User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Default ISTJs - Why so serious?

I hate to use a cliche'd question, but it's the most fitting.

I do not know of any ISTJs in the wild, I can't type them, I haven't had any behavior patterns to follow. I do have two ISTJ traits that scream on the surface online.

Very serious in work AND play (big emphasis on that last one)
    Very adamant about staying serious

More importantly when I go to prod the suspects in question, they tell me how laid back they are.

Anyone care to bite?
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISXJ

I think on the surface, ISTJs are very serious. Most people that know ISTJs probably only know them on somewhat of a superficial level. On this level, all people are basically treated equally, and interactions are fairly limited to only what is necessary (asking questions, getting responses, etc.) I hate having to waste my time on unnecessary conversations or gossip especially if I'm never going to talk to the person again.

In order for me to notice someone, they honestly have to repeatedly be in my life in some way. I take in data about people over time and eventually form opinions and thoughts from what I have observed. If I like what I see, I will either initiate a friendly conversation or the other person will take the initiative. Honestly, I don't think I'm a difficult person to get to know...it's just that I have to have time to get to know you a little first before I become "un-robotic" around you. I definitely one of those people who warms up to ya. Perhaps that is why ISTJs like organizations so much -- it allows us a chance to interact with the same people in a variety of circumstances. I know most of my friends come from class or work -- places where I see them regularly.

So anyway, those that don't really know me (or that I don't really like based on my observations) probably see me as being really business-oriented and serious. My true friends know better. Once I warm up to you I am really laid back and goofy. I joke around and laugh constantly with my real friends. As for being serious during play -- I don't really think I am. I suppose I'm probably more reserved than the average person, but that's just how I am naturally. If you really wanna know what goes on in the mind of an ISTJ, get to know them well, and then get them tipsy. Hilariousness will ensue.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    I think on the surface, ISTJs are very serious. Most people that know ISTJs probably only know them on somewhat of a superficial level. On this level, all people are basically treated equally, and interactions are fairly limited to only what is necessary (asking questions, getting responses, etc.) I hate having to waste my time on unnecessary conversations or gossip especially if I'm never going to talk to the person again.

In order for me to notice someone, they honestly have to repeatedly be in my life in some way. I take in data about people over time and eventually form opinions and thoughts from what I have observed. If I like what I see, I will either initiate a friendly conversation or the other person will take the initiative. Honestly, I don't think I'm a difficult person to get to know...it's just that I have to have time to get to know you a little first before I become "un-robotic" around you. I definitely one of those people who warms up to ya. Perhaps that is why ISTJs like organizations so much -- it allows us a chance to interact with the same people in a variety of circumstances. I know most of my friends come from class or work -- places where I see them regularly.

So anyway, those that don't really know me (or that I don't really like based on my observations) probably see me as being really business-oriented and serious. My true friends know better. Once I warm up to you I am really laid back and goofy. I joke around and laugh constantly with my real friends. As for being serious during play -- I don't really think I am. I suppose I'm probably more reserved than the average person, but that's just how I am naturally. If you really wanna know what goes on in the mind of an ISTJ, get to know them well, and then get them tipsy. Hilariousness will ensue.
    Thank you for your response, this confirms my own experience on the matter.
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

My son is a 14 yr old ISTJ.

He is so laid back it isn't funny. He is Mr serious about everything to the point i have called him 'mum'. He is a little dictator because people should behave a particular way.He has no sense of adventure, someone has invited him to go to Snowdonia during the summer holidays. He won't go as he will not have his bed and electricity (camping). The only time he seems focused is when he is playing his 360.
    On the up side though, this kid has a wicked sense of humour. He loves winding me up something rotten and i give as good as i get and he has a heart of gold, his friends keep on taking the piss out of him, he just puts up with it until he gets pissed himself and walks away. He has never been in trouble, he just plods through life. It is refreshing.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ISTx

I can be pretty damn laid back myself. Just depends on the setting.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

ISTJs often mistake "calm" for "laid back".

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

More importantly when I go to prod the suspects in question, they tell me how laid back they are.
    I think being "serious" can be mistaken as being "too serious" and causes some to be defensive. Most people do not want to be typed as "too serious" cause that often means "no fun." My ISTJ roommate is pretty "laidback" in the sense that he will defer to what other people want to do (recreationally). He doesn't usually initate these activities and it's true that he isn't so serious about his way being the only way.

He cares about his finances being in order and being orderly, but he doesn't push this on other people. In other words, he might be serious about his life, but he does not let that influence how serious other people are about theirs. And in fact, I think he admires (and perhaps wishes he were more like) people who are able to let loose and be crazy... which is why we are such good friends.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post

This is very similar to my ways.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ISTJ

I don't think I'm too serious. I may seem it, but once you start talking to me you will soon see my humor. I am laid back though. Like Beat said, it depends on the setting and the subject of the matter. If I am making serious decisions or quelling an argument/altercation between two people (or myself and another), I will surely come off as "too serious". :rolli:

If I am hanging out with friends, I will usually be much more laid back. However, I do get the occasional "why are you so serious?" from them. At that point I just flip my humor switch and the seriousness is gone... temporarily of course.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    istj
    Enneagram

Serious cat? Nooooo....

Tell me more about this "in the wild"...