User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Ask the ISTJ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Not that I am buttering you up... but I do think you are very likable!
    x2!!

You're very helpful, too.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    What about "competent"?

I keep telling my ISTJ people that they're really competent. Because they are. Is taht just me projecting toward others what I want to hear of myself? Does that really resonate with you, or is it just a nice compliment?
    Umm... like I said, those kind of compliments are cool, but frankly... we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    x2!!

You're very helpful, too.
    Eh? is this just 'cause I'm letting you in on some secrets today (that I'm not even 100% sure apply to all ISTJs)?
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Umm... like I said, those kind of compliments are cool, but frankly... we know.

Eh? is this just 'cause I'm letting you in on some secrets today (that I'm not even 100% sure apply to all ISTJs)?
    Yes. This is the only information I have on you re: your helpfulness.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP

Why do you think ISTJs and INFPs hook up so often?

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Why do you think ISTJs and INFPs hook up so often?
    Is that a question about my personal opinion that ISTJ goes well with INFP, or are you asking me to explain a reason for a pattern you've observed?
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

MBTI
    INFP

Is that a question about my personal opinion that ISTJ goes well with INFP, or are you asking me to explain a reason for a pattern you've observed?
    Both. I've noticed it as a bit of a pattern, and as an ISTJ married to an INFP yourself I thought you might be able to shed some light on the subject.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't know. Maybe it is because you are simply open to answer questions very matter-of-factly?

Many other types of people avoid direct answers, but I see ISTJ women often being very direct and practical and realistic when they answer questions (as long as the question is not a taboo/inappropriate one -- whereupon they will still often say, "I'm not going to answer, that's inappropriate" ... so you still know what they're thinking!)... so easy to get a real answer from as opposed to others who will often just say what you want to hear or dance around the question if it is too personal.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Both. I've noticed it as a bit of a pattern, and as an ISTJ married to an INFP yourself I thought you might be able to shed some light on the subject.
    Honestly, I have no idea. I had no idea he was an INFP 'til I tested him; and, by then, I already had secret plans to marry. lol. With limited knowledge of the actual "letter" characteristics of an INFP, let me give it a shot by some guessing/speculation.

First of all, he's an introvert; and I am so introverted myself that extraverts tend to repel/exhaust me.

Secondly, well, I really don't know how N plays into it; and I don't know all that much about N or value it that much, based on what I do know of it.

Thirdly, as you may have seen in my post on aspirations, I recognize excessive thinking as one of my weaknesses and admire the F's ability to be more caring than I am naturally.

And, once again, I don't know too much about P.

The main things that attracted me to my INFP (in chronological order, not by importance) were:
    His sense of humor
    His ability to relate to me quite well.
    His willingness to (eventually) talk to me and not think he was better than I am like most tend to. (Maybe this is a misconception.)
    And just how nice, caring, and polite he is.

And of course there's more, but that's just what caught my attention at first.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Ok, I guess I'll jump in here. For the most part, I agree with everything Randsomed said.

As far as when someone challenges my mindset, just like Ransomed said, it depends on the situation. For religious-type debates, I try not to let what anyone says affect me personally. I know what I believe and exactly why I believe it and anything they say will likely not change my mind. I'll be perfectly willing to listen, share my views, and even debate a bit, but in the end of it all the choice of religion is something deeply personal to every individual. You can't force someone to believe the same as you so I try not to take it personally. For other types of debates though (ones that I might be "on the fence about" or am still developing a full opinion on)...if my ideas are getting knocked down all over the place I am likely to get flustered and be mad with myself for not being as well prepared as my opponent...but that really doesn't happen too often

As for complements, I like it when people recognize how hard I work. I'm really a pretty low-key and "behind the scenes" type of person, so it's nice to get a pat on the back every once in awhile. I also like when people say that I'm genuine and they feel like they can really trust me and tell me anything. As for competence, yeah, that will work too...but for some reason, it means a whole lot more when it comes from a male saying it. If a female says it, I'd be more likely to think, "Yeah, I already know that..." I really think complimenting our less-noted qualities is way more flattering than the obvious ones. I love it when people tell me that I'm funny (because most people don't understand or appreciate my dry/sarcastic/witty humor). When I can find someone that really enjoys and understands my humor, life is wonderful!

Finally, as for telling a friend the complete truth, it depends on how long I have known the friend and if I think they can handle the truth. If they outright tell me they want the truth, I will give it to them. If I don't think they can handle the full truth I will try to soften the blow as much as possible, but try to give them advice or suggestions. Although, I usually try to give them the truth by using some humor or sarcasm mixed in...I've found that humor is a good way to keep things from going sour. Also, if I'm critiquing them truthfully, I'd be sure to point out some of the positive qualities that I see in them.

Alright, y'all, I'm about to go to church (within the next 30-ish minutes). So, I will be out for a couple hours, but I'll definitely check by here again sometime after I get back. So, don't be disappointed if you stop getting answers so quickly for a bit here.