User Tag List

Page 1 of 259 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 2590

Thread: Ask an ESTJ!

  1. #1
    came back haunted Array EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    17,770

    Default Ask an ESTJ!

    Hey all! I made this thread in response to a few things:

    1. My experience with the rampant misconceptions about ESTJs that so many members have here (based on very limited personal experience, if any),
    2. Loads of random people on TypoC asking me questions about the ESTJs in their lives, because I'm one of the only semi-actively-posting ESTJs here, and
    3. All the people who want me (and the other ESTJs here) to try to make a difference on this site.

    Here's the idea: if anybody has any questions that only an ESTJ can answer (and please, no spamming!), do so here. I'll do my best to help you out. Also, I reqest that other ESTJs help out on this thread here too. This doesn't have to be a one-woman battle! But you obviously shouldn't feel obligated to help out if you don't want to. I can do this on my own if necessary.

    EDIT: Don't be afraid to post here! I won't bite.

    So here I am. Questions, anyone?
    Last edited by EJCC; 06-13-2009 at 02:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken impersonating EJCC
    It's strange. I keep banning morons, but they keep signing up? What is this?
    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Mademoiselle, bilbotook, Rouskyrie liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array professor goodstain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Have you ever been interested in journalism?

    i did notice that you wrote one-woman battle? There is absolutely no intent for connection between the first question and the second observation question Ne coincidence or something. Not being sarcastic. Thanks.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

  3. #3
    came back haunted Array EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    17,770

    Default

    I have at times been interested in journalism. I was put off it by my high school journalism teacher, who was absolutely horrible. I decided it wasn't worth it.
    However, I adore the romantic image of the investigative journalist: fighting for justice and nonpartisan truth, etc. I am a HUGE fan of Edward R. Murrow and I.F. Stone. I wish that there were more investigative journalists out there today - or at least, I wish that those that exist got more attention. (EDIT: I have trouble watching the news; it seems to me to be incredibly shallow and skewed. I prefer to listen to the radio or read the newspaper; I subscribe to the New York Times Online.)

    Also, yes, I am a lady. However, on this site, I consider my type to be more important/relevant than my gender; I'm not that great with "womanly advice", which is to be expected, considering my type
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken impersonating EJCC
    It's strange. I keep banning morons, but they keep signing up? What is this?
    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  4. #4
    Iron Maiden Array fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    9,597

    Default

    What a great idea to start a thread like this! Considering that you guys make up 13% of the population, there needs to be more information out there!

    One of the things I've learned from two of the ESTJs I know is that initiating get togethers, assuming people would invite you, approaching new people and making things happen makes people respond warmly to you. Both are very popular people for this reason. I guess we all are a little insecure inside and the ESTJ compulsion to do this makes them feel liked and included. My ESTJ and I knew other coworkers for the same amount of time and lived in the same area as all of them, but invitations consistently were directed towards him or for him to pass them on to me. I consider myself quite warm and very friendly to those who approach me, but I tend to be more of a responder. We have a lot to learn from you in that sense.

    I have had the experience in the past of working on a project with an ESTJ. I appreciated the organization, helpfulness and networking he brought to it. However, it was an area that was my domain and I found that he would take over even areas that I had more knowledge of and that it was appropriate for me to deal with. Over time, as I got more confident, I dug my heels in a little bit more and found it did not go over well. Is this typical? When working with ESTJs on a team, how do you involve them without them running the whole thing, or does that just go with the territory? Although my type seems to be attracted to extroverts who tend to take charge, we also have specific ideas of how we want something done and do not want to do a lot of the work without anyone being aware of our involvement or respecting us as leaders when it is appropriate.

    What type are ESTJs often attracted to?

    What aspects of NFs would an ESTJ find attractive? What aspects annoy or create friction, both personally and in a work environment?

    Would you say that ESTJs prefer to work alone or enjoy the process of working on a committee?

  5. #5
    Iron Maiden Array fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    9,597

    Default

    Do you think that ESTJs generally tend to be good with IT stuff? The ones I know tend to be good at searching out info, using help sections on programs and therefore know more than many people about computers.

  6. #6
    Widdles in your cream. Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Would an ESTJ mother have rose-coloured spectacles when evaluating their children, or would they be brutally honest? My mother's an ESTJ and she always insists how pretty I am, how great a figure I have, etc. Is this merely her way of trying to boost my confidence, or is she being honest? Or is she just being a proud mother who stares at a vulture and sees a swan?

    She swears she's being objective, but I'm still sceptical.
    Um, yeah.

  7. #7
    Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    My ESTJ is extremely attached to her family. To the point where I think it will prevent me from enjoying our relationship to the fullest and she makes terrible fiscal decisions in terms of birthdays and holidays. She'd probably live right next door to her mom if she could, which of course I will not allow, I need a buffer. I don't know how to bring her over reliance on her mother up without making her extremely upset and accusatory, which has happened before.



  8. #8
    came back haunted Array EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    17,770

    Default

    Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone!

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I have had the experience in the past of working on a project with an ESTJ. I appreciated the organization, helpfulness and networking he brought to it. However, it was an area that was my domain and I found that he would take over even areas that I had more knowledge of and that it was appropriate for me to deal with. Over time, as I got more confident, I dug my heels in a little bit more and found it did not go over well. Is this typical? When working with ESTJs on a team, how do you involve them without them running the whole thing, or does that just go with the territory?
    I think that, sadly, that is pretty typical. What it is, is that he trusts himself more than he trusts you. I know that I, personally, would be more likely to do the work myself if I don't trust anyone else to do the work in (what I would consider to be) the CORRECT way. But if you were to prove to him, without a doubt, that you are trustworthy and competent, then he would have NO problem delegating some authority to you.

