• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] Ask an ESTJ!

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Interesting question. I'd never really thought about this. I guess true sympathy is hardly ever involved, with me. Usually, when I look back on something inconsiderate that I've said, my reactions have been
1. Embarrassment, and
2. Self loathing.
e.g. "How could I have been such an idiot??? Now that person hates me, and I don't know what to do. Stupid stupid stupid!"
But I don't really empathize with the person. I guess I should, but I don't. I'm not that good with empathy... :unsure:

Very interesting. This sort of leads me to another question: how do you handle people's strong feelings? For a more complex specific example: How would you react if somebody wronged you, making you angry, then you realized the person that wronged you was much more angry/disappointed/frustrated with themselves than you could have ever been at them? I had a bit of a mental breakdown yesterday. Not sure how she perceived it... :mellow:

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Like if everything that you see it's not real. That it might be and illusion or something? It's weird.

Life is a dream. The map is not the territory. It's possible to alter the maps of people by doing remarkable things. It's amazing how easily people can forget and move on. On the other hand, somethings are deeply embedded in peoples psyche. WWII, pearl harbor, 911, Ancient Rome.

How significant is this thing you worry about in the grand scheme of things? If it's of little significance, forget about it and move on. If you drag it along like unwanted baggage it could drag you under.

I personally forgive and forget very easily. Continuing as if nothing happened comes naturally.

If I were on the receiving end and knew whatever it is would not affect me going forward I have no reason to worry about or dwell on it.

fill

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It seems that to a lot of people, ESTJs are asses themselves. Since they come in all types and shapes and sizes, I couldn't judge them as a whole. Maybe a more specific description of what you're talking about could help.

It's not really being an ass as much as using Fe to express Ti, which is like exposing somebody's inconsistent logic in a lighthearted way. For example, the ESTJ I know was saying/sort of complaining how a bunch of her friends including me don't have lunch together when we all eat at the same time. I said, "Well, next time you should... Oh, what's that thing people do when they want to get together- Call me!" Actually, she said that was quite cute, and she really appreciated it.

I just answered my own question. Again. Oh, the wonderful life of a dominant Ni...

G

Ginkgo

Question about the ESTJ shadow:

When you make an ESTJ angry (by effectively rendering her belief as invalid), why does she feel the need to ignore me? Is this the INFP shadow coming out?

Another question: Do you think the ESTJ+ENTP combination is good? Why or why not?
Thank you. :)

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
When you make an ESTJ angry (by effectively rendering her belief as invalid), why does she feel the need to ignore me? Is this the INFP shadow coming out?
My beliefs and morals don't change easily. If you're arrogant about what you believe, keep in mind that we're the same way about what we believe, but we're less open to another possibility.

Another question: Do you think the ESTJ+ENTP combination is good? Why or why not?
Thank you. :)

I'm gonna go with no on this one. Of course, as always, it varies upon the individual, but for my case and most other ESTJs, I don't see this working. From what I understand, the ENTP uses their thinking a lot differently than we do. The closed-mindedness of SJ doesn't seem like a great match with the open-mindedness of NP. Like I said in the answer to the other question, we have our strong beliefs, and we don't really care to change them.

Jaguar

My beliefs and morals don't change easily. If you're arrogant about what you believe, keep in mind that we're the same way about what we believe, but we're less open to another possibility.

Beliefs and morals? Sounds mighty F to me.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
Beliefs and morals? Sounds mighty F to me.

The poster who asked the question used the word belief, so that's what I used in my answer. By morals, I mean the ways I've chosen to live my life and how I prioritize certain things and why I do and don't do certain things. For example, I've made the decision to not procreate, so I make sure that everything I do fulfills that moral. Maybe I didn't chose the right word, but if it's my own type that you're questioning, I am definitely T.

G

Ginkgo

The poster who asked the question used the word belief, so that's what I used in my answer. By morals, I mean the ways I've chosen to live my life and how I prioritize certain things and why I do and don't do certain things. For example, I've made the decision to not procreate, so I make sure that everything I do fulfills that moral. Maybe I didn't chose the right word, but if it's my own type that you're questioning, I am definitely T.

When I said "belief", I meant either a factual or moral basis. So thank you for answering in accordance. :)

I have an ESTJ friend who has been in a relationship with an ENTP for over a year now. In fact, they're going to separate colleges, which puts a strain on their relationship. However, they still manage to keep it together. :hug:

She used to complain to me that her ENTP boyfriend loved to argue. I suppose that's why she talked to me, because I'm almost always agreeable. She also hated how he was so messy! :tongue:

Seeing the dynamics of a conformist ESTJ with a rebellious ENTP is rather amusing, to be honest. :tongue: I hope they don't break up.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? The reason why I didn't ask how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood is because that is irrelevant: No matter how much wood the woodchuck could chuck, it will only chuck as much as it would.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
Like I said, it varies upon the individual. I seriously doubt that a relationship between me and an ENTP or INTP or another similar type would happen, but if it's working fine for them, then that's great.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know some of these have been answered already, but it's good to have multiple perspectives...

