• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs - Why so serious?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I'm pretty sure my past roommate is an ISTJ. At first I was kind of put-off by her because her personality could have been described as very "dry" and orthodox, but after getting to know her I found that around certain people she could be really silly and funny. But that was only around people she really liked.
I can relate to this description. Among strangers I'm very serious and reserved. Maybe a bit of humor related to word play, but nothing too humorous. In contrast, it's a completely different story around my close circle of friends.

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I just showed an ISTJ this video and they didn't laugh. Just said it was stupid. OMG!!!!! Explain yourselves, NOW!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJOVPjhXMY&feature=related"]Star Wars Kid[/YOUTUBE]

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I just showed an ISTJ this video and they didn't laugh. Just said it was stupid. OMG!!!!! Explain yourselves, NOW!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJOVPjhXMY&feature=related"]Star Wars Kid[/YOUTUBE]
That video IS stupid.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx

You're an ENFP... Understand that we're everything you're not.

I find it more of sad than funny. Perhaps interesting, but not humorous by any measure.

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
You're an ENFP... Understand that we're everything you're not.

I find it more of sad than funny. Perhaps interesting, but not humorous by any measure.

Sad! Why? You feel sorry for the kid? The only thing he's done wrong is post something a lot of us did or still do to youtube in a video. Pfft...

Of course, I wore a yellow pokedot bikini and sang "She Wore A Yellow..." on stage in front of the entire HS my senior year, and never batted an eye... sooo.. perhaps I don't understand the concept of being mortified by such.. I do see that some do.

You've never played around like that before? Come on! Hell, I still do it today. I may go grab a stick and head for the back yard with my son today, for that matter!

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
If there is no purpose, then why bother? I always have a purpose, even if it's as simple as doing something for the experience.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Sad! Why? You feel sorry for the kid? The only thing he's done wrong is post something a lot of us did or still do to youtube in a video. Pfft...

Of course, I wore a yellow pokedot bikini and sang "She Wore A Yellow..." on stage in front of the entire HS my senior year, and never batted an eye... sooo.. perhaps I don't understand the concept of being mortified by such.. I do see that some do.

You've never played around like that before? Come on! Hell, I still do it today. I may go grab a stick and head for the back yard with my son today, for that matter!
/entp moment

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Just for the record, I don't think that kid in the video was funny. Maybe if he had better acting skills or something. He didn't even look drunk. :mellow:

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
That video IS stupid.

Just for the record, I don't think that kid in the video was funny. Maybe if he had better acting skills or something. He didn't even look drunk. :mellow:

Soooo not the point! (He's NOT an actor, nor trying to be! He's trying to film himself looking bad ass with a fake sword! THAT is the point.) Perhaps the context of the original video would be helpful? Sigh... you know, everyone at the office thought it was hysterical. Hmmm... Office would be INTP's, INTJ's and perhaps an ESFP, I think? Very odd that the humor does not carry over. We're all over 35 and under 50 years old too, don't know if that makes a difference. Hmm... or other factors? We all watched this one first, then the remake. Perhaps that makes a big difference... or other factors? Hmmm (suspicious) - You guys are draining my fun factor...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU"]Original[/YOUTUBE]

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
And therefore, so am I? :cry:

*runs for the light at the end of the dreary tunnel of no fun allowed*
I'm told ENFPs pull this with ESTPs frequently. But c'mon, you can't appeal to me emotionally, it just doesn't work.

[Edit] Just so show I have some humor related to Star Wars. Do you know what I found funny? I mean really funny?

Star Wars Episode 1 - the Phantom Menace.

Not only did Jar Jar Binks come in breaking the shallow ego of many Star Wars fans (myself included, George Lucas is probably laughing right now),

They introduced Midchlorians (or whatever they called it). Not just anyone could become a Jedi Knight anymore, they had to be born with it, and they still had to be trained! The fans pitched a fit, they mooed and they baaed.

I loled.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
rainoneventide said:
I'm pretty sure my past roommate is an ISTJ. At first I was kind of put-off by her because her personality could have been described as very "dry" and orthodox, but after getting to know her I found that around certain people she could be really silly and funny. But that was only around people she really liked.
I can relate to this description. Among strangers I'm very serious and reserved. Maybe a bit of humor related to word play, but nothing too humorous. In contrast, it's a completely different story around my close circle of friends.

Yeah, I'm exactly like that. Around people I don't know I'm extremely quiet and am not eager to talk but around people I know well and like, then I'm the life of the party.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

That video was funny.

uberrogo

MBTI Type
istj
I think on the surface, ISTJs are very serious. Most people that know ISTJs probably only know them on somewhat of a superficial level. On this level, all people are basically treated equally, and interactions are fairly limited to only what is necessary (asking questions, getting responses, etc.) I hate having to waste my time on unnecessary conversations or gossip especially if I'm never going to talk to the person again.

In order for me to notice someone, they honestly have to repeatedly be in my life in some way. I take in data about people over time and eventually form opinions and thoughts from what I have observed. If I like what I see, I will either initiate a friendly conversation or the other person will take the initiative. Honestly, I don't think I'm a difficult person to get to know...it's just that I have to have time to get to know you a little first before I become "un-robotic" around you. I definitely one of those people who warms up to ya. Perhaps that is why ISTJs like organizations so much -- it allows us a chance to interact with the same people in a variety of circumstances. I know most of my friends come from class or work -- places where I see them regularly.

So anyway, those that don't really know me (or that I don't really like based on my observations) probably see me as being really business-oriented and serious. My true friends know better. Once I warm up to you I am really laid back and goofy. I joke around and laugh constantly with my real friends. As for being serious during play -- I don't really think I am. I suppose I'm probably more reserved than the average person, but that's just how I am naturally. If you really wanna know what goes on in the mind of an ISTJ, get to know them well, and then get them tipsy. Hilariousness will ensue. :)

This describes me very well. People who think I am serious all the time don't know me.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I remember once I asked an istj what his favorite color was..I believe his response was "Stop asking me stupid questions..." I still have no idea what his favorite color is (I honestly think he might not have one)..

I only asked him because I knew it would annoy him..

I would say istjs are very close to being my favorite type. Yes, in my experience istjs tend to be very serious. They can be laid back but even that laid-backness comes with a degree of seriousness. I really like the istj seriousness because it seems to me like it's a standard they set only for themselves. They are perfectly willing to let you indulge in your silliness as long as it's not affecting their mood. They don't seem to judge you by their standards...or maybe they just recognize that their standards and your standards aren't the same..and that's ok...at least to a point. They also seem willing to let you criticize their standards to a point (although if you push too hard you're liable to get your ass beat).

And istjs can be extremely funny.

I enjoy the company of istjs but I get the sense that the feeling isn't mutual.

KDude

Forget Star Wars kid. The funniest Star Wars character IS an ISTJ.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YwLQSTo_ow]/[/youtube]