    What type are ESTJs often attracted to?
    It really, really depends on the ESTJ. We all have different needs. I know ESTJs who love going out with SPs, but I prefer NFs and NTs. I think ESTJs prefer certain people because of non-type-related factors, much more so than type-related ones. For instance, ESTJs would PREFER if their romantic interests agreed with them on most things (or could be easily convinced).

    What aspects of NFs would an ESTJ find attractive? What aspects annoy or create friction, both personally and in a work environment?
    An ESTJ would like that NFs would understand them, and listen to them, and they wouldn't feel like they would look down on them for showing emotion once and a while. I know that I trust NFs very easily (personally, I mean). NFs balance us out, which is always a good thing. However (and this might just be INFJs), but ESTJs would get pretty annoyed by NFs complaining all the time about all these different things and not doing anything about them! Their fear of conflict might get irritating, especially in a work environment (example being: ESTJ and NF agree on something, conflict begins, NF bails out and ESTJ is left completely alone, hurt and pissed off). But mostly, from my experience, since ESTJs get over conflicts way, way easier than NFs do, the NFs would be more irritated by the ESTJs than vice versa.

    Would you say that ESTJs prefer to work alone or enjoy the process of working on a committee?
    It depends. If the committee is easy to work with, and consenses (is that a word?) can occur quickly; if the committee is more efficient, in the ESTJ's mind, than working alone; THEN an ESTJ would prefer a committee.

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Do you think that ESTJs generally tend to be good with IT stuff? The ones I know tend to be good at searching out info, using help sections on programs and therefore know more than many people about computers.
    Yeah, sure. Well, the nerdier ones would be, anyway. That's probably another thing that would vary depending on the ESTJ. We're good at working on things that others might consider to be monotonous, for long periods of time, without much of a break. So that might make them innately good at IT work (or, rather, certain types of IT work). But the question would be, would they WANT to do that? I know that I'd rather leave it to the NTs

    Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    Would an ESTJ mother have rose-coloured spectacles when evaluating their children, or would they be brutally honest? My mother's an ESTJ and she always insists how pretty I am, how great a figure I have, etc. Is this merely her way of trying to boost my confidence, or is she being honest? Or is she just being a proud mother who stares at a vulture and sees a swan?

    She swears she's being objective, but I'm still sceptical.
    Well, every mother has rose-colored glasses. However, I doubt that she would lie to you to boost your confidence. So, I think she's telling (what she wholeheartedly considers to be) the truth (even if it may only be true in her eyes). I'm not sure, though, because I don't have children.

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    My ESTJ is extremely attached to her family. To the point where I think it will prevent me from enjoying our relationship to the fullest and she makes terrible fiscal decisions in terms of birthdays and holidays. She'd probably live right next door to her mom if she could, which of course I will not allow, I need a buffer. I don't know how to bring her over reliance on her mother up without making her extremely upset and accusatory, which has happened before.
    Okay, in all honesty, there is NO WAY in HELL that you can "bring her over her reliance on her mother". You can't get between an ESTJ and her family. I'd recommend that you reason with her logically, e.g. "I know this is important to you, but could we do this in a way that's fiscally responsible? I have these ideas X and Y, and I think they'd work better..." The choice really shouldn't be between your relationship and her family. Both should be in there somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken impersonating EJCC
    It's strange. I keep banning morons, but they keep signing up? What is this?
    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  9. #9
    Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Okay, in all honesty, there is NO WAY in HELL that you can "bring her over her reliance on her mother". You can't get between an ESTJ and her family. I'd recommend that you reason with her logically, e.g. "I know this is important to you, but could we do this in a way that's fiscally responsible? I have these ideas X and Y, and I think they'd work better..." The choice really shouldn't be between your relationship and her family. Both should be in there somewhere.
    Haha, I was afraid of that. She flat out refuses to live more than 10 minutes away and her inclusion of her mother in everything makes me feel like she's intruding on something that is mine. I keep getting these flashes of Everybody Loves Raymond.

    Also, I hate having to make decisions that are tied to so many people. I just want to be happy with her, it's all I really need. I don't like how my family decisions have to include everybody in hers too. I hate being tethered and tied down.



  10. #10
    came back haunted Array EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    17,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Haha, I was afraid of that. She flat out refuses to live more than 10 minutes away and her inclusion of her mother in everything makes me feel like she's intruding on something that is mine. I keep getting these flashes of Everybody Loves Raymond.
    Jeez! I didn't realize just HOW connected to her family she was. I misread it, I guess - I looked at that and thought "I rely on my mother...", but I certainly don't rely THAT much on my mother. That changes the whole thing! Forget what I said before.

    Also, I hate having to make decisions that are tied to so many people. I just want to be happy with her, it's all I really need. I don't like how my family decisions have to include everybody in hers too. I hate being tethered and tied down.
    This might sound weird, but have you tried telling her how you feel about it? ESTJs really value honesty, and, after all, love is all about compromise. She should know that. She's probably just oblivious to how you're feeling, and if you call her attention to it (tactfully), she'll (hopefully) react constructively and positively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken impersonating EJCC
    It's strange. I keep banning morons, but they keep signing up? What is this?
    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Page 1 of 259 1231151101 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Ask an INTJ
    By logan235711 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 870
    Last Post: 05-22-2015, 05:04 AM
  2. [ISFJ] How to ask an ISFJ out?
    By Grungemouse in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
  3. [MBTItm] How do you spot an ESTJ female?
    By INTJMom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •