User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Ask the ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
    Say you are an engineer. As an INTP, I decide to use a certain tool for a different function. Does it piss you off? Or would you do the same?
    Eh... if it was smart enough, I'd probably admire it. But if you go and try to do things the hard way (i.e. cutting wood with a screw driver...) I'd probably be slightly disgusted by your ignorance.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I am in fact interested in the "How do you become the organization that an ISTJ takes the orders of" question, because a similar process probably works for other people, and it sounds like a good skill to have.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    I am in fact interested in the "How do you become the organization that an ISTJ takes the orders of" question, because a similar process probably works for other people, and it sounds like a good skill to have.
    This question really makes me laugh a bit (and this is not meant to be taken at all as a personal attack to Zergling or Wolf...so don't get mad with me). But for one, we are certainly not all the same...who you decide to follow or what you decide to believe in depends greatly on your personal beliefs and values (as with any person of any type...not just ISTJ's). Although ISTJ's are perhaps perceived as people who "just follow the rules because someone in authority said so" I find that statement absolutely ridiculous. We are not mindless drones who just take orders from those in "authority." We are perfectly capable of thinking for ourselves thankyouverymuch. It's just so funny that every single person reading this thread takes orders from someone else in some respect, and yet, it's the ISTJ's that always seem to get called out for it.

Now, on the one hand, if I willingly take a job and someone is paying me to perform a specific job/task that we have agreed upon I find it in my duty to hold up my end of the bargain to the best of my ability. A contract has been made...and as ya'll have read probably many times, "The ISTJ's word is his/her contract and we honor them." We are also fiercely loyal people...if you have made it into "our inner circle" it means we probably trust you with our lives. Our loyalties run deep, but we do not trust easily. Basically, so long as the person we made an agreement with upholds their end, we will do the same.

Now, as for that silly accusation that ISTJ's "are always doing the bidding of their masters...you know, the usual: exterminating jews, oppressing people, torturing and burning heretics at the stake, executing prisoners, checking identification papers, calling numbers at government facilities, burning witches, insisting you take your shoes off at security checkpoints, and always telling people that your superiors (or God(s)) told you to do it..." ummmmmmm I'm pretty sure that ISTJ's are not exclusive to that at all. And I'm sure you were joking around and all, but any person would do what the other person said if you were given the choice, "Do this or die." I watched a video about that kind of thing in my Research Methods Class...pretty interesting stuff BTW. I know the video is on YouTube, but I can't remember the name...maybe I'll look for it later and post the link.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Eh... if it was smart enough, I'd probably admire it. But if you go and try to do things the hard way (i.e. cutting wood with a screw driver...) I'd probably be slightly disgusted by your ignorance.
    ISTJ's tend to make great engineers. In other words, you are are smart enough . I was referring to this passage of the wikipedia entry which has always struck me as quite off.

As a practical example, consider the two types known as the introverted Thinkers (ISTP and INTP). They share dominant introverted Thinking, which gives them a solid interior grasp of the underlying principles of life. The ISTPs with their preference of extraverted Sensing, love understanding physical, mechanical systems. The INTPs, for their part, love understanding theoretical systems through their extraverted iNtuition. ISTPs are often very capable in using whatever materials are at hand in their building projects, using available tools to their full capabilities to serve their goals, through their extraverted Sensing. INTPs, at the same time, are often good at using physical tools, but here they also use their intuition to solve problems. An INTP is not shy about using a tool for something other than its original purpose, or creating a new tool to serve a desired purpose. INTPs cause no end of frustration to ISTPs ESTPs, ESTJs and ISTJs with this improvisation, as despite their best effort they cannot make the same intuitive leaps which come naturally to the INTP. On the other hand, they are quick to smugly point out when the INTP must stop in the middle of a project to puzzle over the previously discarded instructions, which the -ST- read at the start.[1]

MBTI
    INTP

Are you familiar with the Enneagram? If so, what is your type on there? I will go head and ask the question I wanted to ask. If you are an Enneagram 5, do you readily discern what people are about to say before they say it?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

So, how do I locate and control my own ISTJs?
    Easy to control an ISTJ. Just get an extremely hot woman to seduce him. Works for me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
    Are you familiar with the Enneagram? If so, what is your type on there? I will go head and ask the question I wanted to ask. If you are an Enneagram 5, do you readily discern what people are about to say before they say it?
    I think I'm a 5. And, no, not really, not that I've noticed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sona View Post
    Easy to control an ISTJ. Just get an extremely hot woman to seduce him. Works for me all the time.
    Umm... I'm a female. And, no, that wouldn't work, even with a guy. I'm also a finance major though. That's why I suggested the pay.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

*chuckles to himself*
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ

If I were going to compliment you on a piece of work you had just completed would you prefer that I told you: "That was well done. Good job." or "Wow, amazing! What a great job!"

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    If I were going to compliment you on a piece of work you had just completed would you prefer that I told you: "That was well done. Good job." or "Wow, amazing! What a great job!"
    Hmm... once again, I speak for myself... I think I'd probably prefer the latter, as long as it was sincere. Now, if that's gonna be fake, I prefer the first.