To Fidelia and MDP2525: I'm really sorry... both of your situations suck. I know you're the ones who are supposed to be asking the questions, but do you think that ALL ESTJs are inherently selfish? Or have you both just had bad times with unhealthy ESTJs?

Very interesting. This sort of leads me to another question: how do you handle people's strong feelings? For a more complex specific example: How would you react if somebody wronged you, making you angry, then you realized the person that wronged you was much more angry/disappointed/frustrated with themselves than you could have ever been at them? I had a bit of a mental breakdown yesterday. Not sure how she perceived it... :mellow:
A response to the general question:
I tend to react in bewilderment... If they're a friend, it's something like: "Jeez, this is serious business. They aren't doing so well! I know I need to do something, but I don't know what it is!" If someone I know is crying, or feeling down, I might offer to do something with them to distract them, e.g. come and watch a funny movie. Or I might give them a hug, or just sit next to them for a while, not saying anything. But I don't have many good tactical options, so if nothing I know how to do to comfort someone actually HELPS, I'll resort to, say, hugging them, and then leaving in embarrassment. But that's if I actually CARE. If they AREN'T my friend, I'll just go "Huh, that was intense. I wonder what that was all about..." and then leave.

A response to the specific question:
I guess I would pity them, and then go talk to them about it. Either that, or I'd feel awkward, and not talk to them, waiting for THEM to take the initiative. That is, AFTER I forgave them for the wrongdoing. Depending on how upset I got about it, it might take me a while to get to the pitying stage.
Un-asked-for advice: I'd apologize, and tell her what you just told me/the other ESTJs about it, and then see what happens. Better to have closure, you know?

I've noticed two kinds of ESTJ the sort of fartherly or motherly protective kind who look out for people and actually help the less detail orientated and realize intuition has a different use and powerful in other situations and then there's the ones who seem hell bent on changing other people to their "standard"

Now obviously EJCC is the first one :) but I still none the less wonder if they are secretly frustrated and filled with hate?!
Aw :wubbie: Thanks! I will say, though, that sometimes I wish that everyone agreed with me, and did things the way I do... but that's not very realistic, is it? Ya gotta be pragmatic.
Do you feel you have an intolerance of other types (especially those mentioned above) and how does this manifest itself with you?

I guess I'm mostly curious about this because intolerance of other personalities is quite foreign to me, when I don't like someone its generally BECAUSE they have some kind of intolerance towards me.
I get frustrated when people do things that I don't understand, or can't relate to. I have this fixed idea in my mind of what "normal", or "common sense", is, and when people don't do things like that, I just don't understand! And naturally, since I think of my way as "common sense" (I'm sorry to say), I can feel like the ways of Perceivers is the "wrong way". (I mention them specifically because, even though I'm not in the least bit intolerant of iNtuitors, I can't figure out Perceivers to save my life.) If I could RELATE to you guys, I wouldn't think like that. Perhaps... if spontaneity and impulse ruled the day, I would feel better about it. But I live in a culture that values J - being on time, planning everything out, etc. If I lived somewhere like, say, Tajikistan, where no one is really expected to be "on time", then I would be totally fine with it. You see what I mean?
Question about the ESTJ shadow:

For me, it's like self-defense. When people question my beliefs, I take it VERY personally. It's like my ways are being attacked, and my instinct is to guard them. So, when I fight back, I'm really saying "You can't do this! You can't defeat me! There's fight in me yet! It's only a flesh wound! I'll bite your legs off! Come and get me, you bastard!"
... this is why, to answer your other question, I don't always get along with ENTPs. They cause that reaction in me all the time. (That's also why I was never on the debate team in high school or college... debates make me angry and irrational, neither of which is fun for me.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In my experience ESTJs and INTPs typically don't work well together. We are like chalk and cheese. An ESTJ might typically ask for something and expect it to materialize. They exert authority and expect results. Everyone needs some motivation. INTPs, if like me, have to be motivated to the point of obsession for best results. The results can be very good.

