be honest in the first place, especially when your best friend is a prophet, lol. (no joke).

    Now, I have been known for being brutally honest; and, alot of times, with friends, it's mostly 'cause I don't see where it will hurt them ('cause I don't think it would hurt me) but sometimes it does.

    And then there are times where I do simply omit things...
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

  8. #8
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Well, personally - and once again, I don't know if I'm speaking for all ISTJs or not - the thing I would most like to hear is that I am liked/likeable...
    Not that I am buttering you up... but I do think you are very likable!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #9
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    What about "competent"?

    I keep telling my ISTJ people that they're really competent. Because they are. Is taht just me projecting toward others what I want to hear of myself? Does that really resonate with you, or is it just a nice compliment?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Not that I am buttering you up... but I do think you are very likable!
    *ISTJ is flattered.*

    See... it's just that easy, lol.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTJ] Ask an ISTJ.
    By The Iron Giant in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 05-31-2014, 08:05 PM
  2. [ISTJ] Could the ISTJ be considered a Rational personality?
    By Delta223 in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM
  3. [ISTJ] The ISTJ exception?
    By Santosha in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
  4. [ISTJ] Home and the ISTJ
    By Rachelinpa in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
  5. [ISTJ] Sending Love and Peace to all the ISTJ's
    By hermeticdancer in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO