• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs - Why so serious?

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I hate to use a cliche'd question, but it's the most fitting.

I do not know of any ISTJs in the wild, I can't type them, I haven't had any behavior patterns to follow. I do have two ISTJ traits that scream on the surface online.

Very serious in work AND play (big emphasis on that last one)
Very adamant about staying serious

More importantly when I go to prod the suspects in question, they tell me how laid back they are.

Anyone care to bite?

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I think on the surface, ISTJs are very serious. Most people that know ISTJs probably only know them on somewhat of a superficial level. On this level, all people are basically treated equally, and interactions are fairly limited to only what is necessary (asking questions, getting responses, etc.) I hate having to waste my time on unnecessary conversations or gossip especially if I'm never going to talk to the person again.

In order for me to notice someone, they honestly have to repeatedly be in my life in some way. I take in data about people over time and eventually form opinions and thoughts from what I have observed. If I like what I see, I will either initiate a friendly conversation or the other person will take the initiative. Honestly, I don't think I'm a difficult person to get to know...it's just that I have to have time to get to know you a little first before I become "un-robotic" around you. I definitely one of those people who warms up to ya. Perhaps that is why ISTJs like organizations so much -- it allows us a chance to interact with the same people in a variety of circumstances. I know most of my friends come from class or work -- places where I see them regularly.

So anyway, those that don't really know me (or that I don't really like based on my observations) probably see me as being really business-oriented and serious. My true friends know better. Once I warm up to you I am really laid back and goofy. I joke around and laugh constantly with my real friends. As for being serious during play -- I don't really think I am. I suppose I'm probably more reserved than the average person, but that's just how I am naturally. If you really wanna know what goes on in the mind of an ISTJ, get to know them well, and then get them tipsy. Hilariousness will ensue. :)

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I think on the surface, ISTJs are very serious. Most people that know ISTJs probably only know them on somewhat of a superficial level. On this level, all people are basically treated equally, and interactions are fairly limited to only what is necessary (asking questions, getting responses, etc.) I hate having to waste my time on unnecessary conversations or gossip especially if I'm never going to talk to the person again.

In order for me to notice someone, they honestly have to repeatedly be in my life in some way. I take in data about people over time and eventually form opinions and thoughts from what I have observed. If I like what I see, I will either initiate a friendly conversation or the other person will take the initiative. Honestly, I don't think I'm a difficult person to get to know...it's just that I have to have time to get to know you a little first before I become "un-robotic" around you. I definitely one of those people who warms up to ya. Perhaps that is why ISTJs like organizations so much -- it allows us a chance to interact with the same people in a variety of circumstances. I know most of my friends come from class or work -- places where I see them regularly.

So anyway, those that don't really know me (or that I don't really like based on my observations) probably see me as being really business-oriented and serious. My true friends know better. Once I warm up to you I am really laid back and goofy. I joke around and laugh constantly with my real friends. As for being serious during play -- I don't really think I am. I suppose I'm probably more reserved than the average person, but that's just how I am naturally. If you really wanna know what goes on in the mind of an ISTJ, get to know them well, and then get them tipsy. Hilariousness will ensue. :)
Thank you for your response, this confirms my own experience on the matter.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
My son is a 14 yr old ISTJ.

He is so laid back it isn't funny. He is Mr serious about everything to the point i have called him 'mum'. He is a little dictator because people should behave a particular way.He has no sense of adventure, someone has invited him to go to Snowdonia during the summer holidays. He won't go as he will not have his bed and electricity (camping). The only time he seems focused is when he is playing his 360.
On the up side though, this kid has a wicked sense of humour. He loves winding me up something rotten and i give as good as i get and he has a heart of gold, his friends keep on taking the piss out of him, he just puts up with it until he gets pissed himself and walks away. He has never been in trouble, he just plods through life. It is refreshing. :)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I can be pretty damn laid back myself. Just depends on the setting.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTJs often mistake "calm" for "laid back".

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
More importantly when I go to prod the suspects in question, they tell me how laid back they are.

I think being "serious" can be mistaken as being "too serious" and causes some to be defensive. Most people do not want to be typed as "too serious" cause that often means "no fun." My ISTJ roommate is pretty "laidback" in the sense that he will defer to what other people want to do (recreationally). He doesn't usually initate these activities and it's true that he isn't so serious about his way being the only way.

He cares about his finances being in order and being orderly, but he doesn't push this on other people. In other words, he might be serious about his life, but he does not let that influence how serious other people are about theirs. And in fact, I think he admires (and perhaps wishes he were more like) people who are able to let loose and be crazy... which is why we are such good friends. :)

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

This is very similar to my ways.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't think I'm too serious. I may seem it, but once you start talking to me you will soon see my humor. I am laid back though. Like Beat said, it depends on the setting and the subject of the matter. If I am making serious decisions or quelling an argument/altercation between two people (or myself and another), I will surely come off as "too serious". :rolli:

If I am hanging out with friends, I will usually be much more laid back. However, I do get the occasional "why are you so serious?" from them. At that point I just flip my humor switch and the seriousness is gone... temporarily of course. ;)

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
istjunexcitement.jpg

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
LOL at the picture.

ISTJs often mistake "calm" for "laid back".

Right on, I'm afraid. At least in my case I really do think that because I am not causing drama/being loud/bugging people that I am laid back. However, the vast majority of people I have asked or who have volunteered tell me emphatically that I am intense. That and the fact that we are quiet until we trust someone and so appear shallow and then, BAM, we dump a whole bunch of thoughts on the poor person at once, can make us disconcerting to deal with. My sister is an ENFP and she is a very smart girl. However, she thinks that "analyzing things" makes her head hurt (really, she actually analyzes a lot more than she realizes) and maybe it just is weird for people to be around someone that is so calm but gives off a lot of thinking/processing vibes ALL the time. I don't know how NOT to analyze everything, though! Just my thoughts after discussing this sort of thing recently...

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm just not sure what you mean by serious. I always viewed Fe or ExxJs as being so fucking serious. Taking into consideration other people is a large energy expenditure to me, and when I think of it, it makes me think of my mother telling me when I was younger to do something just to be nice to someone. ExxJs are constantly evaluating their environment and telling you what is out of order. I don't really care that much. It's more about that I have my own personal goals, and I use the structure to accomplish those goals, rather than focusing on structure as a priority. Is it society's definition of "serious" as not wanting constantly socialize or participate in something that has order as a goal? I actually really like socializing and enjoy recreational activities. It's just very specific.

In terms of socializing, I prefer very few and very intimate connections rather than a slew of friends. I find enjoyment in focusing my efforts greatly on a specific person. This makes me end up becoming more "obsessed" with someone as I enjoy the focus.

For instance, I went to visit my grandparents, cousins and aunt yesterday. I exchanged pleasantries, had a 5 minute conversation with my grandmother and aunt at the same time, then watched as everyone else began to talk among each other. I just didn't have anything that I needed to add to the conversations. However, as I sat on the couch watching everyone, I thought, "If someone came over to me and had a very genuine interest in having a direct conversation with me, I'd be thrilled."

I just don't see socializing as a necessity if there isn't something to be gained that adds to my own personal goals. I make it a point to try to talk to new people, but only because I've come to the conclusion that it's a weakness of mine that I'm incapable of making long term friendships. Because it's a personal weakness, I see it as something to work on. I'm just very structure oriented in my mind and can't really see any other way to conduct my life than to create routines.

If you talk to me frequently, you'll notice that I have two words I say a lot: relevant and accomplish. I won't hesitate to ask someone, "Why is that relevant?" or "What exactly are you trying to accomplish?" I just constantly have this voice in my head telling me that I need to be more disciplined and competent. If I'm incapable of doing something or I do something wrong, I can't act like it didn't happen. I have to correct it. It's there. My pride comes from my own personal ability to accomplish what I set out to do. That's why ISTJs are the type to start something, stick to it, and finish it. The Si makes us enjoy the commitment and Te moves us to finish what we started.

In terms of relationships, I don't see a value in relationships unless there's something I'm gaining from it. I won't add anything to a relationship if I feel it won't be worth the energy expenditure. I realized lately that with a girlfriend, I don't want someone that will affect the way I deal with my life. I want to separate the structure over my life from romantic relationships. I'm not in it for the relationship. I'm in it for the emotional fulfillment.

If I had read a description of a perceiver 5 years ago, I would've disregarded it as people trying to justify laziness. I really do enjoy my personal leisure time, but even then, it's structured and I feel so incredibly uncomfortable just letting things be.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
If I'm with the right people, usually people I know really well, then I can be the most entertaining, funny person. Otherwise, the truth is yes, I am very serious.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Anyone care to bite?
So people have answered as the OP had said they would.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
OMG Edgar, that picture is hilarious. Looks like my roommate when he was young. Haahaha.

Atomic Fiend

I'm just not sure what you mean by serious. I always viewed Fe or ExxJs as being so fucking serious. Taking into consideration other people is a large energy expenditure to me, and when I think of it, it makes me think of my mother telling me when I was younger to do something just to be nice to someone. ExxJs are constantly evaluating their environment and telling you what is out of order. I don't really care that much. It's more about that I have my own personal goals, and I use the structure to accomplish those goals, rather than focusing on structure as a priority. Is it society's definition of "serious" as not wanting constantly socialize or participate in something that has order as a goal? I actually really like socializing and enjoy recreational activities. It's just very specific.

In terms of socializing, I prefer very few and very intimate connections rather than a slew of friends. I find enjoyment in focusing my efforts greatly on a specific person. This makes me end up becoming more "obsessed" with someone as I enjoy the focus.

For instance, I went to visit my grandparents, cousins and aunt yesterday. I exchanged pleasantries, had a 5 minute conversation with my grandmother and aunt at the same time, then watched as everyone else began to talk among each other. I just didn't have anything that I needed to add to the conversations. However, as I sat on the couch watching everyone, I thought, "If someone came over to me and had a very genuine interest in having a direct conversation with me, I'd be thrilled."

I just don't see socializing as a necessity if there isn't something to be gained that adds to my own personal goals. I make it a point to try to talk to new people, but only because I've come to the conclusion that it's a weakness of mine that I'm incapable of making long term friendships. Because it's a personal weakness, I see it as something to work on. I'm just very structure oriented in my mind and can't really see any other way to conduct my life than to create routines.

If you talk to me frequently, you'll notice that I have two words I say a lot: relevant and accomplish. I won't hesitate to ask someone, "Why is that relevant?" or "What exactly are you trying to accomplish?" I just constantly have this voice in my head telling me that I need to be more disciplined and competent. If I'm incapable of doing something or I do something wrong, I can't act like it didn't happen. I have to correct it. It's there. My pride comes from my own personal ability to accomplish what I set out to do. That's why ISTJs are the type to start something, stick to it, and finish it. The Si makes us enjoy the commitment and Te moves us to finish what we started.

In terms of relationships, I don't see a value in relationships unless there's something I'm gaining from it. I won't add anything to a relationship if I feel it won't be worth the energy expenditure. I realized lately that with a girlfriend, I don't want someone that will affect the way I deal with my life. I want to separate the structure over my life from romantic relationships. I'm not in it for the relationship. I'm in it for the emotional fulfillment.

If I had read a description of a perceiver 5 years ago, I would've disregarded it as people trying to justify laziness. I really do enjoy my personal leisure time, but even then, it's structured and I feel so incredibly uncomfortable just letting things be.
This is actually a quite enlightening post.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
My real life experience: ISTJ's shut up and follow me. We'll make it.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
That means improvising in case of troublle. Not everything has to carry each and every one of the 625 members of congress signatures', barack obama's signature, The approval of the entire UN, and the supreme court's positive rulling.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm pretty sure my past roommate is an ISTJ. At first I was kind of put-off by her because her personality could have been described as very "dry" and orthodox, and that sort of intimidates/depresses me, but after getting to know her I found that around certain people she could be really silly and funny. But that was only around people she seemed to really like.