My previous employer was a great employer. They treated me very well. But they were unable to motivate me to the point of obsession. The result was a perpetual inability to focus, and mediocre results. Since leaving the results have been completely different. I am focused like a laser. So much so that the rest of my life is falling apart through neglect.
Interesting situation... and I think I can explain it. I'd say that most ESTJs (and probably most ISTJs, too) can be VERY self-motivated, just by the fact that they get an assignment, and they do it. No need for any interest in the topic - just appropriate instructions. It's more FUN when you're interested, but it can be done otherwise. Of course, I've always been kind of a nerd, academically speaking (my GPA has always been very high), and not all ESTJs/ISTJs do. So I'm sure there are MANY exceptions.

So anyways, it's good to know that this isn't the case for everybody. If more ESTJs knew that about INTPs, I'm sure that their working relationships would be a lot better. 'Cause I agree - those two types can work incredibly well together, under certain circumstances.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
EJCC - I don't know what to think about ESTJs. I am not characterizing them all based on the one I knew well. At the same time, I am curious to see what similarities there are in outlook.

I know that different types have strengths and weaknesses particular to them. I find many things about ESTJs attractive. At the same time, I wonder if their general outlook will always be more focussed on themselves and their ambitions. I want to be a partner with someone and not a rose in their lapel. I have seen the same dynamic with my ENTJ uncle. I wonder if it's a TJ thing. It's not fair to ask someone to be different than who they are. I have a lot to offer someone, but I need someone who wants what I have to offer as well. So I guess some of this is sorting out what is specific to ESTJs and what is specific to the ESTJ I knew. I want to know for the future if this is an unworkable personality combo that will end up hurting each other, or if it's a basically workable one as long as both parties are healthy and willing to flex. I very much value what you have to say about this stuff EJCC and I don't ever want you to think that it is that I am just ragging on you guys as a type. It's more a matter of understanding who you are as a type and what makes you tick. Most of the time when there are misunderstandings it's only a function of lacking some piece of information. Since you are available as a source, I want to make the most of it and fill in the gaps where I may have overlooked something!

fill

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I get frustrated when people do things that I don't understand, or can't relate to. I have this fixed idea in my mind of what "normal", or "common sense", is, and when people don't do things like that, I just don't understand!

What about unconventional-ism? I've always tended to do things normally but in a slightly different way, and I'll get this "You're so awkward!" statement thrown at me; my response is usually, "only if you make it that way." Sorry if I'm being too general. I can't really give specific examples.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What about unconventional-ism? I've always tended to do things normally but in a slightly different way, and I'll get this "You're so awkward!" statement thrown at me; my response is usually, "only if you make it that way." Sorry if I'm being too general. I can't really give specific examples.
Hm... if it's only SLIGHTLY different, then there's no problem. I'll be able to process that, and relate to it. I might think it's "weird", but I won't HATE you for it. No way! But ENTPs... well, some of them make a point of questioning absolutely everything, for no real reason except that it's fun for them. Which is something that I'd NEVER do, and that I can't relate to so well.
I hope that answered your question...

I know that different types have strengths and weaknesses particular to them. I find many things about ESTJs attractive. At the same time, I wonder if their general outlook will always be more focussed on themselves and their ambitions. I want to be a partner with someone and not a rose in their lapel. I have seen the same dynamic with my ENTJ uncle. I wonder if it's a TJ thing. It's not fair to ask someone to be different than who they are. I have a lot to offer someone, but I need someone who wants what I have to offer as well.
I know for a fact that ESTJ/INFJ relationships can work. But both parties need to be open-minded, committed, and accepting. I know this isn't a romantic relationship, but my mom's an INFJ and we're best friends. I would do almost anything for her.

But nonetheless (warning: irrelevant rant time! prepare yourself!), I wonder sometimes if I can ever care about people in the same way that Fs do. I mean, I'm not exactly a nurturing type. I'm more willing to embrace the impersonal than the personal. I don't have a high tolerance for drama, or "girl talk". I'm not always the most sympathetic listener, and... well, I don't know how to express it, except for that. But on the other hand, if a loved one is feeling bad, I genuinely want to make them feel better. I'm not trying to use them for my personal gain, like a little kid might - e.g. "I'd better make Mommy feel better, 'cause she's no fun when she's sad" - I really want to solve their problems. I'm uber-protective of my friends and family, and I want them to be happy, and cared/provided for. So either way, I guess we can be more selfish, but we really do care, too.

This is an example of how I might express my care (pretending that the guy is a girl (me)):

0511-0809-2414-2261_Man_Serving_His_Wife_Breakfast_in_Bed_Clip_Art_clipart_image.jpg

p.s. The reason why I'm obsessing over this is that the common ground between you and MDP2525 - the "I get away and they reel me in again" thing - is something that I don't relate to, and that makes me very sad, and that I really would like to think that I don't do. Both of you have talked to me about your respective problems with those ESTJs, and the fact that you had to do that at ALL is a sign, to me, that they aren't typical ESTJs, and that they're probably both unhealthy in some way (MDP's being more healthy, probably, than yours). And also... I'm not sure how willing I am to consider the bolded statement. Maybe it's true? But that's depressing.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks so much EJCC! I really don't want it to be true and I know that mine was under stress most of the time we were together (living in a place where people refuse to plan ahead on any front is highly stressful, as well as our undecided future together.) I guess what keeps me coming back to it is that I have always had SJs close to me in my life. I admired so many things about this ESTJ and when things were good, it truly was a great connection. When things are sorted out in my head it feels like at last I can tuck them away and then enjoy the good parts about the whole thing. I so appreciate your patience and willingness to answer questions without taking them as being a personal attack. I don't know if I could have done the same nearly so well as you do all the time on this thread. I really feel like I've learned a lot from you. I wonder how much difference there is between male and female ESTJs and I'm very glad that you have been able to be a "translater" of sorts for your type!

PS Your picture made me laugh! It's so true and that's one of the things I love about you guys!

Unique

Aw :wubbie: Thanks! I will say, though, that sometimes I wish that everyone agreed with me, and did things the way I do... but that's not very realistic, is it? Ya gotta be pragmatic.

I get frustrated when people do things that I don't understand, or can't relate to. I have this fixed idea in my mind of what "normal", or "common sense", is, and when people don't do things like that, I just don't understand! And naturally, since I think of my way as "common sense" (I'm sorry to say), I can feel like the ways of Perceivers is the "wrong way". (I mention them specifically because, even though I'm not in the least bit intolerant of iNtuitors, I can't figure out Perceivers to save my life.) If I could RELATE to you guys, I wouldn't think like that. Perhaps... if spontaneity and impulse ruled the day, I would feel better about it. But I live in a culture that values J - being on time, planning everything out, etc. If I lived somewhere like, say, Tajikistan, where no one is really expected to be "on time", then I would be totally fine with it. You see what I mean?

Well for me perceiving has saved me boat loads of time by only completing what's absolutely necessary

Lets take a look at two scenarios one where P is has advantage and the other J...

A boss needs his P worker on a certain day in the near future he wasn't normally down for, the P says no because even though they have that day free something else may come up, the J worker makes a decision straight away and lets his boss know

Now the second scenario is that the shopping needs to be done but the P type doesn't do this straight away and sits on it for a while, a day later the banking also needs to be done the P type then goes and knocks both tasks out of the way

Now this isn't to say Js don't sometimes run into the "get two things done at once" situations, they do... but Ps actually go about creating these situations all the time often piling up 3, 4 and even more tasks to complete in one giant swoop

I guess for me as a perceiver "more completed" doesn't necessarily mean "more productive"

TBH I don't really know how true the "Ps are late" thing really is as I'm never late to anything important.... "sure a party at 7ish" I may be

The key difference I've seen is Ps like to leave doors open
Js like to close doors

I see Js making more effort for less results around me all the time not saying this is true for all Js but it certainly begs the question... how much more productive is J really?

From what I can tell if you had a balanced perceiver and balanced judger and let them both run 2 stores (for example) identical in nature I highly doubt one would run more productively than the other

Not saying that you see P as unproductive but you mentioned you don't understand it and this seems to be the common misconception

As for this being mostly a J world... statistically speaking there may be slightly more Js but its almost 50/50

It appears more J because J has dominated since early times though these days I see more and more P (SP especially) starting to shine through as people are becoming tired of the same old approaches in this ever changing and evolving world

T-Guy

MBTI Type
ESTJ
You know, being productive is only useful if you can finish your tasks on time. There is no point being productive once the deadlines have passed.

Regarding your question about how much more productive is someone who favours the Judging function, maybe we can compare our schedules.

I have 15 hours of classes, 10.5 hours of part time job, and 5 hours of volunteer and extra-curricular activities every week. I finish all my readings and assignments before every class and get straight A's. I also party every weekend and complete all my house choirs such as cleaning the apartment, getting groceries, repairing damages and what not.

fill

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Do you have issues with trusting people's opinions- or people in general? I think she's realizing I'm one to be trusted, but it's a very slow process. I suppose I can't complain as I'm the same way in many aspects.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
:worthy:I just discovered I can jump to any page! in a thread by clicking the down arrow to the right of the paging numbers.

I'm going to see what else it can do.:popc1: I'll post detailed instructions later!!